[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Jul 24, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #2,717 of 3,226
Q5s(THX-AAA AM3D) in Aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000415981973.html
1595575425838.png

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 24, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #2,718 of 3,226
Hey, I'm having problems with phone battery drain lately... I never had such problems in the past.
I suspect it started after I received the Android 10 update some months ago, but I'm not sure.
I use a Galaxy A50 connected with the FiiO CL06 cable to the Q5s.
I tried setting "Charge OFF" in the FiiO app, starting both my phone and the Q5s without cable connected and connecting afterwards, first the cable to the phone and then to the Q5s. In any case the phone battery drains heavily... listened to one album this morning so maybe an hour and a few minutes - the phone battery went from 50% to 15%... :frowning2:
Tried also a pin-reset on the Q5s. Nothing helps :frowning2:
Do you guys have such problems with Galaxy phones and Android 10?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #2,719 of 3,226
Dude, the Q5 has no interface, you can't run anything on it, it is a hardware device. How would you install and interact with an equalizer through the Q5? I have no idea what you mean. It is not a DAP. Are you suggesting that built into the Q5 would be an equalizer that is exposed to the different possibly sources? I am not saying that is impossible (maybe it is) but it is certainly not common for such a device and I don't think that FiiO suggests the Q5 has this ability. And it is not a DAP at all, it is a hardware amp/DAC and it relies on a properly featured source.

I realise that the ES100 has built in hardware equalization ability, but the Q5 does not and I would personally prefer the flexibility of a software based eq, but I guess if people want this, perhaps it is a feature that FiiO will put into a future product. Sorry for misunderstanding your intent, my bad.

I do realize that the way the EQ is implemented in the ES100 allows for a great deal of flexibility so that kind of renders my point moot. Maybe I will become a fan of built in hardware equalizers.
You realize ES100 also has “no interface” yet supports this request just fine..?

Aug 5, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #2,720 of 3,226
Aug 5, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #2,721 of 3,226
Good.

Anyway, in mid-2020 the Q5s + “FiiO Control” App (iOS 13.5.2, FiiO Control 1.0.3) is able to connect and allows adjusting the EQ on the device itself.

HOWEVER, the EQ state (on/off or map selection) and custom map settings (of which there can only be one) are NOT RETAINED when the Q5s is powered off making it a largely WORTHLESS implementation.

50/100 for an attempt. Maybe hire someone from EarStudio to fix/polish the delivery.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #2,723 of 3,226
Would be curious to see FiiO's response to that technological review.

Aug 6, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #2,724 of 3,226
My ear didn't lie to me but the q5s is really good with bluetooth

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #2,726 of 3,226
Well, it certainly does sound good, subjectively speaking, but based on those measurements technically there are clearly some significant issues. You can have engineering issues that do not rise to audibility that nonetheless should not happen. There are devices that cost hundreds less than the Q5s/AM3D combination that have measured better. That does not always mean they will sound better, but really something that measures well is not very likely to sound poor.

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #2,727 of 3,226
There are devices that cost hundreds less than the Q5s/AM3D combination that have measured better. That does not always mean they will sound better, but really something that measures well is not very likely to sound poor.
How dare you state facts questioning a purchased product! :)

(The nicest thing of the Q5s over some competitors is the hefty case and volume knob, which is MY reason for using it.. battery? nope. power? nope. features/usable EQ? definitely nope. sound? unless you can blind AB ..)

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #2,728 of 3,226
Would be curious to see FiiO's response to that technological review.

I too think @FiiO should respond to this.
The fact that it sounds "good" is certainly subjective, measurements don't lie and it is sad and frustrating to know that you paid for a shiny polished tin can that is apparently rotten on the inside... I don't know at what volume or in what conditions that distortion is audible but that doesn't matter. The product should measure the same as others in the same price category. So what happened?

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #2,729 of 3,226
@FiiO ... I don't know at what volume or in what conditions that distortion is audible but that doesn't matter. The product should measure the same as others in the same price category. So what happened?
Indeed, we all would like to know that.

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #2,730 of 3,226
Of course they measure the volume that measures the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back