FiiO X3MKIII || Dual TI PCM5242 || Dual-mode Bluetooth 4.1 || Dual headphone outputs || Balanced Out || 192kHz/32bit
Sep 3, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #376 of 613
Thanks. That's what I've been wanting to hear for a while now lol. Been getting quite a few conflicting reports. I'm sold on the F9s and will buy them as soon as they are back in stock over here. Hopefully I'll get to test out the new X3s with the F9 before taking the plunge.

Mid-September? Awesome. I was looking at the repository of all available firmwares in Fiio's website but the ones for X3 III are absent. I'm guessing they didn't update the player at all yet since it's still pretty new.

Where did you hear that Fiio is planning to release firmware for the Mark III mid-September by the way? I'm looking at the official website but can't find it anywhere. :triportsad:

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #377 of 613
Mid-September? Awesome. I was looking at the repository of all available firmwares in Fiio's website but the ones for X3 III are absent. I'm guessing they didn't update the player at all yet or did I miss something?
The X3III just hit the market, so it might take a bit before FiiO updates the firmware.

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #378 of 613
Now that Apple is exiting the DAP business, the market is coming alive again. Waiting for the X3 Mk III reviews to come in. I like the X3 Mk II a lot but there was always one stupid issue not recognizing characters on playlist. I am between the X3 Mk. III and Sony Walkman NW-A45. It will also be interesting to see who is the first manufacturer to support the new Sandisk 400GB microSD card. This will be an interesting Christmas.

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #379 of 613
Thanks, Robert, I appreciate the quick responses, kind sir. :o2smile:

I now am hearing the X3 III for the first time after transferring my mp3s to the player, and my initial response of its sound quality is very good indeed. I already prefer it over the X3 II I've owned for almost a year now. I agree it does sound smoother compared to the X3, while also retaining a similar amount of detail also. The X3 II meanwhile, sounded more sterile in comparison. Notes on the X3 II seemed sharper and more fatiguing (relatively), while the X3 III is generally warmer and more full bodied. The headphones I'm using are the Amperiors by the way, an upgraded version of Sennheiser's HD25-1 IIs.

The UI is pretty snappy, though it lagged pretty badly when I selected the 'About X3' for some reason. There was also lag when I updated the library for the first time. There was around a 30ish second wait where the progress stayed at zero and would not progress.(I'm using a 64 GB Sandisk Ultra card by the way.) It was my first time updating the library though, so maybe that's the culprit?) It may sound bad at first glance, but it really isn't a deal breaker for me.

Changing from song to song is pretty fast, though keep in mind that my collection is composed solely of mp3s, so I haven't tried other formats. I do notice that it does cut off the initial first seconds of a track as reported, however. General UI usage is snappy, though I'm still struggling a bit to get used to the touch wheel since I'm accustomed to the mechanical wheel on my Fiio X1 and X3 II players.

Overall, the Fiio X3 III is the best Fiio DAP I've heard (though I've only heard the X1 I and X3 II so far) and one of the best sonicially out of all the DAPs I've heard (along side the Hifiman HM-601.) To be honest, I'm pretty satisfied at the moment. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #380 of 613
Mid-September? Awesome. I was looking at the repository of all available firmwares in Fiio's website but the ones for X3 III are absent. I'm guessing they didn't update the player at all yet since it's still pretty new.

Where did you hear that Fiio is planning to release firmware for the Mark III mid-September by the way? I'm looking at the official website but can't find it anywhere. :triportsad:

Thanks!
Yes, the firmware on the device which is version 1.0.3 is the latest. Here is the link to the official Fiio forum where i asked the question on the firmware release and it was replied by a Fiio rep. http://www.fiio.net:8000/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=42638&extra=page=1

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #381 of 613
I've been a Fiio user for years now, so I feel a little embarrassed asking such a question, but how in the heck do you activate its sleep mode without pressing the pause button and waiting it for to idle? Or is the ONLY way to do so?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #382 of 613
I've been a Fiio user for years now, so I feel a little embarrassed asking such a question, but how in the heck do you activate its sleep mode without pressing the pause button and waiting it for to idle? Or is the ONLY way to do so?

System Settings > Sleep

Sep 4, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #383 of 613
Thanks. I'll take a look at these as well. For the price the reviews seem really good. The lack of the USB DAC feature sucks though.

You'd rather wait for the Shanling M3s so. They plan to let it go to the market this month or october...

I think I will return my FiiO X3III and wait for it... X3 is so buggy that this is a lovely little paperweight brick for me at the moment... And lack of functionalities that are running faultlessly on Shanling products made me changing my mind about FiiO and especially their buggy firmwares...

Sep 4, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #384 of 613
You'd rather wait for the Shanling M3s so. They plan to let it go to the market this month or october...

I think I will return my FiiO X3III and wait for it... X3 is so buggy that this is a lovely little paperweight brick for me at the moment... And lack of functionalities that are running faultlessly on Shanling products made me changing my mind about FiiO and especially their buggy firmwares...
Thanks for the heads up. Yeah it does look promising considering the M2s was being suggested a lot as a Fiio X3 iii alternative. Honestly speaking I can tolerate a fair amount of bugs and glitches. I'm just looking for the best bang for buck sound quality wise. The only feature I absolutely need along with excellent SQ is the ability to work as a USB DAC.

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #385 of 613
Thanks for the heads up. Yeah it does look promising considering the M2s was being suggested a lot as a Fiio X3 iii alternative. Honestly speaking I can tolerate a fair amount of bugs and glitches. I'm just looking for the best bang for buck sound quality wise. The only feature I absolutely need along with excellent SQ is the ability to work as a USB DAC.

Fiio bugs is the main reason I am looking at the new DAP from Sony...the new player works as a USB DAC too, price seems to be in the same range as the X3 mk3,.. well $20 more. Instead of looking at no names chinese DAPs, I will rather bet on a company that was once the biggest name in portable audio, looks like they are getting there now that Apple is out. C'mon 45 hours playback time and that beautiful touch screen vs Fiio old fashion IPod like wheel.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/walkman/nw-a40-series

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #386 of 613
Fiio bugs is the main reason I am looking at the new DAP from Sony...the new player works as a USB DAC too, price seems to be in the same range as the X3 mk3,.. well $20 more. Instead of looking at no names chinese DAPs, I will rather bet on a company that was once the biggest name in portable audio, looks like they are getting there now that Apple is out. C'mon 45 hours playback time and that beautiful touch screen vs Fiio old fashion IPod like wheel.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/walkman/nw-a40-series
If they end up sounding better than the X3 iii I'll go for it in a heartbeat, once they launch it here in India that is. Fiio has an excellent record of releasing great DAPs at really good price points so I'm gonna wait for the reviews before I decide. The brand name doesn't really mean much considering all of these DAPs are using components manufactured by other companies anyway.

Sep 4, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #387 of 613
If they end up sounding better than the X3 iii I'll go for it in a heartbeat, once they launch it here in India that is. Fiio has an excellent record of releasing great DAPs at really good price points so I'm gonna wait for the reviews before I decide. The brand name doesn't really mean much considering all of these DAPs are using components manufactured by other companies anyway.

Yes that is why I am going to wait, not that crazy about the X3 mk III, I still use my X3 2nd gen more than my iPod classic because of the sound. But, Fiio is not alone anymore and having lot of issues with bugs (X5 mk III anyone?). Besides that it is really cumbersome to manage playlists on Fiio players, I use Foobar 2000 to create playlists and still have issues with songs that have characters like question marks, single quotes and accents being skipped, but play normally if you select them from the UI.

Sep 4, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #388 of 613
Yes that is why I am going to wait, not that crazy about the X3 mk III, I still use my X3 2nd gen more than my iPod classic because of the sound. But, Fiio is not alone anymore and having lot of issues with bugs (X5 mk III anyone?). Besides that it is really cumbersome to manage playlists on Fiio players, I use Foobar 2000 to create playlists and still have issues with songs that have characters like question marks, single quotes and accents being skipped, but play normally if you select them from the UI.

Do you own or have experience with the X5iii? I ask - simply because I have extensive experience with it, and while its had the odd bug (much as most Android DAPs seem to have), its actually very stable and (IMO) the best DAP in terms of features and SQ on a value basis that FiiO has released.

I agree on the X3iii though - not overly impressed so far. Speed on this thing is a killer (in a bad way)

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #389 of 613
System Settings > Sleep

Yes, I knew about the sleep timer already, hehe. What I was asking was if one can activate the stand by mode (where you can wake the player instantly) without pausing the player and waiting it for to idle or using the sleep timer. I forgot to add the latter and for this, I apologize.

I guess what I'm asking is whether there's a way to engage its stand by mode instantly.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #390 of 613
Ok Folks,

It's time to share with you my little expérience with the X3 Mark III and if you don't like to read a bit, here is my conclusion : don't buy this thing yet because it is not a finished product but a prototype ! Don't be a beta tester and choose another brand...

fDFjwAH.jpg

1st, overall build quality for a 199$ price point device is really good and you will feel having a nice High-End player in the hands.

But this is ending there for the nice part of this informal review. This device is so buggy that it is a pain in the ass to simply use it. You will have almost all the time between 1s to 3s delay with commands response. How can they push to release and market a device like this ? I don't know, but a 15 bucks mp3 player can work surely faster ! I cannot stand that for a 200$ tag, I cannot have a fluid and flawless device ! For me, this is simply unbearable. This is why i was talking about a prototype. And don't tell me that a better SoC is so expensive that it will ruin FiiO to put it inside. No way for me to endure this for years on a product... And if devs cannot optimize this product, I won't have to wait for a hypothetic update, my solution will be to simply return this product and wait for the Shanling M3s !

Now, let's talk about sound... Well, my ears are not well trained like some guys on this forum, but I am a hobbyist musician playing on a Tyros with nice sounds and with M-Audio mid-end monitors... So, I have some basic knowledge of what it may sounds like or near to...
I think that it is a nice player but for me, too round and smooth and I had to make little EQ settings to get a better response with it and more separation for the scene, but I can agree that this is relative to everyone's taste. I noticed a little breath sound in the background with some titles that I couldn't noticed on my computer at 192Khz/24bit.

And now, the part that annoys ! You don't have your full music playing ! Amazing that when a track is skipped or on some transition from one track to another, you're loosing near 0.5s to 1s of your starting track !!! And I am not talking about the blast and sound defects with glitches when you come from a DSD file to a FLAC format or simply when you play from another folder ! You get a big blast in your ears that "pop" so loud that I nearly fell from my chair the 1st time it happens ! Seriously ? We are talking about a Hi-Res device that must be irreproachable with the sound ! And we simply have none at all !!! At this time, no gapless, no filters, no APT-X, no DSD256, no DxD, no correctly working album cover, no good exploitation of hardware, no equalizer working at all sampling rates, and so on... This list is impressive when you look at the competition with other brands. How can they put a buggy firmware from last iteration onto this without correcting it ? Are we monkeys ?

Software part is so laggy (even more when playing a title) that the touch scrolling wheel is not easy to use. Music playback stops when you plug your usb cable. As is out of the box, this device is not usable ! Even my old iRiver iHP140 is more capable to play correctly a title (and gapless) that this "thing" from another world. Responsiveness is mandatory for a nowadays device ! And talking about file copy over USB, this is the same on my iRiver (13y old) near 2.2Mo/s, a shame...

CU3Fw3S.png

In conclusion, I will return this product asap to the shop I bought it from to buy the next Shanling M3s when it will be there... I cannot use it in this conditions... I now understand why there was no test outside FiiO communication for this product...

Excuse me, I'm french, nobody is perfect, so accept my apologies for my awful english ^^
@+

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back