FiiO R7 All-In-One Desktop Android HiFi Music Player Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #226 of 1,095
Hi, if everything goes well, this function will come before the end of next month.
Just another honest opinion / request: I'm really glad for development of this piece of technology (I mentioned this before) and that's the reason for which I have this in my portfolio before beeing complete from software point of view. OK, to be honest till end, the price was the second reason, but almost equal with first!
What I want to say is that this major FW release was previously announced for the end of this month... Now I see the end of April... To Fiio staff: Please give us a honest deadline, not commercial.

Mar 12, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #228 of 1,095

Good review - thanks for sharing!

It does raise an important question that is worth asking @FiiO about:

@FiiO - in your forthcoming R9 model, have you considered adding analog input(s) to the back as well? It/they could be a pair of RCA jacks, or even just a simple 3.5mm Line In jack. That would open up the R7 to even more use cases - it would then be able to handle both analog inputs and outputs alongside its existing ability to handle both digital inputs and outputs.

Then it could act as just an AMP in addition to being a DAC/AMP or just a DAC (and also a preamp!). It’s really the only piece missing to be a true all-in-one.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #229 of 1,095

@FiiO - in your forthcoming R9 model, have you considered adding analog input(s) to the back as well? It/they could be a pair of RCA jacks, or even just a simply 3.5mm Line In jack. That would open up the R7 to even more use cases - it would then be able to handle both analog inputs and outputs alongside its existing ability to handle both digital inputs and outputs.

Then it could act as just an AMP in addition to being a DAC/AMP or just a DAC (and also a preamp!). It’s really the only piece missing to be a true all-in-one.
Hi,

Yes... Right, but then there would one another thing missing : an integrated power amplifier.

With analog inputs and power amplifier you could have it all for sound :wink:
- Analog in
- Optical in
- Coaxial in
- USB in
- Analog out (for active speakers or power amp)
- Digital out
- Powered analog out (for passive speakers)

After all, Shanling has an EM5 (no power amplifier) and an EA5 (with power amplifier).
And such a device with power amplifier seems to make sense : look at Naim, Cambridge Audio or NAD. They all have such "all-in-ones".
So such a device, maybe with slightly less sound quality, but at a fraction of the price ( 1/3) would be a good idea.

And Fiio : do not make the same mistake Shanling did : the new EA7 is priced at 2200€...
For some euros more you can get a device with power amplification (which the EA7 does not have) from NAD or NAIM or Cambridge Audio.
I highly doubt that the EA7 will sell with those competitors.
Especially with it's crippled software (I owned the EA5 for 2 weeks before I returned it : perfect hardware, crippled software killing it. That is why I insist on software).

Regards.

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #230 of 1,095
Hmmm…..
Acording to the above review Lip Syncing issue is there, which is big let down for those who thought this is one stop shop for all digital needs - including streaming from Netflix/ Disney+ from TV and Streaming box.

The way he handled the R7 looks like very light device.

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #231 of 1,095
Hmmm…..
Acording to the above review Lip Syncing issue is there, which is big let down for those who thought this is one stop shop for all digital needs - including streaming from Netflix/ Disney+ from TV and Streaming box.

The way he handled the R7 looks like very light device.

Was thinking the same about lightweight.

About lipsync : I won't use it with video. So not a problem for me.

Mar 12, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #232 of 1,095
Hi,

Yes... Right, but then there would one another thing missing : an integrated power amplifier.

With analog inputs and power amplifier you could have it all for sound :wink:
- Analog in
- Optical in
- Coaxial in
- USB in
- Analog out (for active speakers or power amp)
- Digital out
- Powered analog out (for passive speakers)

After all, Shanling has an EM5 (no power amplifier) and an EA5 (with power amplifier).
And such a device with power amplifier seems to make sense : look at Naim, Cambridge Audio or NAD. They all have such "all-in-ones".
So such a device, maybe with slightly less sound quality, but at a fraction of the price ( 1/3) would be a good idea.

And Fiio : do not make the same mistake Shanling did : the new EA7 is priced at 2200€...
For some euros more you can get a device with power amplification (which the EA7 does not have) from NAD or NAIM or Cambridge Audio.
I highly doubt that the EA7 will sell with those competitors.
Especially with it's crippled software (I owned the EA5 for 2 weeks before I returned it : perfect hardware, crippled software killing it. That is why I insist on software).

Regards.
As you mentioned Naim. A dedicated Poweramplifier would be my preference. With that option we can match synergies between speaker and amp or use powered speaker. Also there will occur less heat issues.

Mar 12, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #233 of 1,095
As you mentioned Naim. A dedicated Poweramplifier would be my preference. With that option we can match synergies between speaker and amp or use powered speaker. Also there will occur less heat issues.
Sure...
But you missed my point.
Device would not be "all-in-one" anymore will it be ?

And Naim has "all-in-one" devices with integrated power amplifier that can drive something else than their speakers... because they do not have speakers.

Besides, I highly doubt that anyone trying to get the every last drop of performance to have the absolute best sound with synergies between amp and speakers will be interested in an all-in-one anyways... He will get a separated CD-player, a dedicated streamer, a dedicated pre-amps, a dedicated power amp (or even better, a pair of mono power amps)...

But that is of course a totally personal point of view. So we may have different ones :wink:

Regards.

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #234 of 1,095

@FiiO - in your forthcoming R9 model, have you considered adding analog input(s) to the back as well? It/they could be a pair of RCA jacks, or even just a simple 3.5mm Line In jack. That would open up the R7 to even more use cases - it would then be able to handle both analog inputs and outputs alongside its existing ability to handle both digital inputs and outputs.

I was kind of disappointed to find there were no analog inputs after coming from an Oppo HA-1, which I've currently got my turntable hooked up to. I bought a cheap ADC from Thomann (Swissonic Converter AD 24/192), which I've tested with the COAX input on my HA-1 and it seems to work nicely, the bit-depth and sample rate from the ADC also perfectly match the FiiO R7's COAX specs (24-bit, 192kHz). It's a shame that a superfluous analogue to digital and then digital to analogue conversion needs to take place, but measurements of this ADC show that it should convert fairly transparently for turntables.

I'm more concerned about the latency brought up in this latest review when using the R7 as a DAC for a PC. I play a lot of competitive FPS games, and having audio latency of "400 to 500ms" would completely kill this product for me, and even just watching videos with such a delay would significantly degrade the experience. I currently have no noticeable latency with my Oppo HA-1 when used with my PC (for PCM audio at least), and if the R7 really does have latency close to half a second I will probably have to return it.

Reading more posts about FiiO's other Android DAPs (such as the M11 Plus), it seems this latency is universally a problem when using them in USB DAC mode, and this R7 "Desktop" DAP is not significantly different architecturally to their other DAPs. Lots of users have returned their M11 DAPs for this reason, and I think I'll have to cancel my pre-order of the R7. I hadn't even considered the additional latency of Android-based devices until this latest review brought it up. Think I'll be sticking with the HA-1 for a bit longer after all :frowning2:

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #235 of 1,095
Hi Mat,

I wonder why you'd like to do that.

If I get this correctly, you'd like your Raspberry pi4 (and I assume it has a Digi hat card) running moOde to feed the Fiio R7 with optical input.

I see the thing, but I do not get why you'd like to do that, as the R7's scope would be to replace the Raspberry pi4 device.

Unless you'd like to use the R7 to feed the D50. Then I assume you'd use the R7 digital OUTput and not INput...

And I guess (I don't have the device) that selecting that output will not restrict your access to Android apps.

But I don't see why you'd want to use the R7 with a Pi4 and/or with a D50 anyways as the R7 is more or less designed to replace both of those devices.

And if Fiio does the job correctly, you won't miss any feature in moOde and you won't hear a difference between your DAC and the Fiio R7's DAC (not sure you'd be able to hear a difference between ESS9038 and ESS9068 at this point).
Hey, sorry for the late reply.

I have a NAS with all my music stored on it in various formats from 320mp3s up to 24/192 FLAC files. I have a little Topping stack (A50/D50S/P50) and use that to play to my headphones. I want to be able to play full resolution and for now have a raspberry pi (with a digi hat) running Moode which I control from an app on my phone. I like moode because it can pick and play me a random album - but I'd be happy with any solution that could do that for music on a server rather than stored locally. I used to have use LMS on my NAS but it's a bit slow on the hardware I have so retired it in favour of moode.

While controlling moode via my phone is easy, using an always on screen would be better, hence my asking about running the app on the R7 while in Optical input mode.

So basically if there was any way of simply streaming music (with random album selection) from my NAS to the R7 and controlling it from the built in screen, then I probably buy one tomorrow.

On the Topping stack I use the USB input from my pc (fed by foobar 2000 & Qobuz) so that should work the same I assume, although of course I could run Qobuz directly on the R7 so that's good. Then I use the digital input via a cheap analog-digital device to play my small vinyl collection. I'm assuming that would work the same on the R7 too.

Hope that's clearer now, but happy to answer any more questions or try any suggestions. Eliminating as much as possible in the chain is always good I guess :wink:

Thanks
-Mat

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #236 of 1,095
I am missing integrated LPS as in K9 pro and more modes on headphones AMP.

So K9 with a streaming feature - will be really great device.

R7 I will skip for now. As having a K9 pro, don't wish to downgrade in sound.

Mar 12, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #237 of 1,095
Hey, sorry for the late reply.

I have a NAS with all my music stored on it in various formats from 320mp3s up to 24/192 FLAC files. I have a little Topping stack (A50/D50S/P50) and use that to play to my headphones. I want to be able to play full resolution and for now have a raspberry pi (with a digi hat) running Moode which I control from an app on my phone. I like moode because it can pick and play me a random album - but I'd be happy with any solution that could do that for music on a server rather than stored locally. I used to have use LMS on my NAS but it's a bit slow on the hardware I have so retired it in favour of moode.

While controlling moode via my phone is easy, using an always on screen would be better, hence my asking about running the app on the R7 while in Optical input mode.

So basically if there was any way of simply streaming music (with random album selection) from my NAS to the R7 and controlling it from the built in screen, then I probably buy one tomorrow.

On the Topping stack I use the USB input from my pc (fed by foobar 2000 & Qobuz) so that should work the same I assume, although of course I could run Qobuz directly on the R7 so that's good. Then I use the digital input via a cheap analog-digital device to play my small vinyl collection. I'm assuming that would work the same on the R7 too.

Hope that's clearer now, but happy to answer any more questions or try any suggestions. Eliminating as much as possible in the chain is always good I guess :wink:

Thanks
-Mat
Hi,

So far, the R7 does not do that out of the box.

But there are some really simple workarounds to circumvent that limitation... thanks to Android :wink:

You just have to install one app like USB Player Pro (UAPP) or BubleUPnP or Neutron Player.
If you want to use Parametric EQ for headphones, Neutron Player is probably a good choice as you can select your headphone directly from the AutoEQ results lists.
GUI of that app is confusing but it is incredibly powerful once you know how to use it a little more.
Within the settings of those apps you can turn on the UPNP renderer.

And... voilà :wink:

You can just select those as the renderer from your phone or tablet.

I can tell as I am doing it with my Fiio M11 Pro player :)
Works like a charm...

Mar 12, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #238 of 1,095

I have one additional thought to add to this - if back panel space is an issue for some reason... does the R9 (or the R7 for that matter!) really need two analog RCA outputs? Just convert one of them to an input - voila!

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #239 of 1,095
Hi,

So far, the R7 does not do that out of the box.

But there are some really simple workarounds to circumvent that limitation... thanks to Android :wink:

You just have to install one app like USB Player Pro (UAPP) or BubleUPnP or Neutron Player.
If you want to use Parametric EQ for headphones, Neutron Player is probably a good choice as you can select your headphone directly from the AutoEQ results lists.
GUI of that app is confusing but it is incredibly powerful once you know how to use it a little more.
Within the settings of those apps you can turn on the UPNP renderer.

And... voilà :wink:

You can just select those as the renderer from your phone or tablet.

I can tell as I am doing it with my Fiio M11 Pro player :)
Works like a charm...
ok, I have in the past bought both UAPP and Neutron. Quickly looking at UAPP again I can't see how to get it to look at my NAS share so any tips would be great thanks. Neutron, as I recall was ridiculously complicated, but may be better now?

Any instructions you can share would be great thanks. I'm not really sure what you're saying. Do I run both Moode and UAPP on the R7 then or does UAPP replace Moode? The idea for me is to NOT have to use my phone to control anything but to use the always on touchscreen of the R7 since it will be close to hand on my desk.

Thanks and sorry for being thick :)

-Mat

Mar 13, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #240 of 1,095
Just to confirm, the R7 supports full MQA 8x unfolding when being used as a USB DAC to a PC (with the Tidal Desktop app performing the first unfold), correct?

Reason I ask is that I just tried using my FiiO M11 Pro as a USB DAC for the first time (mainly to check how bad the latency is) and it doesn't seem to support MQA decoding when used as a USB DAC, but I'm guessing this is just due to limitations of the older device and DAC chip?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back