[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 10, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #1,201 of 3,226
Thanks guys. I'll be buying a q5s.

It's a nice unit, it sounds like a desktop amp with the am3d module. Imo

Or like a flagship dap that's costs much more :wink:

If I had any complaint it would be the hard to turn volume knob and no dedicated usb port for charging

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #1,202 of 3,226
It's a nice unit, it sounds like a desktop amp with the am3d module. Imo

Or like a flagship dap that's costs much more :wink:

If I had any complaint it would be the hard to turn volume knob and no dedicated usb port for charging

So that means you can't use this as the dac at your hifi setup right?

(Or while gwtting power trough usb you use mini to rca to the speaker. Well...

Aug 10, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #1,207 of 3,226
Oh the difference is the same as comparing the stock amp of the Q5 to AM3D. They sound pretty much identical to me.

So to summarize, a slightly bigger more holographic stage, better control over the bass and a touch cleaner/neutral presentation. Not a big difference, noticable but not something that 'jumps' out of you.

The first thing I thought when I heard it was the more controlled bass. Well everything has a lot of control it's a very precise sound. It sounds very transparent so the recording sounds exactly like it's recorded.

The m11 and the stock amp for Q5 have a bit of warmth added. The nice thing is that the 3D even though it's more neutral it manages to sound natural if that makes sense. A drum strike sounds exactly like a real one does, a cymbal bloom is missing nothing and sounds totally accurate. It doesn't sound tinny or to soft or too metallic.

Sounds like I'm gushing again, lol it's not that m11 or am3e sound bad in any shape or form. But there is a touch of digital sheen and things don't sound as well controlled as 3D. Oh and almost forgot, with the slightly bigger more 3d stage effect of 3d (haha) the positioning seems to have a bit more space and accuracy as I said in my earlier post.

Imo of course :)

also I have nice slightly warmish or bassy iems and cans that I use. With something really treble centric, I might find 3d a bit fatiguing. Idk.

Tea time :)

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like the 3d is a small, but worth while improvement over the M11.

I would agree, with brighter headphones I would likely prefer the stock AM3E a little over the AM3D which is certainly a more neutral/clean signature. At least that is how I am hearing things. I tend to prefer a little warmth in my sound, not much, but just that little toastiness.

Thanks for the addition impression.

Aug 11, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #1,208 of 3,226
I have just linked my Shanling M0 using FiiO's CL06 cable and noticed that the Q5s is pulling power from the Shanling, I tried a different cable and the same thing happened. I then noticed that when I linked my M6 via usb the Q5s was drawing power. Am I doing something wrong, as the Q5s is not drawing power from my phone. I have searched the forum and nothing is show concerning battery drain.

Aug 11, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #1,209 of 3,226
I have just linked my Shanling M0 using FiiO's CL06 cable and noticed that the Q5s is pulling power from the Shanling, I tried a different cable and the same thing happened. I then noticed that when I linked my M6 via usb the Q5s was drawing power. Am I doing something wrong, as the Q5s is not drawing power from my phone. I have searched the forum and nothing is show concerning battery drain.
It still drains power from your battery, but there is a option in the app called disable load. This option is in the bluetooth controll window

Aug 11, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #1,210 of 3,226
Yeah I noticed it drained power from my daps but not my phone. So I've been using my s10e hooked up to Q5s and using my daps to control the phone via fiio link.

Happily the fiio app is outputting the correct bit rates and depths. Plus the eq has no effect via usb (as it shouldn't). Also I've been just using ldac and that sounds great also.

Aug 11, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #1,211 of 3,226
It still drains power from your battery, but there is a option in the app called disable load. This option is in the bluetooth controll window
Where would I find that on the Shanling M0 and Fiio M6, there appears to be no way to control the bluetooth device through the fiio app on the m6. And the Shanling does not have the fiio app.

Aug 11, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #1,212 of 3,226
Yeah I noticed it drained power from my daps but not my phone. So I've been using my s10e hooked up to Q5s and using my daps to control the phone via fiio link.

Happily the fiio app is outputting the correct bit rates and depths. Plus the eq has no effect via usb (as it shouldn't). Also I've been just using ldac and that sounds great also.
That's an interesting way of working, I think I will try it, but LDAC is proving just as good. At the moment I have linked my X7ii and have just ordered the L28 to coaxial link and the AM0 for the X7ii. Once everything arrives it will be like having a slightly heavy M11 pro. :smile_phones:

Aug 11, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #1,213 of 3,226
Where would I find that on the Shanling M0 and Fiio M6, there appears to be no way to control the bluetooth device through the fiio app on the m6. And the Shanling does not have the fiio app.
Connect it via phone over bluetooth und download the app the option is called charge
Screenshot_20190811-225309_FiiO Music.jpg

Aug 11, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #1,214 of 3,226
That's an interesting way of working, I think I will try it, but LDAC is proving just as good. At the moment I have linked my X7ii and have just ordered the L28 to coaxial link and the AM0 for the X7ii. Once everything arrives it will be like having a slightly heavy M11 pro. :smile_phones:

Ldac is really close. And so convenient. Love not messing with wires. :) yep with the thx module and the q5s it's basically the m11 pro sans screen of course. But honestly I'm just using it for sitting down and enjoying great sound.

I've already have several daps and a smartphone, but none of them sounds as good as the q5s/am3d combo

Aug 11, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #1,215 of 3,226

You need the latest version of the fiio app to get the controls. The m6 is stuck at 1.10 unless you download the newer version from the m6 thread. If you rename the app it will run fine, it won't upgrade the existing fiio app, like it should :frowning2:

Easiest way is to use your phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back