[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Jan 2, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #2,371 of 3,234
With my FH7 not being a fairly neutral IEM in addition to the Q5S I thought I was really getting no base at all. Turns out one of my issues was I was getting a terrible seal with SpiralDots even though they are so comfortable.

Been able to do several hours of listening today and tried several different tips and the foam tips gave a much better seal and allowed me to get some good bass out of the Q5S while retaining the better detail it seems to have over the Q5.

While doing reading on some other things today I also learned of UAPP. I have always just been using the Tidal app as I never knew anything of UAPP. Amazing what that can do for the overall sound of what you are listening to as well.

Needless to say it has been an enlightening day of listening.

Any suggestions for a balanced cable between the Fiio 4.4C and 4.4D? Or maybe another cable even?

Happy New Year to all!
The fiio cables are not that famous

@hakuzen is our cable expert he has a big and good list of cables in his thread whit measurements and his opinion

Here is the thread
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low-end-cheap-generic-otherwise-bang-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #2,372 of 3,234
Has anyone seen the new Fiio LA-UA1 USB power isolator, I'm just about to order one from Aliexpress, unless someone can talk me out of it.
Just try it but me as a electrician i only feed my dacs and amps whit high protein and low carb current

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #2,373 of 3,234
Just lost my q5s... Should I this time get the one with thx module...
I wouldn't hesitate as there seems to be limited numbers of the AM3D modules. I just recently bought the AM3D and although I didn't get enough time to get used to the stock AM3E to really notice all the differences, I do feel there are some benefits in the AM3D.

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #2,374 of 3,234

Go for it.

I have A-B both and THX -78 amp has more resolution and sounded more realistic esp on vocals where you can hear the last breath more pronounce. I also like the more 3D soundstage and better layering. the resolution is just better than AM3E. It's not day and night but it's easily perceptible. (more like cable swap and a little more).

That being said, if you need more power, go for the AM3E. It still has its place. The Bass is slightly stronger to my ears (again very slight).

To be honest, if you A-B them by removing the module screwing and unscrewing (which takes time), you may not even spot these diff (since you can't remember the sound before). but if you have another Q5S with THX and swap on the fly and also going in with the mind of spotting the diff, you will find them easily. (only when you concentrate and do absolutely nothing besides spotting for differences). All I am trying to say, its not day and night like switch to THX and then ahhhh... what a diff. Its not going to happen.

All I am saying is the AM3E is pretty darn good already esp for power hungry headphones. For IEM and CIEM, go for THX-78 since you don't need that power - at least exchange for more resolution.. Its worth that $50 more.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #2,375 of 3,234
Just try it but me as a electrician i only feed my dacs and amps whit high protein and low carb current
Would you say for an average Joe like myself that it would be of an advantage to have one when listening using USB from pc? I am usually lazy to turn off usb charging while using. My iems aren't particularly sensitive, but like my signature says if I get 5% improvement 5% of the time I'm happy.

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #2,376 of 3,234
Thanks for the inputs. I wasn't expect a drastic difference but it's nice to hear positive feedbacks. Felt buying a separate amp module was a bit wasteful when I still had my Q5s with E module. Now that I'm starting from scratch I don't really need the extra power from E for my iems.

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #2,378 of 3,234
Would you say for an average Joe like myself that it would be of an advantage to have one when listening using USB from pc? I am usually lazy to turn off usb charging while using. My iems aren't particularly sensitive, but like my signature says if I get 5% improvement 5% of the time I'm happy.
That depends on your dac amp and and the infrastructure of the place you live here in germany we have no flow fluctuations and short circuit we split every household and every single room of the household in socket circut and light circut and use high quality cable everything grounded whit touch protection fuses short circut fuses and most importand residual current circuit breakers ( it switches the complete circut out off current when there is a difference between 30 milliampere in between the phase and the neutral conductor. So for me it would bring nothing but maybe if i load the q5s in my car and load it same time (yes i plug it in the aux off my car my car audio gets another level of sound quality realy great.

But like i said another country can have another system where it could have easy short circuts and peaks in the current

Try it when you want but for me its just an Gimmick

Be aware this adapter works just for loading your battery not to play music

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #2,379 of 3,234
BTW have people compared Q5s with M11 Pro? I thought they would be identical but reading the specs the dac chips are different and M11 pro has MQA support.
M11 pro has a better dac and should sound better

M15 will be released in a few weeks but it cost 1300 dollar

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #2,380 of 3,234
I would for $50 difference. I have no logic behind that but oh well!

Jan 3, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #2,382 of 3,234
Jan 3, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #2,383 of 3,234
Has anyone compared this (with AM3D) to the iFi Micro BL?

I'm contemplating either replacing my desktop and around the house with the BL, or getting a Q5s and using it as the around the house part.

Jan 3, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #2,384 of 3,234
Has anyone compared this (with AM3D) to the iFi Micro BL?

I'm contemplating either replacing my desktop and around the house with the BL, or getting a Q5s and using it as the around the house part.
I briefly owned the iFi xDSD which was described as sounding more musical than the Q5/Q5s. I changed to the Q5s and am really happy with it. I use it as a desktop and around the house and it is ideal for my needs, I find it to be a good size for either using OTG with my tablet or phone or using bluetooth. Don't know if that helps at all.

Jan 4, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #2,385 of 3,234
Has anyone seen the new Fiio LA-UA1 USB power isolator, I'm just about to order one from Aliexpress, unless someone can talk me out of it.
I dont see much sense for it becasuse it does not have data tranfer! No use for USB audio from PC. Only power source.
So it is only for charging or when you want SPDIF of optical input on Q5s and want to charge in parallel.
If it would have also data transfer I would buy it immediatelly.:triportsad:
https://fiio.com/productinfo/392240.html
2431606.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• XTF1
Back