[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
May 26, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #181 of 3,226
May 26, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #182 of 3,226
Can anyone please convince me that the AM3D is not a worthy upgrade to the AM3A so that I save some money?
What doesn't the AM3A do that you need it to do? The vast majority of specifications are all at the level of audible transparency so you should only hear a difference if FiiO deliberately introduced an audible signature difference or if the AM3A wasn't able to properly drive something.

May 27, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #183 of 3,226
What doesn't the AM3A do that you need it to do? The vast majority of specifications are all at the level of audible transparency so you should only hear a difference if FiiO deliberately introduced an audible signature difference or if the AM3A wasn't able to properly drive something.

Pretty much none, or at least nothing major that I'm aware of. I was just reading the thread and noticed people's excitement on 'upgrading' to the AM3D and, since I know nothing about 'THX AAA', I wonder if it would actually make my q5 sound better in any way.

Most of the time I pair the Q5 with ATH-IM04 through the 2.5mm trrs and by far Im happy with it. I use it with AKG K7XX occasionally and when I do I feel a lack of separation and sharpness in its image so it would be a nice plus if this can be improved, although not very important because this isn't something that I do everyday.

I also am planing on getting a pair of xelento/n5005 so if either of these amp module synergies particularly good or bad with them that would be nice to know too.

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #184 of 3,226
Pretty much none, or at least nothing major that I'm aware of. I was just reading the thread and noticed people's excitement on 'upgrading' to the AM3D and, since I know nothing about 'THX AAA', I wonder if it would actually make my q5 sound better in any way.

Most of the time I pair the Q5 with ATH-IM04 through the 2.5mm trrs and by far Im happy with it. I use it with AKG K7XX occasionally and when I do I feel a lack of separation and sharpness in its image so it would be a nice plus if this can be improved, although not very important because this isn't something that I do everyday.

I also am planing on getting a pair of xelento/n5005 so if either of these amp module synergies particularly good or bad with them that would be nice to know too.

Using my N5005 with the AM3A module and freaking love this combo! So no problems there!

May 27, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #188 of 3,226
Anybody got any idea when this will be readily available? Especially in the US?
Well, last info we got was about late June. Initially it was late May, though, so it's probably not set in stone. I'm hoping for an early June release.

May 28, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #189 of 3,226
Ideal usage of M11 and Q5/Q5s as following;

1. Older Q5 and M11 - Please connect M11 with Line Out to Q5 Line In mode else you will not able to use M11’s full potential...any other mode will bypass M11’s Internal DAC which you just paid for your hard earned money.

2. Newer Q5s and any other DAP (example X5-2, X5-3) - Please connect any Digital output to Q5s Digital Input such as USB/Optical/Coax/BT so that you can use the full potential of the Q5s Internal DAC which you just paid for you hard earned money.

3. M11 and Q5s - Please Stop ! Don’t Buy both and combined them, you will be wasting your money. If you can’t resist the temptation of the Fiio’s Android offering and changeable Modular Amp ideas, you need wait little bit more for M15 or something which is X7-mk2 upgrade coming later.

That's good that mentioned that regarding the stacking combo, i had plans to buy the Q5s but then i heard about the M15 the successor of X7mk2 but~ i had plan to do the following buy q5s and stack with x7mk2 and after reading your post then it dawned on me that it will be a waste of money- and ill be thanking you for that :) however, the urge of buying q5s grew probably buying it for the bluetooth purpose then again we got the m5 with 2way bluetooth which is awesome!
It come to realisation i just need to grab the m5 and the am3d module.
Is the am3d good with x7mk2?

May 28, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #191 of 3,226
My problem as a newbie is that I do not have a clear idea about the components needed for a nice set up everywhere. Obviously I want the best audio quality at home and on vacation (let's say lying on a lounger next to a pool without wifi) and I assumed that I could use M11 for offline playback on the go but also connected to my laptop (as a usb dac) or to my speakers (as an amp) at home... but again, I just bought my first Hi-Res headphones (entry-level, ATH-MSR7b) and not sure what the next step should be... :grin:
Ok I'm going to chime in.

Get Massdrop sennheiser hd58x open back headphones and the higher end iem like fh5, fh7 of my choice the fa7's.
The fiio q5s and the Source, fiio m6 or the hiby r3, small is better than bigger for travel and every day, real LIFE.

A winning combination for me.

Yes you could spend large amounts of $$$ and get the opus#2 or something of that caliber but its big and heavy. Or even $2,000. IEM's It may have a better graph BUT you probably cant/won't hear it!

Smaller and lighter is better for the long game. And the sound will be Wonderful.

Save the cash and travel.

Just a friends opinion.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #192 of 3,226
Ok I'm going to chime in.

Get Massdrop sennheiser hd58x open back headphones and the higher end iem like fh5, fh7 of my choice the fa7's.
The fiio q5s and the Source, fiio m6 or the hiby r3, small is better than bigger for travel and every day, real LIFE.

A winning combination for me.

Yes you could spend large amounts of $$$ and get the opus#2 or something of that caliber but its big and heavy. Or even $2,000. IEM's It may have a better graph BUT you probably cant/won't hear it!

Smaller and lighter is better for the long game. And the sound will be Wonderful.

Save the cash and travel.

Just a friends opinion.

yep, definitely a nice idea my friend, thanks!

the main problem I have with the M6 is that I’m afraid it’s toooo sloooow, I read some reviews or comments saying it works extremely laggy... however I would say that using it via Airplay could solve the problem...
another thing you said here and I wanted to ask (although maybe this is not the place...) which one is better, Fiio M6 or Hiby R3?

M9 is another option since I am interested in using the balanced output...

and yep, the FA7 IEMS will come home at some point soon haha

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #193 of 3,226
Hi folks,

I used to listen through my notebook->dac->head amp->Sennheiser HD650 but I had to sell everything (except for the notebook).

I understand that I could use the Q5S with my notebook as a source; could I use my Android phone as a source (via USB connection)?
Would the Q5S be powerful enough to drive the Sennheiser HD660S (4.4 mm balanced)?

May 29, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #194 of 3,226

the main problem I have with the M6 is that I’m afraid it’s toooo sloooow, I read some reviews or comments saying it works extremely laggy... however I would say that using it via Airplay could solve the problem...
another thing you said here and I wanted to ask (although maybe this is not the place...) which one is better, Fiio M6 or Hiby R3?

I don't know what there saying about load speed, I do know for online music apps there is some lag loading from a fresh start up.
But it not that bad in real world use. At least not for me, what's 30-50sec worth to me?? Dont care. As for m6 or r3 about the same but fiio has better customer service in my opinion.
But both will get the job done well.

As for balanced out, the q5s has both 2.5 and 4.4. Do you need to pay for it, twice??? That's up to you my friend.
6 of 1, half a dozen of another, just remember the m9 is bigger and double the price.

What ever you choose to do you on the right track now.

Your call in that one.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #195 of 3,226

Buy the m6 and try it, if you don't like it just return it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back