[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 14, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #1,321 of 3,226
Try these settings on the top slide down menu. Fist hit the fiio Q5 button with the 2 square, circle and little headphone ikon.

Next hit the connected device settings button

Then select ldac on the next screen - bottom pic. If you have ldac in developer settings it should work

Got it done! Thank you very much! FIIO app did not do the trick however! There is an option to change it in the app too.

Aug 14, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #1,322 of 3,226
I couldn't get my Galaxy S10+ to pair with it through LDAC, though I played with FIIO Music app as well as developer settings on S10+. It always connect to SBC. USB audio player do not recognize it thorough S10+ USB.
FIIO Music app would need more work surely.
LDAC sounds very good with WM1A.

I had no problem with BT pairing Samsung S7 and J5. It worked in the beginning but after some time on USB and playing with Fiio app it stopped working. Destroyed sound. I played a bit with codec settings in Developer settings and it started to work correctly, now both phones no problem. I use only UAPP on both phones.
I would say that during BT settings in Fiio App something happened, it behaved strangely in the beginning.
LDAC is not bad but ... USB connection is a way better if you have well recorded music in hires at least on my AKG K701.
I was a bit surprised that SE output level is almost the same as in Q1mkII. I have to recable K701 to balanced :).
Sound is much better comparing Q1mkII - cleaner, more definition. Worth the money. I need better IEMs, ZS7 are not so good anymore for this amp.

Aug 14, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #1,323 of 3,226
This is very useful to have a streaming subscription and listen on the go!

Aug 14, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #1,326 of 3,226
So Q5s arrived today and using it successfully with Xperia XZ3 both XZ3 and Fiio app reporting that codec is LDAC [which it should be] but LED on Q5s resolutely flashing purple not white. Anyone …. Fiio any ideas?
Sounds excellent anyway through FA7's.

Aug 14, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #1,327 of 3,226
Got it done! Thank you very much! FIIO app did not do the trick however! There is an option to change it in the app too.
Thats the same whit every usb dac when you are using samsung its not fiio fault

Aug 14, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #1,328 of 3,226
So Q5s arrived today and using it successfully with Xperia XZ3 both XZ3 and Fiio app reporting that codec is LDAC [which it should be] but LED on Q5s resolutely flashing purple not white. Anyone …. Fiio any ideas?
Sounds excellent anyway through FA7's.

If it's a lilac color it's ldac, they're calling it white I guess. The purple ldac is darker. Pic of the ldac- kind of goofy I know

20190814_094623.jpg

Here's the aptx

20190814_095148.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #1,330 of 3,226
Aha …. OK odd they managed to get it right on the BTR3. Sounds great anyway!

Yeah idk, maybe that particular led can't do white. But it's yellow for hi res and green for dsd. But white, nope. But it's ldac for sure.

Oh yeah it's a great unit, this and the m11 have really changed my mind about Fiio. I've always liked them but with these 2 things they've stepped up the value and quality. I love the thx module too.

I'm using the bluetooth way more than I thought I would. At first I thought it sounded weaker than the USB, but then I realized I didn't have the volume up on my phone all the way.

Now I'm having a hard time telling which is which.

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #1,331 of 3,226
Got my Q5S. I listened to stock module for a while and swapped to AM3D. Listening to it with Focal Clear single ended and Westone W80 with 4.4mm balanced. I listened to it with PC + USB(Foobar), LDAC + WM1A, USB + WM1A. I couldn't get my Galaxy S10+ to pair with it through LDAC, though I played with FIIO Music app as well as developer settings on S10+. It always connect to SBC. USB audio player do not recognize it thorough S10+ USB.
FIIO Music app would need more work surely.
I like the sound signature and AM3E is a good amp module. However I like AM3D more as it has more clarity, controlled bass, space and speed. It is subtle, however change is very discernible. LDAC sounds very good with WM1A.
I need to change the case of WM1A as it does not allow stacking of the Q5S. The WMPORT cable gets in the way of 3.5 mm connector of the Focal clear. I am waiting for the 4.4mm connectors for building custom cables for Focal Clear and HE1000V2.
WM1A + USB + 4.4mm Westone sounds very good. It can drive Focal Clear with high gain volume dialed to 12'.
Over all I like the device very much. However LDAC issues with devices has to be fixed. Looks Q5S is a work in progress.
It does not back-charge WM1A.
What's the sound quality of the Q5s like compared to the WM1A?

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #1,332 of 3,226
This is very useful to have a streaming subscription and listen on the go!

Hey, did you ever get the USB out to work with the Q5s? Mines working with fiio and neutron properly. I don't think I changed any settings but I did install uapp which might of loaded a driver. But it outputs properly on all 3 music apps. I like them all for different reasons.

I don't think fiio or neutron were working properly before I installed uapp. I know neutron wasn't and I'm pretty sure the fiio app wasn't either.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #1,334 of 3,226
That's a nice little ifi stack you've got there in the background. Is that the iTube and iCan that I'm seeing?
Yes they are! I have Itube 2, ICAN SE, IDSD BL and IUSB 3 stacked. I love them as they drive Focal clear and HE1000 V2 very well.
However I think I should get Topping D50S to add LDAC capability to the stack.
I have to listen WM1A and it stacked with Q5S + AM3A more.
I can't get UAPP to work with Q5S. It does not recognise Q5S.

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #1,335 of 3,226
How do you describe the sound signature of Q5s? Does it work well with DAPs on the warmer side like Cayin N6ii? I am debating between the Fiii and the Chord Mojo so really appreciate any comparisons that can make my life a little easier. Fiio is definitely winning me over with 4.4 balance and bluetooth capability with such affordability...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back