[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Oct 3, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #1,968 of 3,226
Where did you get it from, and what's the difference in the new firmware?
0.32 is buggy, it has reversed channels when playing DSD. You should upgrade to 0.37 or wait some time when Fiio will release some newer one (Fiio promissed this some weeks ago).
But read here comments about upgrading some pages back - also upgrading has some problems and workaround for them.

Oct 3, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #1,969 of 3,226
hi, can somebody confirm if Q5s is working fine with Samsung s10 plus with Bluetooth.
As samsung s10 plus has issues over usb connection want to confirm before buying.

Oct 3, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #1,970 of 3,226
@hoekeat
To change bluetooth codecs, you need to go into developer settings. In the Fiio app, you can enable and disable codecs. Whatever you have active in there (Be it just one or all of them) is just available to use. But to change the codec that's actively used, you have to go into developer settings on your phone (You have to have the codec enabled in the app first, though!). So try this. Reset your Q5s, pair it with your phone, check with the Fiio app that the codecs you want to use are ticked on (or just leave them all enabled, as it is by default), then exit the Fiio app (if you change anything, restart your Q5s just to be sure), go to your phone settings, under developer settings and find the option for the bluetooth codec. There, among others, you should have LDAC. Choose it, see if it works. It should just cut off for a second, then come back on with LDAC active. If not, then I don't know what's up.

To make things clear though, this is probably not Fiio's fault. Android's audio stack is a mess. Always has been. If it's anything but headphones plugged directly into your phone, you may get weird behavior. But it's an Android thing most of the time, and how it handles bluetooth codec selection is no exception. For example, my OnePlus 3 defaults to LDAC 32/96 for whatever reason (thought LDAC's maximum bit depth was 24?). Sometimes, however, I may get crackling and heavy stuttering. If I turn bluetooth off and on again, it's a flip of a coin whether it will default to LDAC again or go to SBC, but even if it's the latter and I manually switch to LDAC, it will work no problems after that. I also can't get it to default to 24/96. Android is weird like that. I hope Google sorts things out because it's frustrating to use sometimes.

Yes, I hate Android not sticking to whatever I set in Developer Options. Maybe @FiiO can make an extended config section for the Bluetooth codecs in the Q5s app page where you can set sample rate and bit rate for every supported codec and make them stick and not be lost on next BT connect. If I'm listening to 16bit / 44.1 Hz content using LDAC or aptX HD I don't want it to be upsampled. I noticed that when I manually set the correct bit and sample rate there are less cut-offs, audio is more stable because less data is transferred. But I always have to set the correct values in Dev Options... It is easier to default to aptX and forget about Dev Options.

And as I suggested some time ago, I think that Q5 / Q5s should have a separate app for settings, not included in a music player (Fiio Music). For the reasons expressed here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-0beta-is-now-available.881364/#post-14286204

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #1,971 of 3,226
hi, can somebody confirm if Q5s is working fine with Samsung s10 plus with Bluetooth.
As samsung s10 plus has issues over usb connection want to confirm before buying.
Bluetooth works great on s10 and usb too if you use the fiio otg cable that you have to buy separate

Oct 4, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #1,974 of 3,226
@FiiO
First off, thanks for taking the actual time to reply to us here in the forums. It really shows that you guys care about the customer, even if you can't always make everyone happy. Just wanted to say this.

Secondly, I had some ideas about improving the usability of the Q5s. Small quality of life things that would go a long way, mostly related to its charging behavior. Don't know if any of these are at all possible, but most don't seem too outlandish for a firmware update.
- Give us the option to disable/enable charging in the Fiio driver app on Windows. Many people use their Q5s with their PCs, and having it charge or having to use optical in all the time isn't the best experience.
- Since I never really understood why you guys didn't use the same system that was on the Q1, that just had a switch for toggling charging on and off, I'd maybe look into the ability to reprogramm the bass boost switch to charging on/off. Or even maybe do it like a "long press the next track button", or "hold the previous track button and press the next track button after". Something like that would be great and would eliminate all charging woes.
- As others have already said, making the equalizer in the Fiio app system wide would be great. I don't really use it all that much, but I like adding bass when watching movies, or I like adding mids to songs that aren't well mixed and have overpowered vocals. Also, if possible, maybe add more functionality to it? Like, more bands or a parametric EQ? Like, maybe have the current one and then an option for an "Advanced EQ".
- Give us the option to customize the RGB light. Maybe let us pick which color corresponds to what. But more importantly, let us change the brightness of the LEDs and the blinking/breathing behavior. I'd much rather have a fainter, static light than a pulsating bright one in the night. Having it off kind of works, but then I don't realize right away when my phone switches to SBC for whatever reason and have to realize that something doesn't sound right.

There's a lot of small tweaks that I suppose would be possible to be made, that would improve the Q5s in meaningful ways. The design, sound quality and features are bang on amazing on this device IMO, but it has some quirks that make it a chore to use sometimes. I'm ok with it, but other people are not and sales are lost because of it. And it's really a shame.

Cheers! :beerchug:

Oct 4, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #1,975 of 3,226
How do we upgrade the firmware on the Q5s? I'm running .32 and I have been looking all over for the update and how to actually do it. I can only find the info on the Q5

Oct 4, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #1,978 of 3,226
This combination really brings the BEST out of Tin Hifi P1 the planar.

The problem though. It’s drawing A LOT of power from the AP80. I only played a few songs for 20 min and there’s only 72% left on the AP80! I’m sure it’s not the fiio because it didn’t lose much power. I should post this on AP80 thread as well
Sweet portable setup - what MMCX cable is that? Looks like a perfect match for the P1!

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #1,980 of 3,226
There are many posts in this thread about back charging. I never saw any response or suggestion from @FiiO about this. May I miss anything?
I want to use Q5s as PC DAC only. If @FiiO can't solve this problem, I will not buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back