[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 19, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #1,471 of 3,226
I've been exchanging emails with FiiO support on the problem connecting to the Q5s with the FiiO app's BT Control on an IOS device. They shared a video of it working, so I shared a video of it not working. I'm awaiting to hear if they might have a newer app or firmware version, or an older IOS version.

Has anyone else been able to get BT Control working from an IOS device? So far, the only response was from another person confirming it doesn't work.

Aug 19, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #1,472 of 3,226
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/csr8675
In the specs of CSR 8675 they don't list LDAC.
So what's going on? Do they implement a way to convert LDAC into APTX HD within android platform?
If so any loss of audio bit data in the process?

Aug 20, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #1,473 of 3,226
I wouldn't say K3's sound quality is not good at all. It's just not as good as Q5s but it's good enough to enjoy it for everyday listening. I've had it for months and I am happy with it. And I intend to keep my K3 as a backup device. Also it's cheap.
May be I use the wrong word, sorry for that. :pray:

If compare its price/functions, K3 is a bargain. But it is too forgiveness for all type of albums. I can't hear the different of good record album against a bad one. It doesn't like my full set at home. This is a little bit annoy me and this a reason that I looking for a better DAC. :bow:

Aug 20, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #1,474 of 3,226
Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #1,476 of 3,226
Codecs and Bitrates Comparison
  • AAC: 250 kbps
  • SBC: 328 kbps
  • aptX: 352 kbps
  • aptX HD: 576 kbps
  • LDAC: 990 kbps
So on good Android phone you can achieve 4x higher bitrate (quality) bluetooth connection then on iPhone.
LDAC can transmit 16-bit/44.1kHz CD quality files completely untouched.

https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/
Yes My point is not that. Csr8675 does not natively support LDAC. Highest is APTX HD. But on multitude of devices which has this chip has been made to support LDAC. If chip does not support it natively in hardware, there should be software converting. As Csr8675 support APTX HD (24/48) as highest codex, any conversion should be lossy in comparison to LDAC (24/96)
So it's all marketing? Better to stick to APTX HD in android devices than LDAC? For Sony DAPs things may be different as they only support LDAC. Still there should be some loss in conversion?

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #1,477 of 3,226
Codecs and Bitrates Comparison
  • AAC: 250 kbps
  • SBC: 328 kbps
  • aptX: 352 kbps
  • aptX HD: 576 kbps
  • LDAC: 990 kbps
So on good Android phone you can achieve 4x higher bitrate (quality) bluetooth connection then on iPhone.
LDAC can transmit 16-bit/44.1kHz CD quality files completely untouched.

https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/

A note on this.

To achieve 990 on ldac you will need to go into developer settings and set the codec to prioritize audio quality over connection quality. Standard ldac not altered is adaptive which means it can get to 990 but can also go as low as 330

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #1,478 of 3,226
A note on this.

To achieve 990 on ldac you will need to go into developer settings and set the codec to prioritize audio quality over connection quality. Standard ldac not altered is adaptive which means it can get to 990 but can also go as low as 330
On samsung devices it begins to stutter at 990

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #1,479 of 3,226
Csr8675 does not natively support LDAC. Highest is APTX HD. But on multitude of devices which has this chip has been made to support LDAC. If chip does not support it natively in hardware, there should be software converting. As Csr8675 support APTX HD (24/48) as highest codex, any conversion should be lossy in comparison to LDAC (24/96)
Very good point.
I tried to find some info and - yes, LDAC is sw implemented, Aptx is hw implemented. It is hidden in CSR8675 specification as Qualcomm® eXtension program. This is support for some "sw plugins" from connected companies. If you go here https://www.qualcomm.com/solutions/voice-and-music/extension-program and scroll down , you will see also Sony LDAC.
So this chip can implement lot of things by plugin. Good idea.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #1,480 of 3,226
For practical reasons, it would be interesting to compare all these Bluetooth codecs in terms of power consumption too. If aptX transfer less data than higher codecs and also uses less power it would be better to use it on the go with streaming services that don't go past 320 Kbps.
I for once, don't do critical listening while on the move and 99% of the time use Spotify. When I'm home and listen to Hi-Res on full-size cans I also use USB connection anyway.

Aug 20, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #1,482 of 3,226
There is a difference, of course, LDAC is most power hungry. But I think the difference is not big. Not enough for having to think about switching codec all the time. I have always LDAC best quality.

I see more problem with power consumption of the rest of Q5s. Sometimes body is so hot! Why when powering only small IEMs? This is very strange, I cannot understand it. Compare with your phone which delivers the same power - it is cool when playing audio only. Today I will get leather case. I am not sure it is safe to use it, what happens when overheating. Silicon chips will have no problem but is it good for battery to heat it to 60 C? I don't think so.

Aug 20, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #1,483 of 3,226
How do you connect this to android devices via USB without it draining the phone battery? I tried list night to do some hard wired listening on the pixel 2xl and my phone was charging the Q5S
Solution is OTG micro on both sides of the cable, not standard OTG. Fiio ML06 cable or similar, probably CL06 for USB-C is also working this way. There are also other cheaper on Aliexpres (read user comments).

Aug 20, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #1,484 of 3,226
I am also having a problem with the Q5s draining my phone battery but only when the Q5s is turned off and connected to my phone. When the Q5s is turned on then no backcharging occurs. I am already using the Fiio CL06 cable. I also don't have a backcharging issue with my previous Q5 when using the CL06 cable. Until a permanent fix is found I 'll just need to remember to disconnect the USB cable each time the Q5s is turned off or my phone battery will drain at around 1% per minute. Any possible things to try would be greatly appreciated. :)

Aug 20, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #1,485 of 3,226
Yes My point is not that. Csr8675 does not natively support LDAC. Highest is APTX HD. But on multitude of devices which has this chip has been made to support LDAC. If chip does not support it natively in hardware, there should be software converting. As Csr8675 support APTX HD (24/48) as highest codex, any conversion should be lossy in comparison to LDAC (24/96)
So it's all marketing? Better to stick to APTX HD in android devices than LDAC? For Sony DAPs things may be different as they only support LDAC. Still there should be some loss in conversion?

Ldac is software based and a Sony thing. You think all those oreo based devices that have ldac support have some sort of ldac chip.?

The Qualcomm chip is a transmitter and reciever chip. The reason is has aptx and aptx HD is they're Qualcomm licenced so of course they included them. With a bluetooth 5 chip, you can be sure it supports the highest rate of ldac.

No worries :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back