[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Feb 25, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #1,952 of 2,559
too late. no any downsizing. keep v1.5 and wait 1.6 update!
The 1.6 update will come after a century!
(and it will have bugs, too...)

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #1,953 of 2,559
Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #1,956 of 2,559
i like the utws3 2pin ver (i got it used at a very cheap price - just us$40!) so much that i just bought a utws5 mmcx ver this weekend while there's a 10% discount offer :relaxed:

but sadly the case depth (mostly constraint by the lack of space in the upper lid) I can't fit in either z1r or justear or even fw10000!!! only the fourth mmcx iems i put on, the final x DITA Shichiku.Kangen, could fit in. i struggled for over 10mins and couldn't figure out why i couldn't pair with my phone or why the dongles didnt charge. I managed to pair with my phone by pressing the dongle buttons and successfully added to the fiio control app too (something utws3 still refused to do). a prompt to upgrade to firmware v1.5 comes right away and i got upgraded in a few mins with hassle. i need to dial the vol up to 100 on my phone and 25/32 in the fiio control app to get my normal listening level (which used to be quite low around 7xdB).

no hiss or any audible noise at all - same for uwts3. the connection range is very strong and better my btr7 or ifi go blu or topping G5. definitely on par with the best TWS like sony xm4 or wireless overhead like 5909 on connection range. it's also much more pleasing to have just one single entry in the bluetooth connection list of my phone rather than L and R (for UWTS3).

just after i puzzled over 10 more mins why it didn't turn itself off after putting it back into the case, i found our that there're blue insulation sticker on the dongles!!! i know it's common sense and it's my fault too not to check, but most big brands offer a reminder and even the sticker comes with removal warning tabs so it'll be foolproof. fiio could make the life of customers much easier just by doing this kind of small and no cost improvements. but most of all, FiiO please allow more room in the upper lid so it could be usable for more iems, not just the slimmer ones, for the upcoming uwts15.

Attachments

• 20230227_223513.jpg
    20230227_223513.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230227_224751.jpg
    20230227_224751.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230227_200021.jpg
    20230227_200021.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #1,957 of 2,559
Hi Everyone - thought i'd post this to clear up the filters in the app (since the words they use make no sense at least to me)

1677529028507.png

I personally like the minimum phase setting. Sounds more natural.
Using this i created a convolver for my specific earphones.
When I'm free i'll use wired on my headphone, subtract the difference, and essentially get the convolver for the UTWS5. Could be helpful.

Feb 27, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #1,958 of 2,559
To everyone that's losing their EQ all of the time: charge your case without your UTWS 5 in them. I've noticed that everytime I leave my case to charge, the EQ settings will be gone. But this only happens when the case is charging with the earhooks inside. If you charge the case standalone, EQ should stick.
I've just grown the habit of charging them during lunch break while I'm using them, and the unplug the case before putting the earhooks back in.
This EQ wipe also isn't instant, I've made the mistake of charging how I was used to before and let it sit like that a couple of seconds, but the EQ was still there.
I personally dont use the EQ for 3 reasons.
1. buggy. somehow there is a memory effect, which will corrupt over time for some reason. I suspect the EQ forces the in-built amp to stick to 44100, and when u play a 48000 source, it sounds like crap. And we all know FiiO's response rate when it comes to fixing stuff

2. consumes battery. There is a 1 - 2 hour reduction in battery because the in-built DSP is working hard to give it to you. I personally have relieved the DSP of duty and offloaded all sound processing to the host. Check developer options in android and you will see a disable hardware offload function

3. The EQ honestly......... meh.
third party stuff much better. Just apply same parametric settings to all your systemwide devices. The DSP is better as well, because the host processor is usually much more powerful, and some apps give you 32bit integer processing. Neutron gives 64bit.

My UTWS5 just died. And they issued a replacement instead of a refund.

Something to note - do not charge your case with the earphones inside. The case somehow has limited protective circuitry inside. Also remember to give the connectors a quick wipe to remove body oil (which increases resistance and ultimately forces the charger to work harder, reducing both the lifespan of the case battery and the TWS battery due to overheating. Increased resistance equals increased heat. Increased heat equals thermal runaway. Bad thing to have in Li-Po cells.
SOP is: use the earphones - 2 charge cycles. On the third use, when you're wearing the earphones, charge the case.
This SOP has served me well for my other TWS products, and my FiiL T1 Lite (excellent cheap buds btw) have lasted for 2.5 years and counting with no discernable drop in battery life.

FiiO - please enhance protective circuitry in your case. There is evidence that this defect is systemic.
If it were me, i would program a red pulsating light on the case when the earphone is detected in the case while closed but still turned on. this is very, very bad for both batteries.
Oh and by the way, if the case battery is empty, and the earpieces are inside, guess what. The earpiece will charge the case. This is evidence of lack of protective circuitry.

1677530414063.png
1677530655254.png
1677530440369.png
1677530689451.png

These 4 hardware failures were searched using google, appeared in the first page, and found in one minute.
If i deep dive, i am sure i can find more.

I write this not to deter buyers. This is a fine product.
But for god's sake please work out the bugs for the UTWS15.
if not...... there are many qcc5171 necklaces on aliexpress waiting to eat into your market share.
and also, say hi to your newest competitor, pulsesound audio, based in USA
1677531224596.png

Qualcomm 5171 LE Audio, and it has LDAC.

https://www.plussoundaudio.com/customcables/v3.html?store-page=Module-Upgrade-Service-p250981553

Please step up your game. Else, say byebye to your market share. KZ is already closing the gap with an impressive $28 offering on their QCC3040 TWS hook, which i tried and, honestly, cant tell the difference between an A-B test.

For your kind consideration.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #1,959 of 2,559
This is a fine product.
Nope. This is a fine conception. The implementation, development and support suck. So, this is not a fine product. We buy it because nothing else exists. I fail to perceive why. One time I asked Qudelix and they murmured something about the battery, which did not make sense to me.

Mar 2, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #1,961 of 2,559
no need any downsize to V1.4 from V1.5. All works,all my EQ settings is keeping. not cleaned. all works. was mistake or firmware finished work.. when connected second once eq goes to factory settings,but today when im connected third time to fiio app and all my eq settings stay as should be. Good job FiiO!Bravo!

Mar 2, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #1,962 of 2,559
no need any downsize to V1.4 from V1.5. All works,all my EQ settings is keeping. not cleaned. all works. was mistake or firmware finished work.. when connected second once eq goes to factory settings,but today when im connected third time to fiio app and all my eq settings stay as should be. Good job FiiO!Bravo!

Issues we faced right after the upgrade to v1.5 can probably be related to some junk leftover from previous firmware in the memory and after some time it been cleaned/overwritten.
I have no any issue for the last 3 days or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back