FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Apr 25, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #1,831 of 3,173
Matter so much. It's matter of trust. I definitely don't trust reviews who don't have explicit disclosure policy.

Who knows that a review sacrifice other people to pursue his own personal benefit? You never know.

To protect this hobby and community, I vehemently argue that people must know who can be trusted. Disclosure policy is a just starting point.

If you have nothing to hide, just disclose it.

To each his own, but I try to know and form my opinion about a reviewer as a person by reading or watching a few of his reviews. That values to me more than a phrase like: "This item was given to to me free, in exchange of my honest and unbiased review". A phrase like that won't make me trust a reviewer more. Also in this hobby you better not blindly "trust" that what you read in a review will work for you. You try to read between the lines and try to extract some cues that will help you know if the item will match YOUR preferences. I learned that the hard way. "This sounds good", "This is the best", all ended up for sale too many times. So now I'm circumspect about any review "trusted" or not, and try to sample before buying as much as I can.

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #1,832 of 3,173
giphy.gif

from my narcissistic emotional chariot of awesome I look down...and if i squint...and the sun ....reflecting my awesomeness is not too blinding.... I can almost see the...the others...
Regular folks and....as if in a waking dream think I...I... was once one of them? ...then I open a box of something else free and add it to a bathtub of other free items and bathe in it and forget about it all
giphy.gif

from my narcissistic emotional chariot of awesome I look down...and if i squint...and the sun ....reflecting my awesomeness is not too blinding.... I can almost see the...the others...
Regular folks and....as if in a waking dream think I...I... was once one of them? ...then I open a box of something else free and add it to a bathtub of other free items and bathe in it and forget about it all

Expensive gift. Hasn't made it to your gear tag yet?

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #1,833 of 3,173
To each his own, but I try to know and form my opinion about a reviewer as a person by reading or watching a few of his reviews. That values to me more than a phrase like: "This item was given to to me free, in exchange of my honest and unbiased review". A phrase like that won't make me trust a reviewer more. Also in this hobby you better not blindly "trust" that what you read in a review will work for you. You try to read between the lines and try to extract some cues that will help you know if the item will match YOUR preferences. I learned that the hard way. "This sounds good", "This is the best", all ended up for sale too many times. So now I'm circumspect about any review "trusted" or not, and try to sample before buying as much as I can.
Whole point is just laughable

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #1,836 of 3,173
If anyone is interested in longer cables - I just tested Q5 with Lightning to USB Camera Adapter connected to Ugreen MicroUSB OTG adapter with USB A to A (also from Ugreen) cable. It works (including DSD), Q5 light is solid (so no charging indication) so it shouldn't drain the iDevice battery.

Apr 26, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #1,839 of 3,173
Q5 is a great device, I have Q5 a few days. I use with W60 and SE846. Especially with the W60 great combination. The Bluethooth connection works with ipod 6g, Apple TV 4K. Samsung Note 8 and ipadAir2 are not working. In IOS, the Fiio Controller does not work when cable is connected. I do not know if I'm doing something wrong, thank you. Sorry google translator.

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #1,840 of 3,173
Q5 is a great device, I have Q5 a few days. I use with W60 and SE846. Especially with the W60 great combination. The Bluethooth connection works with ipod 6g, Apple TV 4K. Samsung Note 8 and ipadAir2 are not working. In IOS, the Fiio Controller does not work when cable is connected. I do not know if I'm doing something wrong, thank you. Sorry google translator.
For Bluetooth not connecting to Note 8: Have you tried first disabling the Bluetooth in iPod (or current connected device), then putting the Q5 in pairing mode and serching for it in Note 8? The Bluetooth should work with any phone.
The iOS app only works via Bluetooth, not cable. That is normal behaviour.

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #1,841 of 3,173

Received my q5 yesterday. Some devices, like my LG G6 needs to try to connect some times to work (turn off BT on q5 and start pairing again at every time)... after first time with sucessful connect, they connect fine, without problems. I experienced the same situation with a friend's iphone se. Maybe it's the same situation for you and note 8.

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #1,842 of 3,173
Received my q5 yesterday. Some devices, like my LG G6 needs to try to connect some times to work (turn off BT on q5 and start pairing again at every time)... after first time with sucessful connect, they connect fine, without problems. I experienced the same situation with a friend's iphone se. Maybe it's the same situation for you and note 8.

Once in a blue moon, I have the connection problem with the LG V20 as well. But it's after I had sync'ed up the Q5 with some other unit, like laptops, tablets and desktop pc's.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #1,844 of 3,173
@Hawaiibadboy

Where did you get the micro usb to lightning cable you are using?

One comes with the Q5. But mine and somebody elses, don't sound right. We both get better audio with the Apple camera kit. Technically it doesn't make sense, as it's a digital signal being transferred. But I can tell right away that my supplied cable effects my sound in a bad way.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #1,845 of 3,173
One comes with the Q5. But mine and somebody elses, don't sound right. We both get better audio with the Apple camera kit. Technically it doesn't make sense, as it's a digital signal being transferred. But I can tell right away that my supplied cable effects my sound in a bad way.

There are technical differences:

CCK - converts native lightning MFi data to standard USB data before it reaches the Q5.
Fiio Cable - transmits lightning MFi data to Q5, and then Q5 internal MFi chip converts to USB data. This is also why you can't use the Fiio cable for any device that doesn't have built in MFi support.

Lightning (MFi) is basically an encrypted USB data stream that requires an MFi chip to decrypt. However, everything is done in the digital domain so how this difference may affect sound, I don't have any theory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back