FiiO R7 All-In-One Desktop Android HiFi Music Player Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #632 of 1,105
Hi! Just tried the combo (R7 + HD 600) for few hours. From the power point of view, there is plenty to drive these phones. I added also an KA3 in game, just to have something small for long trips. I'm amazed how well this small DAC / HP amplifier perform! I tried both type of connection on HD 600 (SE and balanced) with both devices. On R7 the sound is quite neutral, a little less low end compared with KA3, but the advantage of power on R7 side is obvious. I think that is too early to make a final decision for sound character, as I need many hours to let the HD 600 for "burn in".
Worth to mention that on KA3 plus Samsung S23 ultra there is no infamous 48kHz limitation of android system. I didn't expected... And this is using only Apple Music without Fiio music app or UAPP, Neutron, audio tweaking in Samsung's settings, etc. ... Just plug and play!
Nice one, thanks! I use my Qudelix 5K for around the house listening and am surprised how good the HD 600 sounds as well. R7 looking good though... cheers!

Jun 1, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #634 of 1,105
Yep, another one here who has no noise coming from the unit. Apart from what comes out of my headphones that is :smile_phones:

Jun 10, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #636 of 1,105
We finally published our review of the R7!

https://www.headfonia.com/fiio-r7-review/

FiiO-R7-4-overlay.png
Great Review, I'm eager to buy one and use it mostly as a "transport" for my DAC

Jun 10, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #637 of 1,105
Hi,
One quick question...
If I put a 2 or 4Tb Unit into this
Great Review, I'm eager to buy one and use it mostly as a "transport" for my DAC
Are there not much cheaper and as gfood options to do that ?

We probably have totally different uses. Me, I am looking for this as an all-in-one solution. One device to stream + DAC + pre-amp + headphone amp... If that would have a power amplifier to drive passive speakers, it would be even better :wink:

Regards.

Jun 11, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #638 of 1,105
Two questions:
1. I'm using the R7 as a Roon endpoint mostly (at this time). Just wondering if it would be possible to have the screen with Album Art and music controls re-appear when Roon goes to the next song? Currently, I can set the display time of this screen in Settings -> Display -> Screen Timeout. But after that time-out, the Album Art screen disappears, never to re-appear. There's no setting to set it to 'always on', and it doesn't re-appear on song change. Or maybe I'm missing something...? :)

2. I have a few issues with streaming the audio from my Apple TV to the R7 through built-in Airplay. (Using the R7 as 'external speakers' on the Apple TV).
- There are 'hicks and clicks' with the built-in Airplay function, but not if I install a separate app for Airplay.
- There are audio / video sync issues... I just can't get it to sync the video coming from the Apple TV (to my TV) with the Audio coming from the R7 (through Airplay).
This would normally be a nice way to watch video on my apple TV, and listen to the audio from the R7 with headphones on.

Jun 12, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #641 of 1,105
Two questions:
1. I'm using the R7 as a Roon endpoint mostly (at this time). Just wondering if it would be possible to have the screen with Album Art and music controls re-appear when Roon goes to the next song? Currently, I can set the display time of this screen in Settings -> Display -> Screen Timeout. But after that time-out, the Album Art screen disappears, never to re-appear. There's no setting to set it to 'always on', and it doesn't re-appear on song change. Or maybe I'm missing something...? :)

2. I have a few issues with streaming the audio from my Apple TV to the R7 through built-in Airplay. (Using the R7 as 'external speakers' on the Apple TV).
- There are 'hicks and clicks' with the built-in Airplay function, but not if I install a separate app for Airplay.
- There are audio / video sync issues... I just can't get it to sync the video coming from the Apple TV (to my TV) with the Audio coming from the R7 (through Airplay).
This would normally be a nice way to watch video on my apple TV, and listen to the audio from the R7 with headphones on.
Dear friend,

For the second question, the builtin Airplay function in R7 is mainly for connecting to iPhone, so maybe it is comaptible problem with the Apple TV.
Does the TV support Bluetooth function or coaxial output instead? If yes, you may try this connection to see whether it helps?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 12, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #643 of 1,105
What are your experiences with the external power supply?, Is there any increase in "musicality"... :D
Absolutely none :)...i use mostly planars and bt headsets so i can't say if dynamic drivers benefit from linear power supply but in my experience there is no sound difference and it should not be one in any case in theory... if you have a noisy power circuit in ypur home then i guess there should be a diminishing in background noise. Switch mode power supply in the r7 is quite good and it is my understanding that fiio put some work in isolating the electronics in it...

Jun 12, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #644 of 1,105
Absolutely none :)...i use mostly planars and bt headsets so i can't say if dynamic drivers benefit from linear power supply but in my experience there is no sound difference and it should not be one in any case in theory... if you have a noisy power circuit in ypur home then i guess there should be a diminishing in background noise. Switch mode power supply in the r7 is quite good and it is my understanding that fiio put some work in isolating the electronics in it...
Thank you for you comments, I appreciate it !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back