Fiio x3 vs Fiio x5 or other help please?
Sep 16, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #31 of 44
Hi - running the fiio x5 with audeze Lcd-2 headphones - exceptional soundstage with loads of detail and bass sounds perfect over a range of formats from mp3's through to hi rez files @ 24bit/192KHz. No longer have the x3 to compare but when I did found the x5 a solid improvement although the x3 is great at it's price point. Impressed at how the x5 handles bass from bass heavy recodings like Raising Sand - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss (24bit @96KHz).

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #32 of 44

X5: More details and blacker background with more space. Mids and vocals are more in line with the extremes of the spectrum. Depending on your genre of choice, this may be good or bad. There's not a night and day difference from the X3, obviously they're from the same family, although the X5 is noticeably more capable. 

What do you mean by the mids and vocals being more in line with the 'extremes' of the spectrum? I listen to a wide variety of music ranging from classical to heavy metal. Some of my favorite genres are rock including new wave. So, the music I listen to covers all parts of the spectrum I guess lol so is the 'extremity' of the X5 good or bad for these genres?

btw, I am also still a little unsure what people mean by a blacker background as well as the words dark and cold being used to refer to sound?
(I'm pretty new to Hi-Fi 
confused_face_2.gif
)

I use a sansa clip loaded with all FLAC (or AAC if from previous iTunes library - the AAC is either 128kbps or 256 for some files)

-K

Sep 18, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #34 of 44
  http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Thanks, that was quite helpful :) still unsure what you mean by mids and vocals on extremes of the spectrum?

so is it good for the genres of music i listen to?

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #36 of 44
All that I meant was that the mids don't seem to be recessed or in front of the bass or treble. In other words nothing sounds unnatural. I think it would serve you just fine!

Ok thanks! 
redface.gif

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #37 of 44
I have a X3 and was curious about the X5.

So I ordered one, and to be honest the X5 does sound brighter, but will it stand listening to for a long while.
One minute I cannot tell the difference and then I think the X5 sounds better.
The X5 is a better looking player than the X3 even though it is bigger.
I do like the X5 but is it worth £289 compared to the X3 I have that cost £158. If I keep the X5 I will have to get rid of the X3 (ebay) but I don't suppose I will get much for it.
I am listening to the same tracks on both players and swapping over the headphones (I am using a pair of UE900).
I just cannot make my mind up...I suppose if the difference (to me) is minimal there is not point changing.
I will keep comparing for a while.

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #38 of 44
Hi everybody!
This is my first post here, please be gentle :)

I'm considering Fiio X3 or X5. And I would like to know the diffence between them in my situation:
I already have Schiit Vali, so if major difference is between amps in X3 and X5 that would not be noticable?

And I would also use it as streamer in my hi-fi system, perhaps add standalone DAC latter.

As I understand, both play most music files - I would use mostly flac and wav. Both have digital output.
X3 doesn't have a line output, but that shouldn't be problem, I can just use headphone output at some reasonable level?

Am I missing something major here?

Thanks!

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #39 of 44
if your only gonna use it for ur hi-fi system why don`t u get something that is stationary and not portable, or are u willing to use it as portable as well?

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #40 of 44
The X3 does have a line out, as well as co-ax.
How do you propose to stream the music from the play. Both the X3 and X5 are hi-def portable music players.
I had a X3 which I have sold and now got a X5. From my point of view, the X5 sounds clearer and sharper. I spent quite a while with both comparing them before I decided. But, it is more of a personal choice. The X5 is without doubt a better quality player, but the sound to you is what is important.

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #41 of 44
OK, thanks, I used wrong words, at home it would be used as a player of audio files - not a streamer - conected to hi-fi and one day perhaps into a seperate DAC.
I'm not into this whole streaming thing. I'd prefer something much simpler, like a player. Amount of albums I can access at one moment doesn't really matter - I can only listen to one at a time.

And at work it would be used as a player (or a DAC, but I believe only X5 does that) feeding Shiit Vali.

So amp section isn't that important important to me, most of the time some other device would take care of that.

Why don`t I get something that is stationary? First, it would be nice to have someting that I can use both at work and at home, hence portability.
And second - at least X3 seems quite cost effective solution.

The seperate hi-fi devices are more expansive and - and this is important - more complicated: they would invove a NAS or a computer. I'd prefer something small and simple. ATM I'm only listening to LPs and CD so this whole digital audio stuff is completely new to me. Thanks.

If I missed something or I'm completely wrong, please let me know!

Oh, and what would I miss with Fiio X1, digital out probably?
I'm also open to any other suggestions, since I really don't have a clue about these things. Sony NWZ-A15 perhaps?
Or should I just get Audioquest Dragonfly - but not to include computer into hi-fi kindda apeals. But I'm affraid I'm getting off the original topic here.

Thank you for all the answers. Hope you'll put me on the right track.

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #43 of 44
If you are new to the world of digital, X3 should be a good start for the price, I have one with the beta firmware (3.24beta) and use it everywhere and for everything (portable and on my home system) I love it, I didn't had much other experience in player (Had an used cowon x5 but the stick gave). I do have an fiio X5 coming (found a good bargain on a french sell site) for a more home use and keep my fiio x3 for work (I am a landscaper and the X3 has a good build quality and is cheaper than x5). Might add my sharre on the difference between the two later.
My only complain about the the Fiio x3 is the battery life (not the UI, who care it is in your poket anyway !!! and not as bad as they say anyway !!!), I have it coupled with the Fiiio e11 plug to co ax to last me two days compare to 1 (or less depending on headphone/song format).

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #44 of 44
I eventually bought X3 and I love it's SQ.
There are some software issues that don't bother me too much. My impressions are here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/671656/fiio-x3-review/225#post_11102753

Users who are viewing this thread

Back