Fiio q5
Apr 2, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 17
Would you suggest upgrading from a fiio a5 to a q5 to reduce the hissing noise coming from the internal dac of a FiiO M9?
It might help to narrow down what is causing the hissing?
Can we assume the FiiO M9's line output is connected to the line-input on the Fiio A5?
If the FiiO A5 itself is causing the hissing, then replacing it with just about any other amplifier should solve the hissing issue.
Assuming the M9 has a "return to default" setting, try setting the M9 to default.

Apr 2, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 17
It might help to narrow down what is causing the hissing?
Can we assume the FiiO M9's line output is connected to the line-input on the Fiio A5?
If the FiiO A5 itself is causing the hissing, then replacing it with just about any other amplifier should solve the hissing issue.
Assuming the M9 has a "return to default" setting, try setting the M9 to default.
I would assume the hissing is caused by the m9's integrated dac, isn't it? So pairing it with a q5 it would be using q5's dac, which I assume is better

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 17
I had for a bit the M9 and I didn't hear any hissing, (I used it with Fiio A5, Mejer jazz and Darkvoice) so I agree with PurpleAngel, you can just return and ask for a replacement. I'm italian too and if you got it by amazon.it it's not going to be a problem

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 17
I had for a bit the M9 and I didn't hear any hissing, (I used it with Fiio A5, Mejer jazz and Darkvoice) so I agree with PurpleAngel, you can just return and ask for a replacement. I'm italian too and if you got it by amazon.it it's not going to be a problem
I had the same problem with the x5 III, i can hear it mainly in the more quiet songs

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #6 of 17
I had the same problem with the x5 III, i can hear it mainly in the more quiet songs
I had X5 3 too.. We are doing the same steps, I tried m9 for a bit the i sent it back to get an ibasso dx120.. Few euros more but sound quality is tremendous! Back to your issue, which headphones do you use? Maybe the issue is there because A5 is quite silent without hissing problems

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #7 of 17
I had X5 3 too.. We are doing the same steps, I tried m9 for a bit the i sent it back to get an ibasso dx120.. Few euros more but sound quality is tremendous! Back to your issue, which headphones do you use? Maybe the issue is there because A5 is quite silent without hissing problems
I use beyerdynamic dt1990 pro

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #9 of 17
I use beyerdynamic dt1990 pro

That's the answer, Beyerdynamic are not forgiving about highs, you should just test your dap and amp with different ones

Can you download Spotify on it? Cause I mainly use that to listen to music

No you can't because can't connect to anything online

Apr 4, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #11 of 17
Is there anything I can do that doesn't involve changing headphones?
I would just make a test with different headphones and then eventually I would test your beyer with a different amp. I wouldn't change those beyer ever! :)

Apr 4, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #13 of 17
Apr 4, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #14 of 17
Apr 4, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #15 of 17
FiiO M9 won't hiss with DT1990 PRO.

Keep in mind DT1990 will typically expose recording hiss much more than HD6XX.
Headphones with very extended and slightly raised treble are much more prone to expose recording hiss.

Make sure to test with recordings that you're a 100% certain they don't have hiss. And of course, skip live recordings for this test.
Once you find a proper (hiss-free) recording to test try the following:

1- FiiO M9 ---> DT1990 PRO
2- FiiO M9 (line out mode) ---> FiiO A5 (Low Gain) ---> DT1990 PRO

Let me know if you still hear any hiss in test 1 or 2.

Regards,
Me x3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back