FiiO R7 All-In-One Desktop Android HiFi Music Player Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #166 of 1,107
Hi,
Considering buying this device that seems to fit my every needs... More or less.
It is a direct competitor to the Shanling EM5 that I have owned for 2 weeks before I returned it because of the catastrophic software.

ANyone in here who has the device and could answer these questions for sure :
- 1°) is the R7 considered as a renderer out of the box with apps like BubbleUPnP or Symfonium (I don't know why no one ever mentions Symfonium which is a fantastic player) ;
- 2°) if you use the R7 with BubbleUPnP (or any other third party software) does it play nicely all tracks in a row ? The Shanling EA5 randomly stopped playing tracks after some time ! And I've heard other devices have the same behaviour (Naim UnitiQute). And having to stick to Fiio in-house app will not do as it does not fit my needs ;
- 3°) It has been asked several times, but do the headphone amplifier really deploys the promised power so it's able to drive my Dan Clark Aeon Flow closed cans ?
- 4°) I read about a "rumoured R9". can it be that this R9 would also include a poweramp to drive passive speakers (which would make it a competitor to Shanling EA5 or other things like Cambridge ou Naim stuff...)
- 5°) What about overall sound quality ? I expect it to be quite spectacular with ESS9068 and THX amps...

As a side note I would like to emphasize that since AliExpress has to comply to VAT rules, it is not interesting to buy from them : price on Ali today 840€ ; price from local dealer : 700€. And I can return the product within 14 days, no questions asked.

As a second side note, to all those asking for PEQ on this device : if it can be used as a renderer, you should give a look at the Neutron App. It offers "professionnal DSP level" and that reflects on the destination device. Thisz is quite a unique feature. Unfortunately evaluation is limited to 30 minutes and then you'll have to pay 10€. But it may be worth it :wink:

P.S. will read the TechPowerUP review now.

Mar 5, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #167 of 1,107
Hi,
Considering buying this device that seems to fit my every needs... More or less.
It is a direct competitor to the Shanling EM5 that I have owned for 2 weeks before I returned it because of the catastrophic software.

ANyone in here who has the device and could answer these questions for sure :
- 1°) is the R7 considered as a renderer out of the box with apps like BubbleUPnP or Symfonium (I don't know why no one ever mentions Symfonium which is a fantastic player) ;
- 2°) if you use the R7 with BubbleUPnP (or any other third party software) does it play nicely all tracks in a row ? The Shanling EA5 randomly stopped playing tracks after some time ! And I've heard other devices have the same behaviour (Naim UnitiQute). And having to stick to Fiio in-house app will not do as it does not fit my needs ;
- 3°) It has been asked several times, but do the headphone amplifier really deploys the promised power so it's able to drive my Dan Clark Aeon Flow closed cans ?
- 4°) I read about a "rumoured R9". can it be that this R9 would also include a poweramp to drive passive speakers (which would make it a competitor to Shanling EA5 or other things like Cambridge ou Naim stuff...)
- 5°) What about overall sound quality ? I expect it to be quite spectacular with ESS9068 and THX amps...

As a side note I would like to emphasize that since AliExpress has to comply to VAT rules, it is not interesting to buy from them : price on Ali today 840€ ; price from local dealer : 700€. And I can return the product within 14 days, no questions asked.

As a second side note, to all those asking for PEQ on this device : if it can be used as a renderer, you should give a look at the Neutron App. It offers "professionnal DSP level" and that reflects on the destination device. Thisz is quite a unique feature. Unfortunately evaluation is limited to 30 minutes and then you'll have to pay 10€. But it may be worth it :wink:

P.S. will read the TechPowerUP review now.
Hi!
I will answer to your questions from my personal experience with this device:
1. UAPP, Neutron or similar shall be installed to use it with BubbleUpnp or similar;
2. With BubbleUpnp run without issues the longest playlists. With MConnect, nothing predictable, but because of MConnect which crash itself randomly;
3. Here I cannot answer as I prefer the commodity of good floor speakers;
4. I can't figure that an internal amplifier will make this device better... For me is good as it is and I can use it in various scenario's without being restricted by supplementary dimensions, weight, supply, etc.;
5. As I mentioned before, it sound a bit superior than my previous Topping D70S (dual AK4497), but this is true as a personal opinion and in combination with my system.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #170 of 1,107
Hi!
I will answer to your questions from my personal experience with this device:
1. UAPP, Neutron or similar shall be installed to use it with BubbleUpnp or similar;
2. With BubbleUpnp run without issues the longest playlists. With MConnect, nothing predictable, but because of MConnect which crash itself randomly;
3. Here I cannot answer as I prefer the commodity of good floor speakers;
4. I can't figure that an internal amplifier will make this device better... For me is good as it is and I can use it in various scenario's without being restricted by supplementary dimensions, weight, supply, etc.;
5. As I mentioned before, it sound a bit superior than my previous Topping D70S (dual AK4497), but this is true as a personal opinion and in combination with my system.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answers.

But answer to question one is sufficient to make my decision NOT TO BUY this device.
If it is not seen as a rendered without the help of third party app, I can only predict that at some point it will not work as I want it too.
So if anyone else confirms taht it can't be remotely controlled by a phone or tablet running Bubble UPNP or any other like that, it may be a superb device, but not for me :frowning2:

Regards.

Mar 5, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #171 of 1,107
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answers.

But answer to question one is sufficient to make my decision NOT TO BUY this device.
If it is not seen as a rendered without the help of third party app, I can only predict that at some point it will not work as I want it too.
So if anyone else confirms taht it can't be remotely controlled by a phone or tablet running Bubble UPNP or any other like that, it may be a superb device, but not for me :frowning2:

Regards.
It will receive these feature via next FW update... Probably this month. Confirmed previously by Fiio staff...

Mar 5, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #172 of 1,107
FiiO RM3 Bluetooth Remote Control for FiiO R7 is now available in our Aliexpress store.
If you would like to get one, please click here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005282609925.html

RM3功能说明图-英文版.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 6, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #174 of 1,107
Mar 6, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #176 of 1,107
It will receive these feature via next FW update... Probably this month. Confirmed previously by Fiio staff...
Hi Ionut,
I'll wait for the feature to be inplemented.
I'll then wait for reports about how it is working.
If the feature is indeed implemented and if reports are that it works as it should, I'll probably get one.
As this is about all I ever wished :)

Mar 6, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #177 of 1,107
Hi Ionut,
I'll wait for the feature to be inplemented.
I'll then wait for reports about how it is working.
If the feature is indeed implemented and if reports are that it works as it should, I'll probably get one.
As this is about all I ever wished :)
I wait quite impatient this feature and I will install the related FW as soon as will become available... Consequently I will post my impression as fast as possible!

Mar 6, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #178 of 1,107
I wait quite impatient this feature and I will install the related FW as soon as will become available... Consequently I will post my impression as fast as possible!
Hi,
Nice...
Looking forward your report :wink:
And good to know I am obviously not the only one wishing for that feature to exist !
The R7 won't be available until 14 to 30 days at local retailer, so I hope your review will be posted by then :wink:
Regards.

Mar 6, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #179 of 1,107
Hi,
Nice...
Looking forward your report :wink:
And good to know I am obviously not the only one wishing for that feature to exist !
The R7 won't be available until 14 to 30 days at local retailer, so I hope your review will be posted by then :wink:
Regards.
Just a hint related to sellers (I'm not sure if the forum politics allow): I get mine from HiFiGo. No issues with custom fees, good price and fast delivery!
https://hifigo.com/products/fiio-r7?_pos=1&_sid=166d8dce6&_ss=r

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #180 of 1,107
Just a hint related to sellers (I'm not sure if the forum politics allow): I get mine from HiFiGo. No issues with custom fees, good price and fast delivery!
Hi,
Thanks but my local reseller, which is on the way to work, will stock it within 2 to 4 weeks and offers a price that is even lower than the one from the shop you're linking to.
As an added bonus : it is possible to return the product within 14 days, no questions asked.

I already got the Shanling EA5 from them.
And given all problems with that device, I could return it...

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back