FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Feb 24, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #2,868 of 3,173
Is there a large difference using Bluetooth from one of the newer iPhones vs an android with hd audio and such?
I was for quite a while only connecting to my Q5 via AAC as opposed to apt x and I have to say that I couldn't really hear a difference. With my phone, LG G6 it connects to the Q5 via AAC by default and the only way to change this is after the connection has been established to go through developer options and manually tell the phone to stream via apt x to the Q5, but this will only work for the session. Each time I reconnect I have to do this. I think Apple uses AAC if I remember correctly and if that is the case, my experience suggests that AAC sounds indistinguishable from apt x, at least in casual listening.

Edit: And just to make clear, this behaviour is not due to the LG G6. When I connect via Bluetooth to my iFi iOne it connects via apt x automatically and has never required me to use developer options. I assume this is just some configuration/incompatibility with the Q5 receiver chip. I have experienced this with a somewhat older BT headphone, the Onkyo H500BT. It would only connect via AAC as well so there can be older receiver chip issues at play.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #2,870 of 3,173
You want to see the green light, I get this :)
Go here https://www.nativedsd.com/information/welcome
Follow the instructions and get your NativeDSD Sampler for free.
Install USB Audio Player Pro on your Android phone, set the DSD mode to "Native DSD" and the green light will go on.
There are also DSD capable players for iPhone, of Foobar2000 for PC.

Thanks! I will give a try.
update: yes, the DSD works!

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #2,871 of 3,173
Got my Fiio AM5 power module today, it transformed my Q5 to a little beast, and it puts smile on my face when I am listening to Qobuz using USB connection from my Google Pixel 2 XL to Fiio Q5 via Fiio CL06 and wearing Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear headphones. It's like the first time I listened to my Naim system many years ago, I think I am satisfied for now :)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #2,872 of 3,173
Just noticed an announcement about the AM3D. Completely similar as the AM3C and more widely available. Looking forward to this thing!

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #2,877 of 3,173

Users who are viewing this thread

Back