FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
Oct 5, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #361 of 3,121

It sounds like a problem they could fix with a firmware update but maybe it isn't that simple. I pretty much exclusively listen to albums in order even while exercising so I guess it wouldn't be a good choice for me. Thanks for the information though.
regular_smile%20.gif

well, as I said, as long as your files are organised to include the track number at the beginning of the file name, then you wont have any issues. 

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #362 of 3,121
  well, as I said, as long as your files are organised to include the track number at the beginning of the file name, then you wont have any issues. 

Oh maybe I misunderstood...my files are organized that way...either 01, 02, 03 etc. or 1-01, 1-02, 1-03. The same way they are organized in the computer folder. maybe it would be a good choice then. The price is certainly good. I might just pick one up. Thanks
beerchug.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #363 of 3,121
Do the Fiio players allow you to do shuffle by album similar to the old iPods where it will play an album in track sequence and when the last track is complete it will randomly select another album in your library?  The current apple music player in the iPhones and iPads no longer supports this feature, but there are times when I will do all my listening on my Classic in shuffle by album mode.  I may be retiring my Classic soon and have been considering a Fiio for replacement.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #364 of 3,121
Do the Fiio players allow you to do shuffle by album similar to the old iPods where it will play an album in track sequence and when the last track is complete it will randomly select another album in your library?  The current apple music player in the iPhones and iPads no longer supports this feature, but there are times when I will do all my listening on my Classic in shuffle by album mode.  I may be retiring my Classic soon and have been considering a Fiio for replacement.
no.

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #370 of 3,121
Really quick feedback / impressions (this is what I sent Theo earlier via PM):

1. Shape - brilliant, love the curves, feels really nice in the hand - no complaints there so far
  2. Face - pretty good, shows finger prints, but didn't expect it not to
  3. Screen - hard to compare with X1 when themes are different.  Actual backlight is colder (more blue) X1 is warmer. Personally I find the screen easier to read (better contrast) especially at lower backlight levels. But original X1 screen looks more natural. Ability to change text size in new X1ii is hugely helpful.
  4. Re-location of micro sdxc seems like a good idea.  No so sure about the jack.  Better if you are holding in your hand, but if used with their new dock, means you can't plug headphone at same time.  Probably would have made more sense leaving it on top.
  5. Buttons - good.  they work.  No issues so far.
  6. Wheel - 100 times better. Took a while to get used to it, but now seems pretty natural.  Not always the most accurate - but good enough, and at least shouldn't wear out like original X1 (mine is very flakey now).
  7. Bluetooth - not great. Works OK in car, but sometimes difficult to connect.  Weak signal when compared to iPhone 5S. With Axgio Sprint (IEMs) cuts out within 2 feet (poor signal). With Headphone Divine, get probably about 5 metres, but not stable like the iPhone.  Tends to glitch every now and again.  TBH its one area they need to improve.
  8. UI - slow, laggy. Delays between button press and action happening. Folder playthrough works, gapless doesn't.
  9. Sound - I don't hear a lot of difference to original X1 yet.  I've seen the report of less bass.  I need to get it properly set up on a switcher and volume matched - then I should have more idea.

I'd still take it over original X1 - but that is because of some of the additional features (eg large text, in-line controls including volume working perfectly), but as long as we know the UI speed is going to be fixed.

Other
EQ works fine
Externally created playlists still work
DAC is very linear - not quite as "warm" sounding as original X1
Engaging gapless makes a slow UI even slower.
Tried the car USB setting - might be too many tracks on my X1 - I have about 6500 aac256 files, but perpetually sat in the reading files screen.  Will have to try a lot less.

Updating library is glacially slow - I didn't time it, but it would be 2-3 times that of the original X1

Best Features
Option for large text
In-line controls (device dependent) work perfectly.  This includes volume controls on a Trinity cable and also the default "Apple" controls on my HD630VB.

Overall
Still think it will end up being an improvement (my original X1 is practically unusable now due to scroll wheel issues). Biggest issue is speed and lag.

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #372 of 3,121
  Do you think the major issues like the laggy UI, problem with gapless and poor bluetooth connectivity can be fixed with firmware updates?

That would be more a question for FiiO.  Gapless shouldn't be an issue as long as they implement it properly.  Current idea of fade in / fade out is not a solution.  Bluetooth could be hardware - leave for FiiO to comment. Laggy UI - I'd imagine that should be fixable with optimising firmware.

Will be interested to see anyone else's comments (if they have an early version).  One thing for sure - I wouldn't want to review this just yet - not until they get a couple of the bugs fixed.  When they do though - it's going to be a nice unit for $100.

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #373 of 3,121

That would be more a question for FiiO.  Gapless shouldn't be an issue as long as they implement it properly.  Current idea of fade in / fade out is not a solution.  Bluetooth could be hardware - leave for FiiO to comment. Laggy UI - I'd imagine that should be fixable with optimising firmware.

Will be interested to see anyone else's comments (if they have an early version).  One thing for sure - I wouldn't want to review this just yet - not until they get a couple of the bugs fixed.  When they do though - it's going to be a nice unit for $100.

Yes it looks like it will be nice. I preordered one but now I'm wondering if maybe I should cancel that preorder for now...thanks for your help.

Oct 6, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #374 of 3,121

Yes it looks like it will be nice. I preordered one but now I'm wondering if maybe I should cancel that preorder for now...thanks for your help.

I'm glad I held off.  I almost did it when those Amazon links were posted.  These initial impressions don't sound very good.  Granted, these problems will most likely be addressed by FiiO, but I prefer not being the test subject.  With the lag issues reported, makes me wonder if the CPU in the X1II can handle all these new features and functionality.  Hopefully, FiiO is working on it because like Brooko said, reviews won't be good as the unit is currently. 

Oct 6, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #375 of 3,121
  I'm glad I held off.  I almost did it when those Amazon links were posted.  These initial impressions don't sound very good.  Granted, these problems will most likely be addressed by FiiO, but I prefer not being the test subject.  With the lag issues reported, makes me wonder if the CPU in the X1II can handle all these new features and functionality.  Hopefully, FiiO is working on it because like Brooko said, reviews won't be good as the unit is currently. 

Fiio have already released a firmware update. So I can assure you that they're on the case and want to iron out bugs ASAP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back