[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Sep 26, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #1,636 of 2,559
How is the microphone quality especially in noisy medium ?
I'm using for calls wf-1000xm3 and the mic quality is very bad in noisy environment.

Sep 28, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #1,638 of 2,559
I bought fiio fh5 to use with utws5. FH5 both sides with cable works. However, right side FH5 doesn't work with either sides of utws5. Left side FH5 works with both sides of UTWS5.

It is the right side that is too loose and I have no idea how to rectify it. Please advise thank you

Sep 28, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #1,639 of 2,559
Use the Fiio app to verify that right earhook is connected, if it is not try to reset. Place both earhooks in the case, make sure they are both charging and push the center button for 12 seconds.
I must say it: the audio quality is good but the product quality is a PITA.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #1,642 of 2,559
Use the Fiio app to verify that right earhook is connected, if it is not try to reset. Place both earhooks in the case, make sure they are both charging and push the center button for 12 seconds.
I must say it: the audio quality is good but the product quality is a PITA.
Yes connected as right earhook can play music using left FH5.

Reset is done.

This seems to be more of a physical connection issue rather than software.

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #1,643 of 2,559
Yep, there is some issue with the physical connnection with the earhooks and the case. I had to sometimes put the earhook in the case 2-3 times to make it recognize by the case, or shake it.
I returned my defective UTWS5 to the local distributor and they said they will RMA it back to FiiO. That will take a month. That sucks because they cant exchange me a new one immediately, they said it's FiiO decision to replace me with a new one or not.

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #1,644 of 2,559
Hello, anyone using the utws5 with samsung smartphone? Since it not support aptx hd/adaptive/ and no LHDC also, so i wonder if it good enough with just aptx or any solution for Samsung smartphone to utilise the utws5? (Shame to SS though, since i use flagship s22 ultra but still struggle with bluetooth codec). Or do we have plan to implement LDAC to the utws5? :)

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #1,645 of 2,559
Yes, I also hope we get a new version soon! Hopefully with the latest qualcomm SoC (aptx Lossless/LC3).

Personally id love a much smaller and portable case as well. So it can compete with TWS on portability.

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #1,648 of 2,559
I got my UTSW5 last week and was excited to see that Xiaomi had added LHDC (listed as 'LHDC_v3' in dev options) to my Pocophone F1 before they abandoned it. I use my earphones almost solely when out walking the dog, with the phone in my right pocket next to my leg.

LHDC worked fine for the first couple of days, but then I started to notice odd dropouts - I would get bizarre tonal shifts, as if certain frequency bands were being lost, or I would find that some parts of the spectrum were distorted (especially the treble). Troubleshooting was complicated by the fact that everything is going through Wavelet (which is an essential game-changer), but I was able to verify that Wavelet wasn't causing the problem. Switching sameplerate and bitdepth in dev options seemed to make things a bit better, but I would still get the problem (I left bitrate on auto). I found a BT signal strength meter app and discovered that the signal drops by over 30dB when I put the phone down next to my leg. So it seems that this is a simple result of physical limitations - you can only squeeze so many bits into the signal when over half the power is being absorbed by my body. I turned LHDC off to drop back to AptX and all the problems went away, and that's what I'll use from now on. I'm not too fussed about AptX Adaptive, as I suspect that for my use case it'll simply 'adapt' the bitrate down to the level I'm getting from AptX now.

If I can move the phone away from my body then LHDC works perfectly. I'm listening using it now with the phone just sitting on my desk and range seems fine. I've never tried LDAC or AptX HD, but I suspect they're subject to the same physical limitations, though it's possible they might fail more gracefully.

I note that Fiio's LHDC implementation is listed as 'beta' in the changelog. Maybe it would be worth making the switch down to the lower bitrate more aggressive. It would certainly be nice if you could force transmission to be limited to 48kHz/16 bits, as 96/24 over bluetooth is just a fantasy outside lab conditions (and a waste of time anyway).

Oct 3, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #1,649 of 2,559
I got my UTSW5 last week and was excited to see that Xiaomi had added LHDC (listed as 'LHDC_v3' in dev options) to my Pocophone F1 before they abandoned it. I use my earphones almost solely when out walking the dog, with the phone in my right pocket next to my leg.

LHDC worked fine for the first couple of days, but then I started to notice odd dropouts - I would get bizarre tonal shifts, as if certain frequency bands were being lost, or I would find that some parts of the spectrum were distorted (especially the treble). Troubleshooting was complicated by the fact that everything is going through Wavelet (which is an essential game-changer), but I was able to verify that Wavelet wasn't causing the problem. Switching sameplerate and bitdepth in dev options seemed to make things a bit better, but I would still get the problem (I left bitrate on auto). I found a BT signal strength meter app and discovered that the signal drops by over 30dB when I put the phone down next to my leg. So it seems that this is a simple result of physical limitations - you can only squeeze so many bits into the signal when over half the power is being absorbed by my body. I turned LHDC off to drop back to AptX and all the problems went away, and that's what I'll use from now on. I'm not too fussed about AptX Adaptive, as I suspect that for my use case it'll simply 'adapt' the bitrate down to the level I'm getting from AptX now.

If I can move the phone away from my body then LHDC works perfectly. I'm listening using it now with the phone just sitting on my desk and range seems fine. I've never tried LDAC or AptX HD, but I suspect they're subject to the same physical limitations, though it's possible they might fail more gracefully.

I note that Fiio's LHDC implementation is listed as 'beta' in the changelog. Maybe it would be worth making the switch down to the lower bitrate more aggressive. It would certainly be nice if you could force transmission to be limited to 48kHz/16 bits, as 96/24 over bluetooth is just a fantasy outside lab conditions (and a waste of time anyway).
LHDC is working fine in my case (with whatever bitrate/samplerate), even better than LDAC on XM4. I get only occasional dropouts or disconnections.
I think it might be related to your phone or your utws5 sample.

Oct 3, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #1,650 of 2,559
LHDC is working fine in my case (with whatever bitrate/samplerate), even better than LDAC on XM4. I get only occasional dropouts or disconnections.
I think it might be related to your phone or your utws5 sample.
Walking around with your phone in your pants right next to your leg? As I said, it works fine as long as I can move the phone away from my body.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back