FiiO X5 beta firmware 2.06beta-2.07beta download and discussion: all sorts of sorting improvements!
Jul 26, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #151 of 189
Yeah, I know it's unexpected, but there it is. I'm sure it's not a USB spec issue but an issue with the way the Mac is seeing the cards. The Mac mounts both cards but when I browse them both at the same time they are ejected automatically.

Running Mavericks on a recent MacBook Pro. Like I said earlier, it could be an OSX issue or a Fiio issue but I can work around it easily by simply browsing one card at a time.

I've browsed multiple partitions on a single card, and multiple drives on a single USB connection (via a hub) many times on my Mac. Generally I haven't had any problems, but OS X is fairly aggressive with it's timeouts. Maybe the X5 is just a little slow when using both cards at once (this is guess-work and speculation). I haven't had any issues with the X3, browsing internal memory and the card at the same time - not that I do it often. Maybe the internal memory is just fast enough to not trigger the timeout.

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #153 of 189
For those who want to test with a Mac, my App is baked enough for testing - I synced 230+GB to two 128GB cards yesterday.

Short version:
Run the app.
Connect your X5
App detects DAP, copies over music and playlists, then ejects the DAP

Long version:
* Expects one or two drives: X5 TF1    and/or    X5 TF2
  (if you formatted using the X5, you're good to go. You can connect the cards to your Mac, or
   simply plug the X5 in as a USB Storage device)
* Auto detects iTunes Library
* Splits your music between two cards - you select which music lives on which card
* Copies any music in the playlist "Dapper Music" to the drives.
* Copies any playlists which start with the word Dapper.  Eg   Dapper Classical Music
* Copies any   folder.jpg   files over
* Copies changed or new files only (Based on file size)
* Options for auto-sync when the DAP (drives) are connected
* Option to auto eject the DAP drives when done.
* Multi threaded - will copy to both cards simultaneously.

Please give it a try and report back any issues

Download beta version here   Thread for discussion is here

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #154 of 189
Some input. Please hide roles you do not recognize in the navigation window, or at least allow us to hide "hidden
 Mac files.

On Mac OSX systems, there are a lot of hidden files - they all begin with a period/full stop:

Code:
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)] [color=rgb(34, 34, 34)]$ ls -a /Volumes/X5 TF1 .Spotlight-V100 .Trashes ._.Trashes .disk .fseventsd[/color][/color]

If the devs can insert a simple line that says:
if(filename[0]=='.')exit;
it will make life a lot less messy. :)

Also, a full beta version of the iTunes Sync tool is up and will auto update from this point forward:

Download beta version here - Updated Jul 28, 2014

Jul 28, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #156 of 189
Now that I have gotten someone to look into the ordering problem I am seeing with my WMA files on 2.07beta.  Here is the next thing I think is totally wrong.  If I use the All files interface to look for a particular song I want to play it is nearly useless.  If you download album directories from WMP then all the song files are of the form "track# space track title"  It appears that the all songs list is created from the file name and so it sorts into a form that makes it very difficult to locate a particular song since all the track 01 songs are listed followed by all the track 02 songs, etc.  This is useless for finding a particular song  unless you happen to know what track it was on the album.  The All songs list should be alphabetical by Track title only.

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #157 of 189
  The All songs list should be alphabetical by Track title only.

Actually - most of us would prefer all Songs to be ordered by:
Artist > Album > Album Track

Has been quite a bit of discussion on this since release of the X5 - and this seems to be common consensus.

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #158 of 189

Has been quite a bit of discussion on this since release of the X5 - and this seems to be common consensus.

Hmm, Perhaps that has it's uses, I am looking from the perspective of trying to find a particular song to play and while I usually know the title, sometimes I don't remember the album or artist, especially when many of my albums are compilation albums.  Perhaps this could be something controlled via setting a mode flag of some sort.
Which brings up another deficiency.  To this point I have not found a way to just play a single song.  it always goes on to the next song in the particular album.  I often am not interested in hearing the next song in the list/album whatever.  It seems to me that the shortcut key could offer  the option of playing the album that is currently highlighted or if drilled down to a track that one track.  Note that for purposes of searching the music, the Artist>Album>Track seems to already be how the library works when I start from the play by category menu.

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #159 of 189

Note also that I am talking about the top level all songs list  in the play by category menu.  When going to artist selection , once an artist is selected I am fine with the all songs sublist in the selected artist list being sorted album > track.  I like the fact that there is a list of all songs by an artist.  but I think the list should also have all albums by that artist  so I can just select a desired album.  It sort of works that way now but seems to also list any compilation albums that the artist appears on. 

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #160 of 189

Is that album by year?

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #161 of 189
Yep - but if for instance I have (and I do have) six or seven Norah Jones albums, and I want an unbroken afternoon session with just her, me and a good book, ideal would be to select Norah Jones, select play all, and then have the X5 go through each album in track order (one after the other).

I can understand what you're after - I'm just not sure how practical it is for "the masses".

What would be better would be an actual search function - IE a filed where you could select all songs for actual characters.  But with the interface the X5 has - again, I'm not sure of the practicality of implementing this.  It's probably something for their next player - the android based X7 .......

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #162 of 189
Jul 28, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #163 of 189
  Some input. Please hide roles you do not recognize in the navigation window, or at least allow us to hide "hidden
 Mac files.

On Mac OSX systems, there are a lot of hidden files - they all begin with a period/full stop:

Code:
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)] [color=rgb(34, 34, 34)]$ ls -a /Volumes/X5 TF1 .Spotlight-V100 .Trashes ._.Trashes .disk .fseventsd[/color][/color]

Also, a full beta version of the iTunes Sync tool is up and will auto update from this point forward:

You could just submit a bug report to apple, since they are the ones responsible for the dot files :)

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #164 of 189

Mac files.

Code:
[color=rgb(51,51,51)]
[CODE]$ ls -a /Volumes/X5 TF1
.Spotlight-V100
.Trashes
._.Trashes
.disk
.fseventsd
[/color][/code]

I use Eject For Windows app to clear all of these files when I eject the cards. Works like a charm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back