FiiO X5 beta firmware 2.03 download and discussion. One word: Playlists!
Jun 26, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #61 of 82
In my "version" of 2.03b, the All Songs for an artist option displays the songs by that artist all in one bunch alphabetically.
For me, this is perfect as if I wanted to play an album, I would play the album so I don't need All Songs displayed by album. Having just an overall listing of songs by the artist I can then shuffle play is what I wanted so a simple alpha organization is just fine.

What are you talking about "version"? Only one version.

For listening to multiple albums of Floyd, for example, for a long day working and you didn't want to keep going in to the menu to switch albums then 2.02b is miles ahead with the Play All by artist. If you want it to be random then turn on shuffle, but for albums that flow from one song to the next it isn't good to sort alphabetically. Of course you could play by Album Category, but 2.02b is more convenient.

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #62 of 82
My point about version (in quotes in case you hadn't noticed), was that while it was claimed that the All Songs listing in 2.03b was all track number 1s, then 2s, etc, when I look at All Songs by an artist when I am using 2.03b, I do NOT see that. I simply see all the tracks from all the albums by that artist listed in a combined list alphabetically.

In addition, I was definitely asking for the Artist > Album as well as Albums categories to have their tracks listed by track number order, which is not the case currently in 2.03b. It is exactly because this is required to play songs that flow from one to another as in live albums, many by Pink Floyd, etc. that I mentioned it. Track number order, if made obtainable when selecting an album in the Artist > Album category, would make playing an album that flows together quite easy to do - as pretty much every other DAP I have ever used does.

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #63 of 82
My point about version (in quotes in case you hadn't noticed), was that while it was claimed that the All Songs listing in 2.03b was all track number 1s, then 2s, etc, when I look at All Songs by an artist when I am using 2.03b, I do NOT see that. I simply see all the tracks from all the albums by that artist listed in a combined list alphabetically.

In addition, I was definitely asking for the Artist > Album as well as Albums categories to have their tracks listed by track number order, which is not the case currently in 2.03b. It is exactly because this is required to play songs that flow from one to another as in live albums, many by Pink Floyd, etc. that I mentioned it. Track number order, if made obtainable when selecting an album in the Artist > Album category, would make playing an album that flows together quite easy to do - as pretty much every other DAP I have ever used does.

I'm not sure how the X5 is reading my tags vs yours in 2.02b and 2.03b but it lists songs by the track number and not alphabetically for me. Album category works flawlessly for me in both FW versions. Maybe check your music tags to get it to work for you.

.........(in quotes in case you hadn't noticed)..........

What's with all the attitude on Head Fi lately?

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #64 of 82

do you update/rebuild your library after flashing the firmware ? 

Jun 29, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #65 of 82
Originally Posted by LarryB08

The two things I feel should be fixed as soon as possible is, of course, the exceedingly small 5800 library track limit. If there has to be a limit, it should be at least 64K if not more (Also make sure when that limit is raised, that the library is built from all the tracks on both microSD cards combined. You do not want to be restricted to a library based on where the track is physically located, especially when you want, like I do, to be able to shuffle your entire music library). 

Have to agree that the 5800 track limit is crippling this device.  Why have 256 GB of storage over 2 microSD cards if you can't actually access many of the tracks because the library can't handle them?  In my case I sprung for 2 of the 128GB Sandisk cards, thinking I'd have room to store my 7800 FLAC files in one place and be able to get to them on the x5.  Nope.  Worst part is I have no idea what to do to be able to listen to any of the extra 2000 files that the x5 won't index.  I don't even know which ones they are until I happen to look for a track on the x5 and it's not there in the library.  If I could tell, I guess I could copy them to another card and switch in and out and rebuild the database whenever I want to listen to something, but seriously the ENTIRE reason I bought the x5 was for the storage.  PLEASE FiiO fix this limit in the next update!  You've got the playlists for those who wanted them.  You can perfect them later.  Now make use of that 256GB capacity!!

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #66 of 82
  Have to agree that the 5800 track limit is crippling this device.  Why have 256 GB of storage over 2 microSD cards if you can't actually access many of the tracks because the library can't handle them?  In my case I sprung for 2 of the 128GB Sandisk cards, thinking I'd have room to store my 7800 FLAC files in one place and be able to get to them on the x5.  Nope.  Worst part is I have no idea what to do to be able to listen to any of the extra 2000 files that the x5 won't index.  I don't even know which ones they are until I happen to look for a track on the x5 and it's not there in the library.  If I could tell, I guess I could copy them to another card and switch in and out and rebuild the database whenever I want to listen to something, but seriously the ENTIRE reason I bought the x5 was for the storage.  PLEASE FiiO fix this limit in the next update!  You've got the playlists for those who wanted them.  You can perfect them later.  Now make use of that 256GB capacity!!

+100000000000000000

Jun 30, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #67 of 82

Fiio has mentioned that the limit is due to the limited HW memory in the X5. A possible solution is to write the library index on the mSD card to overcome this limit. They have hinted that this may be coming (some time ago) so I've got my fingers crossed for the next FW.

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #68 of 82

The limit can easily be bypassed by using the folder browser on the X5.  I'm also eagerly awaiting a fix to this, however.

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #70 of 82
  In my "version" of 2.03b, the All Songs for an artist option displays the songs by that artist all in one bunch alphabetically.
For me, this is perfect as if I wanted to play an album, I would play the album so I don't need All Songs displayed by album. Having just an overall listing of songs by the artist I can then shuffle play is what I wanted so a simple alpha organization is just fine.

The two things I feel should be fixed as soon as possible is, of course, the exceedingly small 5800 library track limit. If there has to be a limit, it should be at least 64K if not more (Also make sure when that limit is raised, that the library is built from all the tracks on both microSD cards combined. You do not want to be restricted to a library based on where the track is physically located, especially when you want, like I do, to be able to shuffle your entire music library).

The second item is that the tracks displayed when choosing an album are always shown alphabetically and not in track order per the tag, which makes no sense. If I recall, this problem only existed in the 2.0 FW when you went to an album by way of the Artist category. But if you brought up the album via the Album category, the songs would be in track order.

In the 2.02 and 2.03 beta FW that I have tried, no matter how you get to an album, the tracks are only displayed alphabetically and not by track number and needs to be corrected no matter how you bring up an album.

Given how quickly updates are coming, I feel confident this excellent sounding player will only get better.

I have to aggree with the combining of both TF cards to a unified library.  That would eliminate trying to find that setting in the UI and make it even more an 'out of sight' player.
Keep up the good work FiiO. 

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #71 of 82
James, Joe & co. you may already be aware of this, but something in the 2.03b firmware seems to have caused issues during the auto library update. I have consistently had freezes during the scan after disconnecting from my computer. In the past versions of the FW I have always found a faulty file, but this time there wasn't one and the freeze occurred at different numbers in the file count.

I just reflashed to final firmware 2.0 and scanned the exact same list of files with no errors or freezes. I'm not sure if the reflashing fixed it somehow or if there is a bug in the 2.03b that is affecting the database building process.

Jul 4, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #72 of 82
Fiio has mentioned that the limit is due to the limited HW memory in the X5. A possible solution is to write the library index on the mSD card to overcome this limit. They have hinted that this may be coming (some time ago) so I've got my fingers crossed for the next FW.

Well, one could 'rip as one' certain albums with a common thread.  I.. I've done the old Jeff wayne War Of The Worlds as two single tracks, one for each CD.  Inconvenient perhaps, but might in a small way, work around the 5,800 track limit till FiiO comes up with a fix.

Jul 4, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #73 of 82
  Well, one could 'rip as one' certain albums with a common thread.  I.. I've done the old Jeff wayne War Of The Worlds as two single tracks, one for each CD.  Inconvenient perhaps, but might in a small way, work around the 5,800 track limit till FiiO comes up with a fix.

Nice idea!

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #74 of 82

Thats a pretty good idea, but not very convenient to go through your library and re-rip albums.

I have no need for more than 5800 songs currently and I was just replying to Venshr. I'm just hoping for it so I don't have to read about it on every other page in the main thread. :wink:

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #75 of 82
Thats a pretty good idea, but not very convenient to go through your library and re-rip albums.

I have no need for more than 5800 songs currently and I was just replying to Venshr. I'm just hoping for it so I don't have to read about it on every other page in the main thread.
wink.gif

As do I.  My big consern is making it more usable for a small minority of blind guys that find the player to be the best solution on the market at this time.  The X5 doesn't use the annoying touchscreen.  I really don't care about playlists and I don't have 5,800 songs to worry about at this time.  Reripping a few concept CDs in one's library might be a small work-around for some people.
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back