FiiO Q5S Impressions and discussion thread
Oct 10, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #46 of 47
Looking at the Q5s myslef...and been searching for the answer to this question.

I have a BTR3 and its EQ works in BT and DAC mode. (the "better" BTR5 model, the EQ does NOT function in USB mode)
I also have a Alpen 2 E17K which is my DAC for my fullsized Vmoda headphones, it has simple Bass, Treble adjust with its LCD screen.
If only they have made a newer/better version of the E17K, cause having on board digital steps to adjust both Bass and Treble on the fly, is what i want.

To answer yours and Marco question, yes the EQ settings are saved on the amp and you get your EQ'd sound thru any source. I set settings on my LGv30 Fiio app then played music thru UAPP; settings stuck. Then thru Tidal bluetooth on same phone, settings same. Then switched to iPhone and played tidal thru BT, settings same. I then went into the FIIO app on the iPhone and saw the EQ was set to the same wild settings (for testing purposes) that I had done on the Android so its clear the settings on are on the amp.

Jun 26, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #47 of 47
Love the device. My battery died this month and turned into a spicy pillow. Great device. I will never get portable amp / DAC combos without a battery cut-off feature, since these do not turn on at all. Maybe it is a pre USB-C thing (in the smartphone realm and similar devices), since some gadgets can work off USB power.

Now my stack is a Sony MDz R50 Minidisc player running in record-mode paused to my Topping A90. Maybe I get finally the D90 for €650 (before 1000 bucks on Amazon) or finally go to the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Maybe I get an old Sony AMP DAC HIFI. These go from 100 to €600, and it seems models from 1990 to 2001 are well-made and offer Toslink, my favourite old cable after VGA.

The FiiO Q5s offers a not-too-sharp audio reproduction over Toslink and USB, as we all know. Line Out is unusablely bad and this device made me finally get out of the bad audio chain era. My old PC could not even do proper USB audio out with no wrong audio processing and also used it for older console gaming as an audio device till my current PC offered good Line-In.

I looked for some batteries, but I will not get a random AliExpress battery, and then suddenly find out it is a spicy pillow earlier than expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back