FIIO x3 + HD 650 ? Sound quality vs portability ?
Oct 4, 2013 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bhupalartha

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-fiers,

I see, I am one of the many enthusiasts here for help And this is my first post on Head FI. :)

Here I go with my queries,

I am looking to buy a HD650, though they are open and leak sound ,considering my big ears.

Over all I can bargain a little bit of Sound quality for portability, which is why i would like to go for close circum aural headphones.

I am looking forward to X3 + HD 650 considering the in built amplifier in X3.

will the FIIO x3 alone be able to drive the 650s, considering the huge impedance?

Also any other suggestions around really portable Headphone(circumaural, preferrably closed)+ Player+ Amp are most welcome. My budget is around 600-700$.

Many thanks in advance !!

Regards,
Artha

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 14
Maybe Shure SRH 840 or SRH 940.

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 14
Heya,

What kind of portability are you looking for? Simply off the computer? Or are you talking about portable like in public portable, out on the street, or in a room with others (coffee shop / library)? What does portability mean to you so we can guide you better?

What kind of sound are you looking for? What draws you to the HD650? Give us qualities you're looking for.

Very best,

Oct 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 14
@purpleAngel : Thank you for the suggestions from Shure. i Will definitely look into them.

@MalVeaux : Thank you very much for your time and interest. Below are few things that I considered while looking into HD650 and FIIO X3

HD650 : 

1) Decent bass signature and sound stage.
  2) Big enough for my ears, which I was only able to find in HD500+ series.
  3) Previous user of of sennheiser head sets.

dislikes :

1) sound leakage. 

FIIO X3 :

1) In built amplifier and DAP. which would reduce any additional wires and items to carry :).

By portability i mean to be able to use the setup as much as possible any where without disturbing others like travelling, office etc and with less devices/items/wires to carry around.

Hope I was clear enough. eagerly waiting for your response.

Regards,
Artha

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 14
Heya,

Based on your description of your needs, an open air headphone is not appropriate. You'll need to go closed back.

That said, I would look into:

Mr Speakers Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads
AudioTechnica A2000X
AKG K550
AKG K267
Denon D600 or D7100
Beyer T70P
Beyer T5P
Ultrasone Signature PRO

Very best,

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 14
  Heya,

Based on your description of your needs, an open air headphone is not appropriate. You'll need to go closed back.

AudioTechnica A2000X
AKG K550
AKG K267
Denon D600 or D7100
Beyer T70P
Beyer T5P
Ultrasone Signature PRO

Very best,

+1

The open design of the 650s wouldn't work well if you're taking them out into public. Not only will the weird looks people give you become old, but the lack of isolation would probably take away from your enjoyment of the music. 

The Shures are certainly an option, as are the Denon D2000 (if you can find one), or the AKG 550, as stated above.

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 14
Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. I am going through all the suggestions..!! really liked knowing all these options!!

one query that was on my mind while going through the listed headphones was 

"how many of them will require an amplifier or can be alone alone on DAPs like x3?"

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 14
  Also for my big ears, nearly 60 mm in height, Which one of the above suggestions will not cause any fatigue?

Well mate, if you think 60mm is big you should really adjust your standarts. That is 70mm man talking to you. I had to change my ath-m50 earpads to one's from brainwavz hm5 to be able to call it a mildly comfortable experience. Still would prefer even a bit more space.

P.S. to be on topic, i'd recommend some modded Fostex t50rp. There are a lot of great options like mayflowerelectronics Fostex T50RP, ZMF modded T50RP. They should sound decent from fiio x3.

Oct 25, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #13 of 14
I have a question.

I hve the dx90 and now i just ordered the hd 650 and a little dot mk iii tube amp

I would like to use the dx 90 as a source for the dac. Is it a good idea combining all the above ? Will it sound as good as other desktop setups for eg if i was using a dedicated desktop dac like a schiit bifrost.

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #14 of 14
  Heya,

AudioTechnica A2000X
AKG K550
AKG K267
Denon D600 or D7100
Beyer T70P
Beyer T5P
Ultrasone Signature PRO

Very best,

I agree, the Mad Dog with Alpha Pads may be a winner for you,  additionally you can find the Denon AHD D2000 for around $300 used here on head fi, there's really quiete a plethera of them for sale
I have a question.

I hve the dx90 and now i just ordered the hd 650 and a little dot mk iii tube amp

I would like to use the dx 90 as a source for the dac. Is it a good idea combining all the above ? Will it sound as good as other desktop setups for eg if i was using a dedicated desktop dac like a schiit bifrost.

I think so, granted a Desktop Dac will more than likely have a touch more clarity but it will also require that you source all of your music from your computer, if your computer is older it may be  problematic with the Dac, though when I say older I'm talking 10+ years or so 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back