FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
May 19, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #2,671 of 3,121
Dear friend,

Sorry to hear about that and thank you for the kind feedback. The issue may happen sometimes, right? You play the song via category or browse files?

Thank you in advance!

Best regards

Thank you for the quick reply regarding my question! And yes, you are correct that the issue doesn't happen often. I was even trying to replicate the situation a moment ago but I wasn't able to do so. So it is an intermitent "bug". I play songs via browse, album, and artists category.

May 19, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #2,672 of 3,121
Thank you for the quick reply regarding my question! And yes, you are correct that the issue doesn't happen often. I was even trying to replicate the situation a moment ago but I wasn't able to do so. So it is an intermitent "bug". I play songs via browse, album, and artists category.
I have a similar problem. Everytime I listen to the songs of a single artist or of a single album, I can´t switch back to the categorie . When I try to skip back, the monitor turns black and no further action is possible. To start the X1 again I have to longpress the on/off button.
I have reported this issue before and they told me to reset my device, but this isn´t a solution for this bug.
I hope Fiio can solve this problem in the next firmwareupdate. Until then, I can only use the random play of all songs, but that´s not what I bought this player for.

May 19, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #2,673 of 3,121
I have a similar problem. Everytime I listen to the songs of a single artist or of a single album, I can´t switch back to the categorie . When I try to skip back, the monitor turns black and no further action is possible. To start the X1 again I have to longpress the on/off button.
I have reported this issue before and they told me to reset my device, but this isn´t a solution for this bug.
I hope Fiio can solve this problem in the next firmwareupdate. Until then, I can only use the random play of all songs, but that´s not what I bought this player for.

Good day to you buddy! Im sorry to know that you are quite on the same boat as I am. But somehow your situation is more problematic than mine since I dont often encounter the " lockout" problem in my X1II. Since upgrading to FW 1.6 maybe a month ago, the problem surfaced only about 5-6 times.

Now on to your problem, did you experience this on other prior firmware or just on a specific FW? If the problem appears on multiple FW then I suggest you take your unit to your reseller for warranty because it might be a hardware problem. But if the problem is FW-specific, like mine, then I guess we can just hope that FiiO can address it on the next firmware update! Cheers!

May 20, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #2,675 of 3,121
Good day to you buddy! Im sorry to know that you are quite on the same boat as I am. But somehow your situation is more problematic than mine since I dont often encounter the " lockout" problem in my X1II. Since upgrading to FW 1.6 maybe a month ago, the problem surfaced only about 5-6 times.

Now on to your problem, did you experience this on other prior firmware or just on a specific FW? If the problem appears on multiple FW then I suggest you take your unit to your reseller for warranty because it might be a hardware problem. But if the problem is FW-specific, like mine, then I guess we can just hope that FiiO can address it on the next firmware update! Cheers!
Thank you for your answer.
I can say that I have had that problem with the older 1.5.6 FW too. Because of that I´m hoping on the next firmware update, same like you. I am sure Fiio will fix the problem and all in all I´m very happy and satisfied with my device.

May 20, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #2,676 of 3,121
Dear friend,

Sorry to hear about that and thank you for the kind feedback. The issue may happen sometimes, right? You play the song via category or browse files?

Thank you in advance!

Best regards

I received my X1ii yesterday and charged it overnight. I have formatted a card and put 5.000 songs on it and as the device is on FW 1.0 I am trying to upgrade that to 1.2 and so on.

No luck. It says no firmware detected. I have reformatted the card and reset the device to original state. The card is now (again) being read by the X1ii and when it is finished I will turn it off and try to get it to see the update to 1.2.

I am not upset. Yet. :ksc75smile: I had heard that once the FW is totally updated the X1ii should work as it was advertised. I am going to keep trying to get it to recognize 1.2 and if it does, then move on to the next update until I reach...Total Consciousness. Which is nice...

May 20, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #2,677 of 3,121
I received my X1ii yesterday and charged it overnight. I have formatted a card and put 5.000 songs on it and as the device is on FW 1.0 I am trying to upgrade that to 1.2 and so on.

No luck. It says no firmware detected. I have reformatted the card and reset the device to original state. The card is now (again) being read by the X1ii and when it is finished I will turn it off and try to get it to see the update to 1.2.

I am not upset. Yet. :ksc75smile: I had heard that once the FW is totally updated the X1ii should work as it was advertised. I am going to keep trying to get it to recognize 1.2 and if it does, then move on to the next update until I reach...Total Consciousness. Which is nice...

Firmware 1.2? That's the wrong firmware file you've downloaded. It should be v.1.6.0. From here: http://x1pack.fiio.net/1.6.0/X1II.fw

May 20, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #2,679 of 3,121
So I am to skip from 1.0 to 1.6? If so, that is fine with me. I thought you had to progress through all of them, from first to latest.
Still waiting for the library to finish updating.

Just cancel the library update now (hit any key). I've never progressed versions of firmware on anything...just update to the 1.6.0, do a full reset to the X1-II, then update your library. The reset is important as it seems to prevent weird lockups from happening.

May 20, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #2,683 of 3,121
I do not see any "root directory", just music .

What fun! The original X1 was a bit easier...Dammit!

"Root" is the highest directory on any device. In the case of the card, it's where you arrive when you first double-click on the card in explorer. You should make a directory called something like "Music" and put your actual media files into it, not the root.

Format your card, then put just the .fw file above on the card. Do the update, then reset. Then, format your card again, create a directory called "Music" and drag your files to it. Finally, insert the card and do the library update.

This is pretty much standard procedure on any flash media device. Actually, there are limits to what a root directory can handle on a lot of file systems, so you should never drop a ton of files into the root.

The structure I use is:
ROOT -> Music -> Lossless -> Artist -> Year. Album -> Track#. Title - Artist.extension
ROOT -> Music -> HDA -> Artist -> Year. Album -> Track#. Title - Artist.extension
ROOT -> Music -> DSD -> Artist -> Year. Album -> Track#. Title - Artist.extension
ROOT -> Music -> HDAFromDSD -> Artist -> Year. Album -> Track#. Title - Artist.extension
ROOT -> Music -> Lossy -> Artist -> Year. Album -> Track#. Title - Artist.extension
ROOT -> Playlists -> Playlistname.m3u8

Even on imaging cards, the images are saved in a directory called "DCIM" since early FAT/FAT32 cards had a limit to the root.

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #2,684 of 3,121
Well...whadday knows? It is updating FW to 1.6. I thought you should proceed in a linear fashion. Now all I have to do is get some songs in it. I will see if I can just drag drop as I did my original X1.

Thanks for the tip!

May 20, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #2,685 of 3,121
Well...whadday knows? It is updating FW to 1.6. I thought you should proceed in a linear fashion. Now all I have to do is get some songs in it. I will see if I can just drag drop as I did my original X1.

Thanks for the tip!

Don't forget to do the "Factory Restore" after the firmware update completes. Sometimes, firmware changes also alter the data storage structures in newer versions. Those differences can cause weird lockup amongst other things. Restoring to fresh allows the firmware to set up the structures as the current version wants, not trying to re-use old data.

It's common place when doing BIOS updates to do a CMOS dump afterwards, just to prevent weird problems from happening. I've seen many a Dell where the box acts weird with new firmware and clearing the CMOS fixes the issue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back