[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
May 29, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #196 of 3,226
Hi folks,

I used to listen through my notebook->dac->head amp->Sennheiser HD650 but I had to sell everything (except for the notebook).

I understand that I could use the Q5S with my notebook as a source; could I use my Android phone as a source (via USB connection)?
Would the Q5S be powerful enough to drive the Sennheiser HD660S (4.4 mm balanced)?
Easily. The 660s isn't that hard to drive. If my humble fiio btr3 can push my focal clear, the Q5S balanced would have the easiest of times.

May 29, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #197 of 3,226
yep, definitely a nice idea my friend, thanks!

the main problem I have with the M6 is that I’m afraid it’s toooo sloooow, I read some reviews or comments saying it works extremely laggy... however I would say that using it via Airplay could solve the problem...
another thing you said here and I wanted to ask (although maybe this is not the place...) which one is better, Fiio M6 or Hiby R3?

M9 is another option since I am interested in using the balanced output...

and yep, the FA7 IEMS will come home at some point soon haha
The M9 is a great option. Solid UI, decent speed and most importantly very good sound. It is a little more toward smooth than the Q5, as I hear them and I have both on hand, but very enjoyable. I was even able to use the M9 with an HD700 through the balanced out of the M9 and it sounded great. As an aside, after some very modest equalization tweaks I find the much maligned HD700 actually sounds very good. I certainly did not expect that after reading so much negative about it.

May 30, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #198 of 3,226
The M9 is a great option. Solid UI, decent speed and most importantly very good sound. It is a little more toward smooth than the Q5, as I hear them and I have both on hand, but very enjoyable. I was even able to use the M9 with an HD700 through the balanced out of the M9 and it sounded great. As an aside, after some very modest equalization tweaks I find the much maligned HD700 actually sounds very good. I certainly did not expect that after reading so much negative about it.
Hey, I'm looking to buy a q5s for my hd660s. Do u think there's ample power in the q5 for ur hd700 running balanced?

May 30, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #199 of 3,226
Hey, I'm looking to buy a q5s for my hd660s. Do u think there's ample power in the q5 for ur hd700 running balanced?
Absolutely. I like playback levels louder than anybody I know and my Q5 is on low gain and via the balanced in the HD700 sounds perfectly driven to me mate.

May 31, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #201 of 3,226
Perfect! Thanx man. :)
No worries. I am finding the HD700 to be far more enjoyable than I thought (with a little equalizing) and the Q5 is totally up to the task. If you go this route I would love to hear your impressions.

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #205 of 3,226
This is normal in my experience with FiiO, and all companies really. They won't publicly commit to a date as there are likely things they need to get in line before doing so. Saying this, I have noticed that FiiO is getting more and more organized and professional and when they say within such a date we will provide news, updates, a new product etc, they generally hold to the period of time. I just purchased the AM3D amp module for my Q5 and it was the same thing, an announcement of an expected availability window, no further detailed release date, but the AM3D was indeed released within the time window FiiO had suggested so if FiiO have given a time window for the Q5s release, experience suggests they will meet it.

Jun 2, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #206 of 3,226
I have asked this question elsewhere before but I would like to ask again here. Is the new DAC chip in the Q5s a significant improvement over the chip that is in my Q5? The last opinion that I got said no. As a result I decided that an Amp module upgrade would be the best way to go. I wanted the 4.4 mm connector and the THX comparison graph looked liked an improvement. These may not be good reasons to make the change but it doesn't matter now. My AM3D will be delvivered in two days. Admittedly my hopes for an improvement have been dampened a bit by posts that suggest that there may not be much if any improvement over the amp module that I have now.

Jun 2, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #207 of 3,226
I have asked this question elsewhere before but I would like to ask again here. Is the new DAC chip in the Q5s a significant improvement over the chip that is in my Q5? The last opinion that I got said no. As a result I decided that an Amp module upgrade would be the best way to go. I wanted the 4.4 mm connector and the THX comparison graph looked liked an improvement. These may not be good reasons to make the change but it doesn't matter now. My AM3D will be delvivered in two days. Admittedly my hopes for an improvement have been dampened a bit by posts that suggest that there may not be much if any improvement over the amp module that I have now.
I personally bought the AM3D for the increased power, and frankly out of curiosity, but I am not expecting significant improvement, just the usual great sound with more power and a new 4.4mm input which is likely more robust than the 2.5mm.

Jun 2, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #209 of 3,226
Would pairing this with M11, can be used with hd 800S?

i would also like to use this AMP/DAC for my PC,

as id like to use it for home and on the go
I have tested with the HD700 out of the balanced circuit and on low gain it gets plenty loud and seems to control the drivers exceptionally well. Now the 800S is a tougher load so it may require a different amp module but perhaps others with direct experience there can speak to this. Why would you use the M11 as a transport? I would think any decent smartphone would do (with USB audio which is super common now) but if you wanted the M11 anyway of course it would be a great transport. Curious as to what others think, personally I would just use a phone which I do frequently or my laptop as a source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back