[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Jan 6, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #661 of 2,560
I’ve tried everything, these things connect to my phone but I am unable to actually play any music through them. Absolute garbage. Complete waste of money. That’s the last time I buy a fiio product. I can’t even return them realistically because they move come from china(Aliexpress). Oh well, that’ll teach me for going if the grid a little.
Anyone tired the Shure TW adaptors?
IMHO, there is no absolute perfect GOAT TWS earhook adapter on the market right now. But, if your IEMs fit the TW2 case (small IEMs, ideally negative profile like a Shure or Westone IEM), aren't super hard to drive, and you're OK with the big cumbersome TW2 charging case and lack of wireless Qi charging... the TW2 absolutely rock and have amazing attention to detail, usability, and quality control. After trying basically every other current earhook TWS adapter on the market, I'm very happy with my TW2.

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #662 of 2,560
IMHO, there is no absolute perfect GOAT TWS earhook adapter on the market right now. But, if your IEMs fit the TW2 case (small IEMs, ideally negative profile like a Shure or Westone IEM), aren't super hard to drive, and you're OK with the big cumbersome TW2 charging case and lack of wireless Qi charging... the TW2 absolutely rock and have amazing attention to detail, usability, and quality control. After trying basically every other current earhook TWS adapter on the market, I'm very happy with my TW2.
I’m using sennheiser IE900s and they are tiny so no issues with profile. I’m going to stick this fiio rubbish on eBay and give the Shure a go I think. Is there an audible noise floor floor (hiss) with the Shure? I tried their old Bluetooth adaptor a few years back and that has a loud hiss.

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #663 of 2,560
I’m using sennheiser IE900s and they are tiny so no issues with profile. I’m going to stick this fiio rubbish on eBay and give the Shure a go I think. Is there an audible noise floor floor (hiss) with the Shure? I tried their old Bluetooth adaptor a few years back and that has a loud hiss.
IE900, very nice! I do suspect they will fit.

Re: noise. The noise floor, insofar as I can audibly detect with my SE846 is very quiet. No hiss that I can hear at near max volume.

One pro-tip: When you get the Shure Play app installed, they ask you to pick which Shure IEMs you are using. IIRC, this sets the volume levels, gain, etc. and would thus impact noise floor and maximum volume level. I'd look up the specs of the Shure models and see which best matches your IEMs re: impedance, sensitivity, etc. for best experience.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #664 of 2,560
I’ve just received my set, I’m not having a good user experience so far. I’ve managed to connect them to my iPhone and only the right ear is showing as connected in the app and no sound from the left side. I’ve tried a reset and I can’t even connect to them now.

I can’t get the case to flash red and white again. I’ve held the button down for 12 seconds and the earhooks flash but that’s it. Anyone got any ideas?

It shows both when it first connects and then it just shows the right one. Is that normal or should both battery indicators be displayed?

It just keeps saying power on over and over and each ear now and when I try to play music through them they aren’t shown in my devices.
It seems you are using a beta firmware. Most of us are using version 1.1

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #666 of 2,560
From where can I check the firmware I have?

Also, I've observed that mine does not charge fully, to 100%
Specifically, I fully charge the case, I can tell because the main light on the front of the case is not pulsing anymore. Then I place the earhooks inside and I leave it overnight. In the morning, the charge level is less than 100%, usually around 97 - 98%. If I remove them and place them back in, they fully charge. I've done a factory reset, once, but it didn't fix the issue.

Anyone else observing something similar?
@FiiO , any ideas?

Jan 7, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #667 of 2,560

Specifically, I fully charge the case, I can tell because the main light on the front of the case is not pulsing anymore. Then I place the earhooks inside and I leave it overnight. In the morning, the charge level is less than 100%, usually around 97 - 98%. If I remove them and place them back in, they fully charge. I've done a factory reset, once, but it didn't fix the issue.

@FiiO , any ideas?
How did you do a factory reset? Is that pressing the button down for 12 seconds?

Jan 7, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #668 of 2,560

@FiiO , any ideas?
You could check the firmware version via the FiiO Control app. And please check whether the battery protection option is on?
1641543180246.png

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 7, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #669 of 2,560
I’ve just received my set, I’m not having a good user experience so far. I’ve managed to connect them to my iPhone and only the right ear is showing as connected in the app and no sound from the left side. I’ve tried a reset and I can’t even connect to them now.

I can’t get the case to flash red and white again. I’ve held the button down for 12 seconds and the earhooks flash but that’s it. Anyone got any ideas?

It shows both when it first connects and then it just shows the right one. Is that normal or should both battery indicators be displayed?

It just keeps saying power on over and over and each ear now and when I try to play music through them they aren’t shown in my devices.
Dear friend,

Please check whether you have remove the protector in the charging pins of the UTWS5 first. Then you could hold the button in the charging box for at least 15s to reset the UTWS5.
And as far as I learn, the MMCX connector of ie900 is special version which have higher height of female connector access section. Can the UTWS5 fit it well?

1641543938756.png

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 7, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #670 of 2,560
Dear friend,

Please check whether you have remove the protector in the charging pins of the UTWS5 first. Then you could hold the button in the charging box for at least 15s to reset the UTWS5.
And as far as I learn, the MMCX connector of ie900 is special version which have higher height of female connector access section. Can the UTWS5 fit it well?

1641543938756.png

Best regards
I’m using my Shure 535 until I receiver the MMCX adaptor for the IE900. I have removed the charge pin cover.
Thank you for your help, I will try again today to see if I can get them to connect.

Jan 7, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #671 of 2,560
Used est112 with utws5. Very good. Now with Sony xba n3, it's good! Really powerful utws5
PXL_20220107_084450170.jpg

Jan 7, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #672 of 2,560
again what about ldac vs the codec on these things? And whats so special about snap dragon sound?
The difference between ldac and aptX, aptX-HD, SBC and AAC was highlighted in a Dongletest from Amir at ASR. (sry, no link at hand)
If you heard the difference from ldac to aptX-HD with your library in any Setup, chances are great, you will hear it here also.
But this only counts for LDAC 990, the other quality levels of ldac are equal to aptX and aptX-HD or AAC. SBC is a little worse, but they all distort at one point in the spectrum some in the deep, some in the high regions.
If you don' t get a CIEM-fit with something like a monarch and a high-res library or use them to walk around, there shouldn't be to obvious flaws with the provided specs. Clair worked grate on the UTWS5 but scaled with 4.4 on the m11+.

Jan 7, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #674 of 2,560
You could check the firmware version via the FiiO Control app. And please check whether the battery protection option is on?
1641543180246.png

Best regards
Mine keeps booting into the app, then booting me back to the start with my UTWS5 disconnected again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back