FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
Oct 8, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #436 of 3,121

I'm not worried about the software, there are bound to be some problems with a newly released product which will be fixed with time. When you mention the part about bluetooth (see bolded section in quote) is he referring to the process of pairing a wireless bluetooth headset after disconnecting a  wired headset (vice-versa)? Since I mentioned the bluetooth feature, I'd be interested in knowing how well the 2nd Gen X1 starts on and off in the car.

Also, does anyone know if the new X1 has the ability to search through a library of songs like its original did in the last firmware update (2.0)?

Yes, he means "the process of pairing a wireless bluetooth headset after disconnecting a wired headset". But the other way is ok, connecting your wireless headphones via cable because the battery is dead. The problem, according to him, is when you start using the wire/cable and then you switch to bluetooth and take the cable off.

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #437 of 3,121
  I don't know, the guy says "it's a beta unit, it's not 100% finished, it still have to be polished". That's all I know. Seeing the unboxing it looks like a pretty"finished" product to me. Now does he thinks it's a beta unit, was he told to say it's a beta unit, is it really a beta unit? I don't know.
Maybe he say it's a beta unit because the firmware on his product is 1.1 and he was told that they were working on the 1.2 firmware. (the video was published on Oct. 1st).

Yeah it's a little vague. Personally I think he said it's beta because the software didn't feel complete. On v1.0 there were some things that didn't work 

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #438 of 3,121
Right guys, I've finished my review on the new X1. I'm just waiting for the shop that let me review it to post the review on their site, and then I can post it here. 

In the meantime, here's a little excerpt from my review:

As mentioned, if you’re coming from the old X1, the new version is definitely an improvement in almost every respect. The only area which I’m a bit unsure of is with regards to the screen. The over-sharpening isn’t exactly pleasant to look at. But again I come back to the point I made earlier; this isn’t a smartphone, you’re not going to be staring at the screen for extended periods of time. So perhaps the screen isn’t a major issue after all.

However, if you’re the type of person who is on a rather tight budget and venturing into the high resolution portable audio device territory, or upgrading from something like Fiio’s M3, you’ll be delighted with the device. It really is quite interesting and packs in a lot of useful features. Honestly, for the price, I can’t think of a more complete, better sounding device.

Just like the original X1, the new X1 doesn’t have a notably wide sound stage (not that it’s narrow by any means), nor does it reproduce the absolute finest of details with crystal clear clarity, and the lows do bleed a little bit into the mids. But to be perfectly honest, since installing the new firmware, I don’t enjoy listening to the new X1 any bit less than my E18+E12A setup. But isn’t that precisely the point of all this? There are numerous tech specs that we could end up chasing; forever looking for that tiny bit less distortion, that little extra stereo imaging, a bit more dynamic range…the list goes on and on. But in the end, all that truly matters is how much the device makes us enjoy the music. There comes a point where all these tiny little difference simply don’t matter anymore. It’s kind of like trying to compare 2 cars of near identical weight and drivetrain, one with 500hp and the other with 520hp. That extra little bit just isn’t going to make a great deal of difference (if any).

The other thing you should consider is how often, and where, you would use the device. If you don’t plan on using it very often (perhaps only once or twice a week) then I genuinely don’t think you’ll need anything more than what the new X1 offers. Heck, even if you plan on using it for a few hours on a daily basis (as I have), the new X1 is still a fantastic device. But perhaps more importantly is your listening environment. Unless you’re listening in an extremely quiet environment, using a player which can reproduce the finest of details (notably louder than what the new X1 can) it simply won’t be of any benefit to you.

Oct 8, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #441 of 3,121
I liked the review, its pretty detailed and provides me with some more insight into the product. I'm glad you included a close up image of the touch wheel as it was hard, from looking at the videos, to see it. I did have a few questions though:

1. Is it possible to apply the full front screen protector with the applied screen protector still on it?

2. How do you determine whether or not your Bluetooth earbuds are apt-x protocol supported? I own the Jam Transit Wireless Earbuds and so far haven't been able to find anything that specifies the Bluetooth protocol for it.

Oct 8, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #442 of 3,121
  I liked the review, its pretty detailed and provides me with some more insight into the product. I'm glad you included a close up image of the touch wheel as it was hard, from looking at the videos, to see it. I did have a few questions though:

1. Is it possible to apply the full front screen protector with the applied screen protector still on it?

2. How do you determine whether or not your Bluetooth earbuds are apt-x protocol supported? I own the Jam Transit Wireless Earbuds and so far haven't been able to find anything that specifies the Bluetooth protocol for it.

1. I suppose you could, as it's not a stiff glass protector....but I think where the larger protector makes contact with the already applied protector, after some time it will lift up. Also, the protectors to create some VERY SLIGHT distortions to the screen (like little holographic chromatic aberrations)..so I can't imagine having 2 protectors on would look great.

2. I had a quick look at that product, it doesn't seem to have Apt-X

Oct 8, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #443 of 3,121

yup, that's my review :)

the screen looks awful, both in terms of having lower image fidelity and lower contrast (which means even harder to see outside!).  Coupled with the inaccurate scroll wheel, I don't see how this could possibly be better than the old X1.  It does look prettier though, so I guess if you care more about the looks of the DAP vs functionality, you'd be inclined to get this one.

Oct 8, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #445 of 3,121

the screen looks awful, both in terms of having lower image fidelity and lower contrast (which means even harder to see outside!).  Coupled with the inaccurate scroll wheel, I don't see how this could possibly be better than the old X1.  It does look prettier though, so I guess if you care more about the looks of the DAP vs functionality, you'd be inclined to get this one.

Honestly, the touch scroll is no less accurate than the original X1's mechanical wheel. Neither is "perfect".

As far as the screen is concerned..yeah I really don't know what Fiio was thinking there. I wouldn't say the new 1 has less contrast, in fact, I think it has more contrast. But the old X1 does just look more natural, albeit quite washed out

Oct 8, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #448 of 3,121
  Honestly, the touch scroll is no less accurate than the original X1's mechanical wheel. Neither is "perfect".

As far as the screen is concerned..yeah I really don't know what Fiio was thinking there. I wouldn't say the new 1 has less contrast, in fact, I think it has more contrast. But the old X1 does just look more natural, albeit quite washed out

Hmm, from what I played with the old X1 on recent firmware after the fixed the sensitivity issue, the scrollwheel didn't seem at all inaccurate to me.

As for the screen, I got that impression when you mentioned in the review that the old X1 had a "
much larger contrast ratio (perhaps too much contrast)."  From the picture right after that, while the new X1 does seem more natural and less washed out, it appears considerably darker/worse for outside.

IMO, the biggest improvement of the new X1 over the old X1 that I haven't seen mentioned much is the deep sleep/standby mode that I'm guessing is similar or the same to the one in X3ii.

Oct 8, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #449 of 3,121
  Hmm, from what I played with the old X1 on recent firmware after the fixed the sensitivity issue, the scrollwheel didn't seem at all inaccurate to me.

As for the screen, I got that impression when you mentioned in the review that the old X1 had a "
much larger contrast ratio (perhaps too much contrast)."  From the picture right after that, while the new X1 does seem more natural and less washed out, it appears considerably darker/worse for outside.

IMO, the biggest improvement of the new X1 over the old X1 that I haven't seen mentioned much is the deep sleep/standby mode that I'm guessing is similar or the same to the one in X3ii.

1. Yeah i don't know...it's really not terrible. But I just don't have absolute confidence in it. I don't feel like i can just move my thumb and the selection i want will magically appear. I feel like I actually have to think about what I want to select, you know?

2. Yeah sorry, that should be phrased better. But what I meant is that the new X1 has a larger contrast ratio

3. You're right, I did forget to write about that. But in the Rating section I did put that in as a plus for the device

Oct 8, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #450 of 3,121
  yup, that's my review :)

I hope the screen is not as bad as it looks in that picture (sometimes pictures make it worse). This is a really big disappointment for me.

With the touch wheel i think there will be some software updates which will make it better, i think (hope) this will be a step into the right direction because i did not like the old wheel very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back