[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 14, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #1,351 of 3,226
I would really return the unit, clearly there was some kind of production issue to result in sharp edges. I know that the outermost knurled section on the volume wheel felt a little sharper than I feel it should, but it did not approach a level where I felt it was truly a production error or problematic. If it did I would have returned it. I felt the original Q5 was so very well made and a pleasure to handle in every respect.

Mine is a bit sharp on the right side where it's squared off from one finish to another. But it doesn't bug me at all as my hands or fingers don't really come in contact with that edge much. The outer edges are smooth.

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #1,352 of 3,226
No, it will have a common ground, you need a 4.4 grounded cable or a 2.5 grounded cable. You can use a 4.4 male to 2.5 female adapter for a 2.5 grounded cable.

Don't use any 4.4 to 3.5 adapter , because your 3.5 only has one ground and could short it out.
Oic. Thks for the explanation.

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #1,353 of 3,226
I second the opinion that the mojo is great sounding but the q5s has a more neutral- more treble-ish presentation. So I'd think the q5s would be a nice change of pace.

Bun E Carlos and Gang :)

Sounds great on Q5s

Sound great! Thanks guys for the inputs. Is the treble on Q5s harsh by any means? My ears do not react well to bright sound signature. After further reading, I am tempted to order a Q5s now. The mojo is great, but would be logistically inconvenient (all my cables are 4.4mm now so the use of a 4.4 to 3.5 adapter is required).

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #1,354 of 3,226
LDAC on Galaxy S10, the Q5s LED pulsates white.

The edges on my unit are also very sharp, but I don't think it will cut me (I do have delicate hands actually) or damage any cables. To me is an issue with aesthetics as the edges will no doubt scuff and scratch due to use in no time and will not look as nice.

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #1,355 of 3,226
Screenshot_20190815-121521_Gallery.jpg
Mine is a bit sharp on the right side where it's squared off from one finish to another. But it doesn't bug me at all as my hands or fingers don't really come in contact with that edge much. The outer edges are smooth.

Ya the circled part is sharp. But i am not touching there. No issue for me. But to be safe..get a case to cover it.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #1,357 of 3,226
Now some info about Line-out output. I don't know how many people use it but I will use it also as a DAC for my home mini PC system with higher level amp and speakers with Foobar2000 and lot of hires,DSD,SACD records. I used this way also Q1mkII.

Q1mkII had much lower output level and you had to set level knob to max. Probably level was set in dac chip.
Q5s has fixed output level and it is according to norm - almost in line with other devices. That is good. Real line out.

As for the sound quality - more clean and detailed then line out in Q1. I compared also with my bluray player OPPO BDP-85SE (some higher level ESS Sabre DAC, 2-3x more expensive) by connecting SPDIF coax output with coax adapter to Q5s. OPPO SE output and Q5s line out were connected to the same amplifier so inputs could be switched during playback. Playing some 24/96 and 24/192 DVD Audio. Trebles and bass seem to be exactly the same, middle was recessed in Q5s, not subtle, a lot, it was immediately heard. Q5s seem to be V shaped comparing to OPPO BDP. Question is what is correct. I would say OPPO...

Another findings:
Battery level - BTR3 reported its battery level by bluetooth to Android application for instance BatON. Q5s does not report it, it is a pity. Would be good to add this functionality in next firmware if it is possible from HW point of view.
And charging - maximum charging current was around 1.2 A from good charger. When connected to phone with ML06 cable where was no charging from phone. When connected to PC - charging even if charging is switched off. Bug or feature? Fiio, please tell us. If feature then this sw switch has no sense. ML06 is done by hw design the way no charging occurs. Maybe OTG micro on Q5s will disable charging by hw, I will try it.
Interference - When Q1mkII was stacked with phone and you streamed by mobile data (not wiifi) there was strong interference static heard in headphones mostly in right channel. With Q5s nothing like that. Good. Question is if is is good idea to stack metal amp near antenna as a shield for mobile signal. With stacking there is much more heating during streaming, phone works like microwave oven. It seems also it drains more battery. Playing from sd card is no problem.

Aug 15, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #1,358 of 3,226
Sending AM3D back. It was such a disappointment to have issues within few minutes of operation.

Aug 15, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #1,360 of 3,226
I owned the Mojo, really liked it, but if the DAP is already warmish the Q5s, which is to my ears less warm than both the Q5 and Mojo, might be the better fit.
So between the Q5 with stock AM3A module and Q5s with stock AM3E module, do you (or others) find a difference in sound signature?
I'm curious about this because until now comparisons were mostly made between the AM3E and AM3D, but what about the old Q5 and the new one with their stock amps?

Aug 15, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #1,361 of 3,226
I wish you to replace it only once. After I bought Q1mkII 1 channel stopped playing. Replacement did not work even from beginning. 3rd piece is working now for 2 years. My dealer could not believe this is possible.

Aug 15, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #1,362 of 3,226
If you want to listen to something cool with your new shiny toys, I recommend "Matmos - Plastic Anniversary". They do mostly sound design, worked a lot with Bjork. The album is amazing for sound experience, stereo spatiality, imaging.
Also give a try to Yosi Horikawa albums.

Aug 15, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #1,363 of 3,226
Hey, did you ever get the USB out to work with the Q5s? Mines working with fiio and neutron properly. I don't think I changed any settings but I did install uapp which might of loaded a driver. But it outputs properly on all 3 music apps. I like them all for different reasons.

I don't think fiio or neutron were working properly before I installed uapp. I know neutron wasn't and I'm pretty sure the fiio app wasn't either.

How did you install uapp? Couldnt find on google.

Aug 15, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #1,364 of 3,226
Aug 15, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #1,365 of 3,226

Users who are viewing this thread

Back