FiiO X5 beta firmware 2.03 download and discussion. One word: Playlists!
Jul 5, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #76 of 82
Well guys, i can provide some free training on "how to avoid reading what you're tired of reading" if that's really bothering you. But seriously, nothing surprising about reading so many comments about this library size limitation since what made the X5 attractive to many of us was the double SD slot and support for 128gb cards. That means lots of songs, that means big library you don't want to browse with a ... browser. Re-ripping my 2500+ CDs is not an option at all :wink:

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #77 of 82
  Well guys, i can provide some free training on "how to avoid reading what you're tired of reading" if that's really bothering you. But seriously, nothing surprising about reading so many comments about this library size limitation since what made the X5 attractive to many of us was the double SD slot and support for 128gb cards. That means lots of songs, that means big library you don't want to browse with a ... browser. Re-ripping my 2500+ CDs is not an option at all :wink:

I also like the idea of 128GBx2 memory, mainly so I can enjoy higher resolution material.  I have at most, about 1500 tracks  at this time.  I like whatever people choose to post for the most part.
Not saying one has to rerip 2.500 CDs.  It was just a thought that some concept albums could be ripped to cut down on the number of tracks to be indexed.  Do it or not FAIC.

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #78 of 82
As do I.  My big consern is making it more usable for a small minority of blind guys that find the player to be the best solution on the market at this time.  The X5 doesn't use the annoying touchscreen.  I really don't care about playlists and I don't have 5,800 songs to worry about at this time.  Reripping a few concept CDs in one's library might be a small work-around for some people.
Kevin

Really? That's actually very cool.

I apologize if I've set anyone off about reading too many 5800 song limit posts, I was just being cheeky. :xf_eek: I do understand that many people are hoping for a fix to this legitimate concern.

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #79 of 82
Fiio has mentioned that the limit is due to the limited HW memory in the X5. A possible solution is to write the library index on the mSD card to overcome this limit. They have hinted that this may be coming (some time ago) so I've got my fingers crossed for the next FW.

Thanks Relic.  If that would work, great! 

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #80 of 82
  The limit can easily be bypassed by using the folder browser on the X5.  I'm also eagerly awaiting a fix to this, however.

Thanks for the suggestion bubba.  I did figure that out, but unfortunately after many iterations/backups of my library on various DAPs and external HD's my files aren't arranged in folders that can easily be navigated this way.  Obviously, different DAPs employ different indexing strategies, but ultimately it's the point of any DAP's indexing system to read ID tags etc. and present the library to the user in a convenient interface.  How they do that doesn't matter...that it works efficiently does!

(Not to belabor the point...just wanted to thank those who who replied with thoughts/suggestions.  These forums are excellent!!  Cheers all!!)

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #81 of 82
Fiio has mentioned that the limit is due to the limited HW memory in the X5. A possible solution is to write the library index on the mSD card to overcome this limit. They have hinted that this may be coming (some time ago) so I've got my fingers crossed for the next FW.

I believe that is the way that Rockbox approach the issue and it works very well. Even my little Rockboxed Sansa Clip, can handle as many tracks as you throw at it.

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #82 of 82
I believe that is the way that Rockbox approach the issue and it works very well. Even my little Rockboxed Sansa Clip, can handle as many tracks as you throw at it.

Fiio just recently confirmed this in one of the other threads (I think the X3 thread). However they also mentioned it's a long term goal so we need to be patient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back