Fiio X3, iBasso DX50 or AK 100. which to buy?
Nov 2, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #16 of 32
Downside is the storage capacity for Sony. However with WiFi and Android it'll be perfect with Lima. I think I've been advertising Lima too much haha.
Bur Sony house sound is usually a bit coloured. Not sure how it will stand against audiophile level DAPs.

I'm hoping I'll be going to HK next year then I'll be able to do a redwine mod for only $60..

Nov 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #18 of 32
Yup, it takes one day to mod... PM me if you need help finding the place ...

1 day? The guy told me 1-2 hours only..
Did you mod yours? Curious how it sounds compares to the normal stock and the real RWAK..

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #19 of 32
1 day? The guy told me 1-2 hours only..
Did you mod yours? Curious how it sounds compares to the normal stock and the real RWAK..

Sorry i didnt...i just made enquiry as I see quite a number of Ak100 popped up in the 2nd hand market n was looking for 100-s mod (which he declined) bcos i didnt have much faith in the amp section.. I guess it makes sense to offer a faster turnaround time for people who are travelling...
I did own ak100 before and sold it becos of other alternatives starting to become available in the market...

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #20 of 32
I'm gonna invest in a pair of JH Roxanne(s) when they come out, more for listening to music while I stick to my Sony MDR CD900ST for work.  I assume I have to stick with something higher like a AK120 but the one thing I hate is analytical sound but at the same time I love detail.

I wanna enjoy music not use my earphones as stethoscopes so I'm gonna have to wait for the JHs to come in before auditioning the AK120 hopefully the combination will be detailed without being too cold sounding like I had with a Sony EX1000/iBasso DX100 combo.

But In the end I need to invest in a lower cost DAP for general use for music playback over a PA system that's micro SD compatible so I can swap out my music collection and add/replace tracks at will.  Right now I only have an iPod classic with about max capacity for my own music and an external hard drive with about 500GB of music for background music and audio cues which I use a MacBook pro to playback from.

It'll be great to sometimes just bring a DAP with all the SD cards and, if I need to compile a playlist or add music, I can do it with any available laptop instead of lugging around my Mac and a ton of other things with me.

Since I need reasonably good SQ, Fiio X3 (or X5 if it's out around Xmas) I figure.  I don't trust iBasso's horrifying and buggy UI on the DX100 (although I haven't had time to check out any off the DAPs recently). I had problems navigating and reading my SD cards especially after start up on the DX100. I'm not an Android user but I've been told that the OS was painfully old and it certainly sucked.

The one thing that I'm suspicious off is that in Singapore, lots of people have bought or pre-ordered X3, and within a week you see them selling it off online.  Even those people who have bought one recently from the local stores that allow auditioning are selling it off. For the pre-orders, I can understand as some claim that they were trying it out and some claim that it's not to their taste....but still the sheer numbers in just one community is a bit dodgy.

I must admit though, that (un-named) community are full of wannabes and posers so I wouldn't trust their judgement at all, not on anything they talk about, Computers, Cameras, Hifi and generally all tech stuff........

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #21 of 32
I currently own an ak100 that I am trying to sell/trade.
I an looking for something so I don't 'have to' use an external amp when powering my alpha dogs on the train.
Hence I was looking at the dx100.
I know these phone need an external amp to run anywhere near their best, however in today's market what would you guys suggest.

Then of course there is the incoming x5

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #22 of 32
Great comparison, thanks!

I decided I'll be buying an X3 for myself at the end of next week, to run with XBA-40s that I shall be purchasing too and the new Carbon Nanotube JVC HA-S680 that I've already bought.

Trance and EDM in general will sound awesome. :D

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #25 of 32
Having heard them all this would be my ranking by sound:
Ak100 > DX50 > X3

Not that much difference from AK100 to DX50, and the DX50 plays better with a  wide variety of earphones. Given the price difference, I would chose the DX50.

But if you were to include the modified AK100, the RWAK 100, that player would win hands down.

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #26 of 32
Not to mention the AK100mk2 wins hands down too

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #28 of 32
No mention of the HiFiMan HM-601 or HM601LE?
tongue_smile.gif
 Why?

Jun 14, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #29 of 32
I own the sennheiser mometums and was recently gifted the HD 650.I broke my phone which I was using with the fiio e18 and momentum so I wanna get the ibasso dx90 or the fiio x5.But I've heard that the ibasso dx100 is an extremely good player in terms of sound quality and that the only player(portable) better than that is the ak240(wayyyy out off my budget).And why is the dx100 not discussed much here at head fi?I plan to listen to the hd 650 unamped so is dx100 a good choice or will the x5 or dx90 suffice???

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #30 of 32
I own the sennheiser mometums and was recently gifted the HD 650.I broke my phone which I was using with the fiio e18 and momentum so I wanna get the ibasso dx90 or the fiio x5.But I've heard that the ibasso dx100 is an extremely good player in terms of sound quality and that the only player(portable) better than that is the ak240(wayyyy out off my budget).And why is the dx100 not discussed much here at head fi?I plan to listen to the hd 650 unamped so is dx100 a good choice or will the x5 or dx90 suffice???

:confused_face(1):
What part of any of your post is about the x3, d50 or ak100?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back