[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Jul 16, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #332 of 3,226
for me that would be a deal breaker if there is no system wide eq
Me too, I just received a Q5 (used from another HeadFi’er), and while its OK “without EQ”, and I like the build quality, will definitely not get the Q5s if it doesn’t support HW para EQ either.

At this point I’m being forced down the DAP route..

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #333 of 3,226
Me too, I just received a Q5 (used from another HeadFi’er), and while its OK “without EQ”, and I like the build quality, will definitely not get the Q5s if it doesn’t support HW para EQ either.

At this point I’m being forced down the DAP route..
some of my earphones will sound trash whitout eq i think i have to stick whit my es 100 when there is no (hw para eq)

Jul 16, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #334 of 3,226
Why would the Q5s have an EQ? That is the job of the source to provide. Yes I used eq all the time on my phone which went to the Q5, or with my laptop to the Q5. This isn't a DAP, it is an amp and a DAC so no need for an eq integrated into it. Not sure where people got the idea that it would have equalization ability?

The Q5 has no need of the fiiO music ap for any equalization. I used both Onkyo HF Player and JRiver and equalized with both players which went through the Q5.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #335 of 3,226
some of my earphones will sound trash whitout eq i think i have to stick whit my es 100 when there is no (hw para eq)
I wish ES100 was made in a good case with a better battery - no gimmick “90%” option. I’m surprised other manufacturers not entering into similar realm (also BTR suffers same ergo/case issues, arguably less features). It seems like would be good market for such.. easily a $200 purchase for me with ergo and battery improvements. Thrown in a newer DAC too or DLNA, whatever.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #336 of 3,226
Why would the Q5s have an EQ? That is the job of the source to provide. Yes I used eq all the time on my phone which went to the Q5, or with my laptop to the Q5. This isn't a DAP, it is an amp and a DAC so no need for an eq integrated into it. Not sure where people got the idea that it would have equalization ability?
Because it is useful, consider these use cases.
- Not all sources can EQ
- Can EQ same from all sources
- Centralize EQ from same device / different headphones

Since MY goal, and such seems to be a common goal, of trying a Q5 was to avoid a DAP (because I don’t want multiple screens), well.. shucks.

Then Q5 is a true half-DAP, other half is phone/source agnostic.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #337 of 3,226
Because it is useful, consider these use cases.
- Not all sources can EQ
- Can EQ same from all sources
- Centralize EQ from same device / different headphones

Since MY goal, and such seems to be a common goal, of trying a Q5 was to avoid a DAP (because I don’t want multiple screens), well.. shucks.

Then Q5 is a true half-DAP, other half is phone/source agnostic.
Dude, the Q5 has no interface, you can't run anything on it, it is a hardware device. How would you install and interact with an equalizer through the Q5? I have no idea what you mean. It is not a DAP. Are you suggesting that built into the Q5 would be an equalizer that is exposed to the different possibly sources? I am not saying that is impossible (maybe it is) but it is certainly not common for such a device and I don't think that FiiO suggests the Q5 has this ability. And it is not a DAP at all, it is a hardware amp/DAC and it relies on a properly featured source.

I realise that the ES100 has built in hardware equalization ability, but the Q5 does not and I would personally prefer the flexibility of a software based eq, but I guess if people want this, perhaps it is a feature that FiiO will put into a future product. Sorry for misunderstanding your intent, my bad.

I do realize that the way the EQ is implemented in the ES100 allows for a great deal of flexibility so that kind of renders my point moot. Maybe I will become a fan of built in hardware equalizers.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #338 of 3,226
So just to amend/correct myself. I was completely missing the point at first about the Q5 utilizing a built in hardware eq as they aren't that common in my experience (but I do know that they have been used on several devices such as the ES100). I apologize for totally missing the point. I was thinking for some odd reason that people were thinking about a software based eq (which in retrospect was quite silly to think anybody was asking for). Sorry thread, my bad, I think I should read more carefully. That will teach me to post while cooking dinner at the same time!

Jul 16, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #339 of 3,226
Most people prefer a hardware device which does not color the sound. FIIO follows that philosophy in this device too I guess. Hardware EQ would include components which would add or change native sound fed into the device. They emphasize that concept by giving us the option of AM3D amp module. THX AAA configuration is popular for such kind of "wire gain" with very low harmonic distortion. I think EQ should be a dedicated function of the source player. Q5S is an AMP/DAC. Almost all high end home amplifiers do not have tone controls build into them.

Jul 16, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #340 of 3,226
Most people prefer a hardware device which does not color the sound. FIIO follows that philosophy in this device too I guess. Hardware EQ would include components which would add or change native sound fed into the device. They emphasize that concept by giving us the option of AM3D amp module. THX AAA configuration is popular for such kind of "wire gain" with very low harmonic distortion. I think EQ should be a dedicated function of the source player. Q5S is an AMP/DAC. Almost all high end home amplifiers do not have tone controls build into them.
True that, but I can see a case for a hardware EQ, as it could be defeated to lower any possible (albeit likely tiny) influence on the sound quality. Still, I am very happy with the Q5/Q5s as is as all of my possible sources already provide access to really well implemented equalizers.

Jul 17, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #341 of 3,226
If hardware did not “color the sound”, then all DACs would be the same. Clearly this is not something ‘audiophiles’ hold true, per the variety in reviews: everyone is searching for their own flavor. Whether it be DAC, transducers, AMP (eg. tube rolling), tip rolling, cable rolling, etc.

An EQ is simply another (controllable) component, which can be disabled and/or adjusted. What difference does it make if it’s applied in HW “near” the DAC instead of before it’s sent over some transmission mechanism “to” the DAC?

Saying that EQ is not useful is, well, against many use cases. And saying that it has to be done in one place and not another is sort of silly.

Anyway, Q5 is hardly “high end” and just because something isn’t common doesn’t make it a worthwhile / useful / good thing. Enough have to challenge the status quo for it to change and .. it ALWAYS changes, only thing to determine is over what time and who are going to be the pioneers.

(Most “high end” stuff is disproportionately related to pretentiousness and marketing, and I digress.. it’s a good bit jewelry.)

Maybe I just have a brain that is critical of limitations, because instead of holding to the mentality of “that’s the way it’s been done” I like to think of many ways to improve devices (although I cannot come up with NEW devices). I am not the X and so I do not need to ‘defend’ X.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #342 of 3,226
World is colorful as sound and music is! Hence there is no one correct or fixed concept for all. Its diverse and colorful. So why not make the sound colorful!

Jul 17, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #343 of 3,226
Dude, the Q5 has no interface, you can't run anything on it, it is a hardware device. How would you install and interact with an equalizer through the Q5? I have no idea what you mean. It is not a DAP. Are you suggesting that built into the Q5 would be an equalizer that is exposed to the different possibly sources? I am not saying that is impossible (maybe it is) but it is certainly not common for such a device and I don't think that FiiO suggests the Q5 has this ability. And it is not a DAP at all, it is a hardware amp/DAC and it relies on a properly featured source.

I realise that the ES100 has built in hardware equalization ability, but the Q5 does not and I would personally prefer the flexibility of a software based eq, but I guess if people want this, perhaps it is a feature that FiiO will put into a future product. Sorry for misunderstanding your intent, my bad.

I do realize that the way the EQ is implemented in the ES100 allows for a great deal of flexibility so that kind of renders my point moot. Maybe I will become a fan of built in hardware equalizers.
The Monoprice portable THX amp/DAC has PEQ, Dirac, filters and more built into the amp and accessible through an onboard menu. I don’t see why the Q5s was built the way it is without access to it’s sound functions without an app. Some people want to use an amp like this one for portable use (as well) as an amp with a transport attached. That would have been my usage scenario.

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #344 of 3,226
The Monoprice portable THX amp/DAC has PEQ, Dirac, filters and more built into the amp and accessible through an onboard menu. I don’t see why the Q5s was built the way it is without access to it’s sound functions without an app. Some people want to use an amp like this one for portable use (as well) as an amp with a transport attached. That would have been my usage scenario.
Fair enough, but you have to pick your battles perhaps, and if I had to guess FiiO opted to spend their R&D on the rock solid DAC and amp implementation, in addition to the very competent Bluetooth. Is there more to be brought out? Perhaps, but regardless, FiiO produced an astounding, top-shelf sounding all in one, versatile device and for that they have my deepest respect. Yes, it isn't everything, but I think it is more than enough.

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #345 of 3,226
Hello , my thoughts were between M11 or Q5s ( when will be available in Europe).I make my decision with help from colegs on this forum , and il pick Q5S . M11 its just too much for my needs. I have Q5 with amp stock and its sound fabulous with FA7. For streaming , because i do not have everywere wi-fi Spotify , Qubuz i think il go with Q5S .Thanks for helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back