FiiO Q5S Impressions and discussion thread
Nov 29, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #31 of 47
does anyone know if the EQ for the Q5s through the Fiio music app only works with music played through the fiio music app? Or is it a system wide thing?
Like for the Earstudio ES100, the EQ can be saved to the device and will apply the eq to the USB or Bluetooth input.

Have the same question here,
Im enjoying an es100 + shure se846, and have to say that i absolutely love the EQ in the es100. im just boosting the 31hz +5db and 63Hz +2, never interfere with the overall sound, and if the song ask for it, the se846 gives a super nice and punchy rumble.
That said, im looking into the Q5s with THX amp, but I NEED to know how the EQ is implemented.
One of my fav things is the ability to eq EVERYTHING that the ES100 outputs, no matter the player, source, etc. Its the same if i connect it as a usb dac in my mac or pc, or play from samsung music player or spotify. It the same EQ and everything sounds as i want

Is anybody knows how it works in the Q5 or Q5s?
Thanks in advanced guys!

Dec 4, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #32 of 47
What I find disturbing is that there is no replaceable battery. You can replace the amp modules by unscrewing two opposing screws and removing/replacing the amp module - not unlike one of those old 1980s video game cartridges.

However the battery - well you're stuck with it and if all that heat eventually kills the battery (as it always does with smartphones) you can't even power it from USB 5V source as you would assume or expect so...so the answer is...ker-ching...buy a new amp LOL nah :wink:

These things obviously are not designed for any serious longevity. It's a shame because with a user-replaceable battery these things could last for 15-20 years or longer. With the current design you would be lucky to get 5 years out of it with daily use.

Here in Australia they are like $500+ each. Without a replaceable battery frankly these are a waste of money - as is really any amp without user replaceable batteries.

These are headphone amplifiers not bloody smartphones.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #33 of 47
What I find disturbing is that there is no replaceable battery. You can replace the amp modules by unscrewing two opposing screws and removing/replacing the amp module - not unlike one of those old 1980s video game cartridges.

However the battery - well you're stuck with it and if all that heat eventually kills the battery (as it always does with smartphones) you can't even power it from USB 5V source as you would assume or expect so...so the answer is...ker-ching...buy a new amp LOL nah :wink:

These things obviously are not designed for any serious longevity. It's a shame because with a user-replaceable battery these things could last for 15-20 years or longer. With the current design you would be lucky to get 5 years out of it with daily use.

Here in Australia they are like $500+ each. Without a replaceable battery frankly these are a waste of money - as is really any amp without user replaceable batteries.

These are headphone amplifiers not bloody smartphones.
I have the older q5 and when in use I power it with a anker powercore 26800 mah battery; this first generation q5 has two usb ports whilw the newer q5a has only a single usb.

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #34 of 47
Yes but unfortunately I ordered the newer Q5S model and no the earlier Q5 which is supposed to sound even better than the Q5s...the only thing I will lose is the Bluetooth 5.0 spec codecs so no AptXHD or LDAC and would only be able to use AAC and regular AptX.

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #35 of 47
Yes but unfortunately I ordered the newer Q5S model and no the earlier Q5 which is supposed to sound even better than the Q5s...the only thing I will lose is the Bluetooth 5.0 spec codecs so no AptXHD or LDAC and would only be able to use AAC and regular AptX.
I am unsure which may be better, but the older q5 is still available at much lower price than when released. For some it may be a bargain at little loss if any than the newer q5s.

Mar 6, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #37 of 47
Has anyone a chance to compare Q5 with Q5s in USB mode? I am sure the bluetooth will sound better in Q5s, but with the same USB connection, do you think it's worth the upgrade?
I have owned both (I actually had 2 Q5s' for a while) and I was able to do extensive A/B listening. I also was fortunate enough to have two AM3D THX amp modules, along with the AM3, AM3A and AM3E modules. While the Bluetooth connection on the Q5s has a lower noise, blacker background, it is not dramatic at all. While connected via USB, the differences are very subtle. The bass impact on the Q5s seems ever so slightly less, but that might be because the mids on the Q5s are slightly more forward. To me the biggest upgrade to be had on any Q5, is if you go from a AM3 or AM2 etc to the AM3D THX module. The AM3D is far superior to those earlier modules. However, the difference between the AM3D and the AM3E is very subtle. Here I think the AM3D is just ever so slightly warmer in the highs. I am very sensitive to highs, so I noticed right away, but only during A/B testing. Otherwise, both AM3D & AM3E are amazing. So if you already have the Q5 with one of the earlier modules, I would say the best thing to do is get your hands on a AM3D module.

Mar 6, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #38 of 47
I have owned both (I actually had 2 Q5s' for a while) and I was able to do extensive A/B listening. I also was fortunate enough to have two AM3D THX amp modules, along with the AM3, AM3A and AM3E modules. While the Bluetooth connection on the Q5s has a lower noise, blacker background, it is not dramatic at all. While connected via USB, the differences are very subtle. The bass impact on the Q5s seems ever so slightly less, but that might be because the mids on the Q5s are slightly more forward. To me the biggest upgrade to be had on any Q5, is if you go from a AM3 or AM2 etc to the AM3D THX module. The AM3D is far superior to those earlier modules. However, the difference between the AM3D and the AM3E is very subtle. Here I think the AM3D is just ever so slightly warmer in the highs. I am very sensitive to highs, so I noticed right away, but only during A/B testing. Otherwise, both AM3D & AM3E are amazing. So if you already have the Q5 with one of the earlier modules, I would say the best thing to do is get your hands on a AM3D module.
As I have posted numerous times before I have been waiting on an am3b since December 2018 and an am3d since fiio released them and I am still waiting.

I prefer the q5 for the reason it has two usb ports. I use the side usb port to supply power via anker 26,800mah battery which keeps the q5 running cooler.

Mar 10, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #39 of 47
Q5s is my first portable DAC/AMP and to be honest i regret buying it. I barely notice the improovemnt in music and build quality could be better i think. The volume knob is slightly offset downwards in its slot, the amp module is also offset and shakes a little, next track button also became loose after a week or two.

Mar 10, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #40 of 47
Q5s is my first portable DAC/AMP and to be honest i regret buying it. I barely notice the improovemnt in music and build quality could be better i think. The volume knob is slightly offset downwards in its slot, the amp module is also offset and shakes a little, next track button also became loose after a week or two.

Possibly faulty? Might be worth trying to get it repaired under warranty.

The build quality on my one is pretty good. Although my battery life is terrible. Tried the pinhole reboot a couple of times but still the same unfortunately.

Sound quality is very good though :)

Mar 13, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #42 of 47
A reason why fiio am3b or am3d are no longer available may be due to production and shipping problems.

'...A new report by corporate data analytics firm Dun & Bradstreet calculates that some 51,000 companies around the world have one or more direct suppliers in Wuhan, the epicenter of the virus. At least 5 million companies globally have one or more tier-two suppliers in the region, meaning that their suppliers get their supplies there; and 938 of the Fortune 1,000 companies have tier-one or tier-two suppliers there. Moreover, fully 80% of U.S. pharmaceuticals are made in China. A break in the supply chain can grind businesses to a halt.'

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-feds-baffling-response-to-the-coronavirus-explained/

It would be in fiio's interest to explain to at least people on this forum the problem myself and others may be having in obtaining fiio products.

Sep 30, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #43 of 47
Have the same question here,
Im enjoying an es100 + shure se846, and have to say that i absolutely love the EQ in the es100. im just boosting the 31hz +5db and 63Hz +2, never interfere with the overall sound, and if the song ask for it, the se846 gives a super nice and punchy rumble.
That said, im looking into the Q5s with THX amp, but I NEED to know how the EQ is implemented.
One of my fav things is the ability to eq EVERYTHING that the ES100 outputs, no matter the player, source, etc. Its the same if i connect it as a usb dac in my mac or pc, or play from samsung music player or spotify. It the same EQ and everything sounds as i want

Is anybody knows how it works in the Q5 or Q5s?
Thanks in advanced guys!

Looking at the Q5s myslef...and been searching for the answer to this question.

I have a BTR3 and its EQ works in BT and DAC mode. (the "better" BTR5 model, the EQ does NOT function in USB mode)
I also have a Alpen 2 E17K which is my DAC for my fullsized Vmoda headphones, it has simple Bass, Treble adjust with its LCD screen.
If only they have made a newer/better version of the E17K, cause having on board digital steps to adjust both Bass and Treble on the fly, is what i want.

Oct 1, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #45 of 47
Well, now having the Qudelix 5K, have to say that the PEQ works pretty nice and flawlessly. Hope to fiio upscale their future amps

I had stumbled across that DAC on Amazon while looking at options....good to know the EQ is that good.
I think that woudl be more of an upgrade to the BTR3 and for sure better than the BTR5, just by looking at specs.
And far more sane a price tag too.

If only Fiio had made a newer/upgrade to the awesome E17K DAC.
The onboard on the fly adjustments is what i want.
Sure, it does not have a EQ, but that does not mean u can't make a better version that has onboard adjustments, along with can connect to the Control app.
I have tried to find other USB dacs, but all i see in Fiios line up is DACs that only have Bass Boost switch, that adds a hard set db boost, often 5 to 9db. that is often way to much at times, with the E17K i can adjust bass and treble from -10 to +10, directly on the DAC.
(I just recently tried a Fosi Audio DAC-Q4 which has bass/treble knobs, but its bass is more tuned for mid to high bass range, and makes the overal sound muddy and a tad hollow feeling.)

My BTR3 is used in USB mode and its EQ is tuned to use on one single specific pair of in ears, since it is not possible to on the fly change the EQ...that the major disadvantage I am finding for these smartphone controlled DACs,...u have to pair the dac via BT to a phone, load up the app, and manually change the EQ each time u want to use a different set of headphones.
Fiio does not even have saved custom presets option in the app. it is only just one Custom, that u have no option to "save" so that when u do mess with it, u can not revert it back to your saved settings.

Since I use Poweramp app to play my high res music, its EQ and profiles can not be beat.
I only want the DACs EQ on when i am not using PowerAmp for my music, but when i am watching videos in streaming apps, and such things and apps that do not have any EQ ability.
That is why i have my set EQ tweaked BTR3 only for use with my in ears and only use it on my Nvidia Shield TV for movies and tv.
It is not powerful enough to drive my full sized, so if i really want to use those, i connect my E17K.
However, i can't use full sized headphones for more than 15 min or so, due to the compression pressure, and the heat build up in my ears, they get very uncomfortable, so its in ear use for long things.

I really do not care about Bluetooth anymore. I had swore by LDAC for ages and used my BTR3 on LDAC for good time(as well as a few sets of Sony LDAC headphones), but when Nvidia broke LDAC with an update to the Shield, and took nearly a year to fix it, i was forced to wire up things for USB DAC mode, and my god, i will never go back. quite the difference in quality wired vs BT. But i do read that there are some new BT audio codecs in the works, that may greatly boost the quality of wireless audio transmission abilities..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back