[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Sep 10, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #1,592 of 2,559
I'm testing lhdc on a redmi phone. Which settings are you guys using in developer options? I set 900kbps - 44.1 khz - 16bit (I guess is a nonsense to have 96khz and 24bit on a 900kbps stream). Anyway this settings keep being reverted whenever the earhooks are disconnected or the phone is restarted. Is there any workaround for this?

Sep 10, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #1,593 of 2,559
I'm testing lhdc on a redmi phone. Which settings are you guys using in developer options? I set 900kbps - 44.1 khz - 16bit (I guess is a nonsense to have 96khz and 24bit on a 900kbps stream). Anyway this settings keep being reverted whenever the earhooks are disconnected or the phone is restarted. Is there any workaround for this?
If you are referring to the UTWS5 defaulting to AptX Adaptive each time, this cannot be bypassed. You need to set up LHDC each time.

Sep 10, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #1,594 of 2,559
If you are referring to the UTWS5 defaulting to AptX Adaptive each time, this cannot be bypassed. You need to set up LHDC each time.
The UTWS5 don't default to aptx, they are always on LHDC. Someone from Fiio reported on this topic that xiaomi phones keep that setting. What is always reverting to default are the bitrate/samplerate/bitdepth under developer options.

Sep 10, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #1,595 of 2,559
The UTWS5 don't default to aptx, they are always on LHDC. Someone from Fiio reported on this topic that xiaomi phones keep that setting. What is always reverting to default are the bitrate/samplerate/bitdepth under developer options.
Really? So, on your phone the UTWS5 connects via LHDC straight away? Because I have the Xiaomi POCO F2 Pro running Android 12 and each time I take them out of the case they are set to AptX Adaptive. I need to go to Bluetooth settings and enable LHDC. I've already reported this here, on the next post another user confirmed, and I've also asked FiiO in another post and they have confirmed that it defaults to AptX Adaptive when it initially connects. Which phone exactly do you have and which Android version are you running?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #1,597 of 2,559
Android 12, Miui 13.0.13. The phone is a Redmi Note 10 Pro.
Hmm... That is strange... I am running MIUI 13.0.4 stable, on Android 12 and both of my two pairs of the UTWS5 default on AptX Adaptive. I need to go to the Bluetooth settings and enable LHDC each time I take them out of the case.

Hey, @FiiO , I believe some members of your team have Xiaomi phones, can you clarify how does this work?
So, when taking the hooks out of the case, do they connect using AptX Adaptive or LHDC?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #1,598 of 2,559
I forgot to say that these earhooks are awesome with lhdc. More details, more air, better soundstage.
I hope the future model will support aptx lossless. My trip to full quality wireless sound has been long enough :jecklinsmile:

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #1,599 of 2,559
I forgot to say that these earhooks are awesome with lhdc. More details, more air, better soundstage.
I hope the future model will support aptx lossless. My trip to full quality wireless sound has been long enough :jecklinsmile:
Agree completely, tested them with phone supporting lhdc. Well... Quality is best i heard really similar to wire quality, who needs anything else. Best sound possible is with lhdc and utws5 in tws market. This is still not well translated to the outside world. Mass produced tws even really expensive is still behind. Poco phones for example has easy way to change to lhdc , but 900 kbps version i think restores to "best possible" version. Then have to go to developer options to change agains. Why it isn't possible to make constant i dont know. Perhaps manufacturers knows better.

Sep 13, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #1,600 of 2,559
Hmm... That is strange... I am running MIUI 13.0.4 stable, on Android 12 and both of my two pairs of the UTWS5 default on AptX Adaptive. I need to go to the Bluetooth settings and enable LHDC each time I take them out of the case.

Hey, @FiiO , I believe some members of your team have Xiaomi phones, can you clarify how does this work?
So, when taking the hooks out of the case, do they connect using AptX Adaptive or LHDC?
Dear friend,

I am using Xiaomi mobile phone as well. And I will get the same phenomenon as you mentioned. And I checked in the APTX website, the Redmi Note 10 Pro supports Aptx but not Aptx adaptive.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 13, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #1,601 of 2,559
By the way what iems do you use with utws5. I still want to decide where is utws5 ceiling. When it was poor codec i knew but with lhdc i now more thinking what iems to get . Knowing utws little warmer and musical tuning i really think about neutral or even brighter iems that could be good option wanting more reference neutral output.

Sep 13, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #1,603 of 2,559
Dear friend,

I am using Xiaomi mobile phone as well. And I will get the same phenomenon as you mentioned. And I checked in the APTX website, the Redmi Note 10 Pro supports Aptx but not Aptx adaptive.

Best regards
Thanks for confirming. I have tested this a bit and on my Xiaomi POCO F2 PRO I cannot set LHDC to 900 kbps. It appears to be always set to Balanced (500/560 kbps). I tried many things, setting sample rate to 44.1 and 48 and the bit rate to 16 and 24. I've tried to set it during playback and after stopping playback and closing [YouTube and Amazon Music Unlimited]. It is always set to Balanced. I am not sure if it even sets to 900 when I select it, because there's no change in the sound during playback. And when I return to the Developer settings to check, it is set to Balanced.

Is this how it is supposed to work or do I need to set something differently?

POCO F2 Pro, MIUI 13.0.4 stable, on Android 12

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #1,604 of 2,559
By the way what iems do you use with utws5. I still want to decide where is utws5 ceiling. When it was poor codec i knew but with lhdc i now more thinking what iems to get . Knowing utws little warmer and musical tuning i really think about neutral or even brighter iems that could be good option wanting more reference neutral output.
I'm using the Blessing2. They are neutral/analytical with some brightness. Don't expect the ak dac to change deeply their character but of course they will sound somehow more relaxed, and not saying that because I dislike ak converters, since every equipment I have is built with them inside.
I think I will upgrade the moondrop if the lossless technology will be improved. Anyway with lhdc or ldac we are already near to cable performances.

Sep 13, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #1,605 of 2,559
Thanks for confirming. I have tested this a bit and on my Xiaomi POCO F2 PRO I cannot set LHDC to 900 kbps. It appears to be always set to Balanced (500/560 kbps). I tried many things, setting sample rate to 44.1 and 48 and the bit rate to 16 and 24. I've tried to set it during playback and after stopping playback and closing [YouTube and Amazon Music Unlimited]. It is always set to Balanced. I am not sure if it even sets to 900 when I select it, because there's no change in the sound during playback. And when I return to the Developer settings to check, it is set to Balanced.

Is this how it is supposed to work or do I need to set something differently?

POCO F2 Pro, MIUI 13.0.4 stable, on Android 12
Tested briefly on poco f4gt , f4 or x4gt amd see always returning to adaptive setting in lhdc developer options. In your phone its on balanced. Interesting. Is it really locks on different options?. Seem not. But today tested without utws5 connected, only bluetooth on. This could be the reason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back