[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Mar 2, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #976 of 2,559
If everything goes well, the stable firmware will be released at about next week. But the EQ support will not be added in this firmware.

Best regards
Thank you, that's great news! :)

I hope it will take care of the erroneous charging levels shown in the App, and also that the App will recognize the Bluetooth connection straight away, as soon as you open it, like it used to, before the update. Now I need to tap on the FiiO UTWS5 icon to show it as connected. Personally, I do not need anything else, I will never use the transparency mode or any equalizer. My 7Hz Timeless sound fantastic, absolutely brilliant, on Amazon HD, Qobuz and YouTube without any EQ.

Mar 2, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #979 of 2,559
Thank you!
You’re welcome

I haven’t been able to control playback with the Bluetooth device buttons, so that’s a downside

Mar 2, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #980 of 2,559
If everything goes well, the stable firmware will be released at about next week. But the EQ support will not be added in this firmware.

Best regards
Looking forward to the official update.

Mar 3, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #981 of 2,559
A question to the owner of UTWS5 (especially MMCX), is the red/blue ring at the tip made from hard plastic? I plan to pair this with Senn IE900 that come with odd Fidelity+ MMCX that requires longer shaft. Which meant I need to shave off part of the red/blue ring by 2-3mm or remove it completely, if either option are even possible.

Thank in advance!

Mar 3, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #982 of 2,559
A question to the owner of UTWS5 (especially MMCX), is the red/blue ring at the tip made from hard plastic? I plan to pair this with Senn IE900 that come with odd Fidelity+ MMCX that requires longer shaft. Which meant I need to shave off part of the red/blue ring by 2-3mm or remove it completely, if either option are even possible.

Thank in advance!
Why not try an adapter instead of destroying your UTWS5?

1646312881156.png

Super Mini MMCX 0.78 Male To Female 0.78mm QDC FitEar JH EXK Acoustune UM V3 IM IE 500PRO IE 40PRO IPX Plug AdapterA2DC

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #984 of 2,559
Yes, delete the UTWS5 from your phones bluetooth settings, keep bluetooth on. Reinstall the FiiO Control App but don't start it yet. Put both Hooks back in the case, hold the button in the case for 15secs, ignore the led flashing white-red and keep holding until the led on the case turns of, then let go of the button. After a few seconds the led should start to flash white-red again. Go into the FiiO Control App, grand all permissions and wait till it finds the UTWS5 (you can click on the refresh button in the App to find it, if it doesn't do it on its own). Once it has been found, click on it. Accept all pairing requests.
I followed these instructions, which allowed me to successfully open it in the control app, but then my iPhone couldn't actually connect to them, even though they had "paired". I tried it a second time, but now when I hold down the case button for three seconds nothing happens. A quick press will show the battery level, but a longer press will not start pairing mode or perform a factory reset. How can I fix this?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #985 of 2,559
Thank you dmphile, GhalMaraz. I intend to go with adapter plus 2-pin UTWS5 however that FiiO model is OOS for weeks. Desperate man thinking of desperate measure.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #986 of 2,559
I followed these instructions, which allowed me to successfully open it in the control app, but then my iPhone couldn't actually connect to them, even though they had "paired". I tried it a second time, but now when I hold down the case button for three seconds nothing happens. A quick press will show the battery level, but a longer press will not start pairing mode or perform a factory reset. How can I fix this?
Dear friend,
1. Clear pairing (Keep the ear hooks inside, and then long-press the multifunction button of the charging case for 12s after opening the case lid.)
2. If the UTWS5 could not connect to the FiiO Control app well, please click the play button in the UTWS5 after connecting to the mobile phone, then select the UTWS5 in FiiO Control app.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 4, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #987 of 2,559
Hey @FiiO look what I made with your UTWS3.... Wish I could get my hands on the UTWS5 instead, did the AKM fire effect supply?

ElegiaModded.jpg

Also consider updating the 5 with a good EQ people can make themselves, and perhaps making some shaped to be used with portable headphones :p

Think you guys have something that can be a real winner across the board for headphones and IEM's!

Mar 4, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #988 of 2,559
Has anyone ever used it with Campfire Solaris ?
I'm interested
I realize I'm responding to an older thread question, but just in case other Campfire Solaris (2020) owners come across this post, size wise, they fit perfectly into the charge case. I have been using this setup for a few hours and the ability to chuck the cable is fantastic and more than worth the price. Ergonomically it also works very well for me. Wearing them feels natural, and I really like how they "hang" over my ears. They feel solid and very smooth. In this respect as well, I prefer this setup over cables, especially the thin variety that comes with the Solaris that can sometimes chafe. In fact, I noticed that the IEMs remain lodged in my ear canal more securely compared to using them with a cable. So: it's a 10/10 solution for IEMs on the go. There's only one big "but" at the end of this otherwise glowing mini review: the sound signature that's introduced by the Fiios is problematic, for me. This is a personal thing but the Fiios introduces a "warm" tonality across the board. I'm not sure whether it's related to the particular DAC/Amp used, or the fact that they're connected via Aptx to my Samsung S21 and therefore suffer from the lower BT bitrate. Reading the thread, there's some talk that Fiios will introduce EQ controls through their app (worth checking if you're coming across this post in the future). This will be a crucial feature. Otherwise the Solaris are losing their wonderful sparkle and "tonal resolution" in the mids and of course the bass regions (I can live with slightly less sparkle in the highs). To be honest, they sound a bit muddy. It's not subtle either. It's obvious. Now, if you like this kind of sound signature, or if your IEMs are a bit harsh, you're in luck. But comparing the Fiios to my other portable DAC/Amp which is the iFi GoBlu (connected via LDAC to the S21) and the difference is dramatic. I'd be very interested to know if others experienced a similar phenomena. Maybe I'm missing something. Because I'd love to keep the UTWS5's.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #989 of 2,559
I realize I'm responding to an older thread question, but just in case other Campfire Solaris (2020) owners come across this post, size wise, they fit perfectly into the charge case. I have been using this setup for a few hours and the ability to chuck the cable is fantastic and more than worth the price. Ergonomically it also works very well for me. Wearing them feels natural, and I really like how they "hang" over my ears. They feel solid and very smooth. In this respect as well, I prefer this setup over cables, especially the thin variety that comes with the Solaris that can sometimes chafe. In fact, I noticed that the IEMs remain lodged in my ear canal more securely compared to using them with a cable. So: it's a 10/10 solution for IEMs on the go. There's only one big "but" at the end of this otherwise glowing mini review: the sound signature that's introduced by the Fiios is problematic, for me. This is a personal thing but the Fiios introduces a "warm" tonality across the board. I'm not sure whether it's related to the particular DAC/Amp used, or the fact that they're connected via Aptx to my Samsung S21 and therefore suffer from the lower BT bitrate. Reading the thread, there's some talk that Fiios will introduce EQ controls through their app (worth checking if you're coming across this post in the future). This will be a crucial feature. Otherwise the Solaris are losing their wonderful sparkle and "tonal resolution" in the mids and of course the bass regions (I can live with slightly less sparkle in the highs). To be honest, they sound a bit muddy. It's not subtle either. It's obvious. Now, if you like this kind of sound signature, or if your IEMs are a bit harsh, you're in luck. But comparing the Fiios to my other portable DAC/Amp which is the iFi GoBlu (connected via LDAC to the S21) and the difference is dramatic. I'd be very interested to know if others experienced a similar phenomena. Maybe I'm missing something. Because I'd love to keep the UTWS5's.
Totally agree. UTWS5 has warm sound signature. It should be good with bright iems. I'm using Shure Aonic 4 and there is definitely lack of highs. That's big difference between UTWS5 and cable (with usb dac). Some instruments sound unnatural (hats, cymbals, etc.) because of low aptx bitrate.
UTWS5 needs two things:
1. EQ (it definitely needs clearer highs)
2. Higher bitrate codec (LHDC for example, as Fiio says it can be technically implemented, but doesn't say if it really would).

Mar 4, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #990 of 2,559
Totally agree. UTWS5 has warm sound signature. It should be good with bright iems. I'm using Shure Aonic 4 and there is definitely lack of highs. That's big difference between UTWS5 and cable (with usb dac). Some instruments sound unnatural (hats, cymbals, etc.) because of low aptx bitrate.
UTWS5 needs two things:
1. EQ (it definitely needs clearer highs)
2. Higher bitrate codec (LHDC for example, as Fiio says it can be technically implemented, but doesn't say if it really would).
This makes sense. I think I'm a year or so early to this party. And I only have one pair of IEMs - so I can't match another. Considering how shockingly good BT DAC/Amps like the iFi GoBlu are nowadays - I'm hoping Fiio will catch up in the sound quality department. At least for the 20% of us that care enough and have IEMs that expose the problem. Otherwise it's a phenomenally well realized solution. As it is, however, I'll probably have to return it and continue to tangle up with those dang cables :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back