FiiO Q7 Portable Desktop-Class DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Oct 19, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #256 of 719
How does one add PEQ to Q7? All the digital sources I can think of bypass EQ when sending bit perfect digital out.

Oct 20, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #257 of 719
The Story of FiiO Portable Desktop-Class Amplifier Q7

Chapter 2 Dual power supply modes

Today we are going to talk about another design detail of the Q7.

Although the Q7 continues the dual-mode power supply design, i.e. DC+ battery, of the M17, the design details are different due to different product categories and usage scenarios.

1. Strengthen the concept of "desktop mode"
DAC/Amps must be used with an audio source, and the Q7 is relatively large, so in a fixed scenario, users will basically use an external power supply to charge the Q7 as a desktop device. At this time, the battery is not expected to be charged for a long time, and it does not meet the optimal storage conditions of the battery (less than 85% of the power is suitable for storage). Therefore, in this mode, battery isolation is required, that is, neither charging nor discharging, which can effectively ensure the safety and life of the battery under high temperatures. Just like notebooks, their battery manager also has a similar function. (Picture 1)

图1.jpg

Toggle the switch at the bottom of the Q7 to the "DC" position, and connect the Q7 to the adapter included in the accessory or the PL50 linear power supply, the Enhanced over-ear headphone gain will be enabled, leading the Q7 to the desktop mode. (Picture 2)
图2.png

If you want to recharge the battery at this time, you can toggle the switch from the "DC" to the "BAT" level.

2. The role of the charging switch
If you have ever used our DAC/Amps, you may know what the charging switch is. It exists on our Q3, BTR7 and other products, which is designed to work with mobile phones without consuming their power.

Therefore, this switch is only valid when charging through the USB port, and it is recommended to use it only when working with mobile phones for decoding.

To explain the detailed functions of the charging switch more clearly, we simply made a summary table for the desktop mode and charging switch logic. (Picture 3)
图3.jpeg

* The charging switch is only valid for USB power supply, not valid for DC power supply.
* When it is connected to the adapter through the DC port, the USB power supply will be automatically disconnected. When the DC power supply is not used, the BAT will be forced to work.
*No matter what state, it will be forced to charge as long as the battery is low and automatically shuts down.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 20, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #259 of 719
Finally, received my Q7 just now, but I am stoned with this AC plug.
It is not a regular US plug, how can I use it for DC power.
@FiiO is it mistake? I see no adapter for the plug inside.

That looks like an Australian plug? I would also check the power brick because it might be 220-240V and not suitable for use in the US.

I have just noticed that the plug says 250V so don't try and use it.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #260 of 719
plug.jpg
Definitely not a US plug, but look at the power supply and see if you have a UL approved logo. If not, don't try to use with and adapter.

Oct 20, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #261 of 719
Definitely not a US plug, but look at the power supply and see if you have a UL approved logo. If not, don't try to use with and adapter.

Looking at the plug, the power supply is the wrong voltage for the US

Oct 20, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #262 of 719
Looking at the plug, the power supply is the wrong voltage for the US
If that's the case, there is no plug adapter that will work. That's surprising because most "power bricks" are switching ones that operate from 100-240V where you only need a physical adapter.

I'm sure Fiio will swap it out for you while you use the Q7 in Bat mode and charge via USB port.

Oct 20, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #263 of 719
That looks like an Australian plug? I would also check the power brick because it might be 220-240V and not suitable for use in the US

If that's the case, there is no plug adapter that will work. That's surprising because most "power bricks" are switching ones that operate from 100-240V where you only need a physical adapter.

I'm sure Fiio will swap it out for you while you use the Q7 in Bat mode and charge via USB port.
The power brick spec is 100v-240v 50-60hz 12A, so I guess that it is fine, just the AC plug is wrong.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #264 of 719

You are correct that most power bricks are switchable but without seeing it I wouldn't take the risk. It's looks like that one is for use in the Australian market

Oct 20, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #265 of 719
Yep, as others have noted, move to Australia (or New Zealand!) and you’ll be all set! :D 🇦🇺🇳🇿

Seriously though, as long as the A/C adapter itself is multi-voltage (as most are now), you just need a slightly different power cable, or a plug adapter.

Where did you buy it from? …an Australian or New Zealand vendor?

(The same plug is called the AS/NZS 3112, and is also used in Argentina, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, and several countries in the Pacific islands.)

Oct 20, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #268 of 719
It's not proofread or published yet, but since there's not a lot of coverage on the Q7 I figured you guys might be interested in seeing the working draft of my review: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/fiio-q7-portable-desktop-class-dac-amplifier/

Could you please explain these phrases:
This time around, we get only up to 8x on-device rendering as opposed to the full 16x.
It should use xmos XU316 so full 16x support.
  • You are paying extra for MQA support
Not clear. What you should pay extra for MQA?

Oct 20, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #269 of 719
Could you please explain these phrases:

It should use xmos XU316 so full 16x support.

Not clear. What you should pay extra for MQA?
1)
1666296931849.png
taken from https://www.fiio.com/Q7_parameters

2) MQA licensing costs ESS to add it to the DAC which in turn is passed on to the consumer. There are DACs with the exact same feature set but sans MQA that cost less than the MQA version for context.

Oct 20, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #270 of 719

Users who are viewing this thread

Back