[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Apr 24, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #1,188 of 2,559
Oh, you mean automatically pause while switching to/from Ambient?

No. Music is muted during the transition, but does not pause.
I should have pointed out that the transition is quite brief, 1 - 2 seconds.

Apr 24, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #1,189 of 2,559
How do you like them with the Variations? I'm looking at getting a pair.

I currently have the FH5 IEMs on my UTWS5 and love their decent sound and great sub bass. From reviews and graphs it seems like the variations are just a much better technical and tonal IEM while keeping the great bass/sub bass of the FH5.

Would you agree?
I haven't heard the FH5 but have the FH7. To my ears, the Variations have better sub-bass and treble extension. If you look at the chart for the FH7, there is some wonkiness from 3 to 5K - not unlike the FH5s. The Variations doesn't have any of that weird FR and ultimately, the tonality sounds more natural. The UTWS5 is really a great DAC / amp and sounds great on a number of IEMs, including the Variations.

Apr 25, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #1,190 of 2,559
Hello Fiio,

just some quick feedback.
1) Tell users that they need to use old fashioned chargers, not the fancy quick charge etc. as it doesn't work or isn't supported.
(took me two weeks to figure this out when hospitalized and having only one charger, very frustrating)
2) Battery level goes only up to 86%, so it's a calibration issue
3) Me too now can confirm 2% battery difference between left and right.
4) Please fix dark mode issue (black settings icon on black background is not a great contrast :wink:

Do we have a rough ETA on a new FW ?

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #1,191 of 2,559
@FiiO , I agree with the post above. I also want to ask, when can we expect an update to the FiiO Control app? A firmware requires a lot of work and testing, but is it really that difficult to fix that phantom notification, which does not show anything? Also, can we get a bitrate reading, showing the actual bitrate and codec in the app?

Apr 27, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #1,193 of 2,559
I'm planning on getting a 64 Audio U12t which has a flat 2 pin connector.

What are the pros/cons to getting the:

UTWS5 MMCX along with MMCX to 2 pin conversion ... vs ... UTWS5 2 pin?
If your IEM has a very recessed 2pin socket than getting UTWS5 mmcx with 2pin conversion will be a better choice. If you have IEM that has standard 2pin connector than get the 2pin UTWS5 if you can find it.

Apr 27, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #1,194 of 2,559
If your IEM has a very recessed 2pin socket than getting UTWS5 mmcx with 2pin conversion will be a better choice. If you have IEM that has standard 2pin connector than get the 2pin UTWS5 if you can find it.
Some people have said that the flat U12t 2pin socket may be too fragile for the UTWS5 2pin which may result in the socket getting damaged over time - thoughts on that?

Apr 27, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #1,195 of 2,559
Some people have said that the flat U12t 2pin socket may be too fragile for the UTWS5 2pin which may result in the socket getting damaged over time - thoughts on that?
Well you can always be gentle when inserting and don't change IEM too much for the UTWS5.

Apr 28, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #1,196 of 2,559
Screenshot_20220428-151832_Gallery.jpg

These u12ts have the 2 pin utws5 & according to the owner it fits well & they sound great.
The only benefit I can see with using the mmcx one is that you can rotate them in the case & also if the pins break you just have to replace a fitting instead of the utws5.

Apr 28, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #1,197 of 2,559
Screenshot_20220428-151832_Gallery.jpg
These u12ts have the 2 pin utws5 & according to the owner it fits well & they sound great.
The only benefit I can see with using the mmcx one is that you can rotate them in the case & also if the pins break you just have to replace a fitting instead of the utws5.
Just what I wanted to hear, thank you! Out of curiosity, what's the benefit of being able to rotate the IEMS in the case? Is it if they don't fit when connected to the standard 2 pin UTWS5? I guess this isn't a problem for your friend's U12t?

Apr 28, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #1,198 of 2,559
Just what I wanted to hear, thank you! Out of curiosity, what's the benefit of being able to rotate the IEMS in the case? Is it if they don't fit when connected to the standard 2 pin UTWS5? I guess this isn't a problem for your friend's U12t?
You won't have to rotate the u12t as you can see but if you ever what to use other future iems you may need to.

Apr 28, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #1,199 of 2,559
I'm planning on getting a 64 Audio U12t which has a flat 2 pin connector.

What are the pros/cons to getting the:

UTWS5 MMCX along with MMCX to 2 pin conversion ... vs ... UTWS5 2 pin?
I actually find that the 2 pin connector makes the fit of the UTWS5 better for me.

Without the connector when I have other MMCX IEM's on the UTWS5 the casing hangs too low behind my ears. I find that with the connector I get a better fit.

Apr 28, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #1,200 of 2,559
So I had recently been looking into getting some truly wireless earphones just for the convenience of not having wires dangling around all the time and constantly having to worry about securing my player in my pockets and having the wires underneath my clothing or catching on stuff when getting up and walking around the office at work. Wired is fine for just sitting completely still at home or something but out and about, nothing beats that wireless convenience.

And so I was going around looking at the various options for wireless and nothing really seemed appealing. But then I remembered about these bluetooth earhook devices and I had a perfectly good pair of Campfire Audio Vega's that I have been using for years and years now. I already know I love the sound of them and they seemed perfectly compatible so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the latest from Fiio, the UTWS5.

Just got em' today and so far so good. Honestly couldn't be anymore perfect in terms of fit and finish... supremely comfortable and no longer have wires dangling around. When it comes to using them wired, the Vega's are plenty secure in the ears when you are wearing both but quite often I just have one side popped in and the other side just kind of dangling by the wire and it would always manage to wriggle loose the side that was in my ears due to all the weight going to one side. No such issues with wireless! Can have one in, or both in, and always maintain the same secureness and comfort no matter what!

Sound so far has been plenty good. No complaints.

Will report back after putting them through their paces but so far very happy with my purchase :) (excuse the terrible cell phone pics, lol)

20220427_230108.jpg
20220427_225611.jpg
20220427_230019.jpg

20220427_231812.jpg

20220427_231708.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back