FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Apr 23, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #1,817 of 3,173
Apr 23, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #1,818 of 3,173
New toy syndrome? They are 100 mW more than the AM3A it I'm not mistaken?

I don't know man. I'll see in a few days. I really like the AM3 over the AM3A. The AM3B sounds different to me, even though it's suppose to be like the AM3A. The A has a single board, whereas the "B" has two boards inside the module. Who know what other changes has been made.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #1,819 of 3,173
Slapped together some cables with the 4.4 for my 400I Hifiman and for my IEM's. Used Mogami wires for the IEM cable. Chopped up FIIO cables for the Hifiman.

20180423_213526.jpg
20180423_213822.jpg

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #1,820 of 3,173
Man, the AM3B sounds nicer for some reason.
Can you please share more details? What is different from the AM3A?
I ordered my AM3B a couple of days ago.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #1,821 of 3,173
Can you please share more details? What is different from the AM3A?
I ordered my AM3B a couple of days ago.

I can't put my finger on the difference really, but to my ears it's there. I'll be swapping between the 3 different balance amps this weekend and listen if I can "really" detect the difference.

My theory is that the AM3B does receive more more voltage on the main opamp vs the AM3A. So it can be that the 8620 Opamp is running at a optimum range inside the AM3B, making the difference. I heard this difference in sound, when I use to mess around with the smaller Muses opamps. But it's just a theory inside my head.

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #1,824 of 3,173
Did you get the Q5 for free?

giphy.gif

from my narcissistic emotional chariot of awesome I look down...and if i squint...and the sun ....reflecting my awesomeness is not too blinding.... I can almost see the...the others...
Regular folks and....as if in a waking dream think I...I... was once one of them? ...then I open a box of something else free and add it to a bathtub of other free items and bathe in it and forget about it all

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #1,825 of 3,173
giphy.gif

from my narcissistic emotional chariot of awesome I look down...and if i squint...and the sun ....reflecting my awesomeness is not too blinding.... I can almost see the...the others...
Regular folks and....as if in a waking dream think I...I... was once one of them? ...then I open a box of something else free and add it to a bathtub of other free items and bathe in it and forget about it all
:D :D

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #1,826 of 3,173
giphy.gif

I also was curious about this. I read some of your reviews. Do you have any disclosure policy whether the item you are reviewing is allowed to keep or must be send back? I was trying to find it, but couldn't.

Some review sites have explicit disclosure policy regarding this, but others not.

I like Q5 very much, but without the explicit disclosure policy, it is easy for a manufacturer to cherry pick a reviewer who is likely to write only good things.

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #1,829 of 3,173
giphy.gif

Hilarious! that made my day! :laughing:

I also was curious about this. I read some of your reviews. Do you have any disclosure policy whether the item you are reviewing is allowed to keep or must be send back? I was trying to find it, but couldn't.

Some review sites have explicit disclosure policy regarding this, but others not.

I like Q5 very much, but without the explicit disclosure policy, it is easy for a manufacturer to cherry pick a reviewer who is likely to write only good things.

Does it matter? At the end of the day, everybody is biased because everything they write in a review is filtered through their own preference an subjectivity.
So I think people stress to much about disclosure policies.
But watching his videos, you can easily conclude one thing: he doesn't give a crap about free or bought items or "pleasing" the manufacturer, he just states his genuine opinions. That's good enough for me.

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #1,830 of 3,173
Hilarious! that made my day! :laughing:

Does it matter? At the end of the day, everybody is biased because everything they write in a review is filtered through their own preference an subjectivity.
So I think people stress to much about disclosure policies.
But watching his videos, you can easily conclude one thing: he doesn't give a crap about free or bought items or "pleasing" the manufacturer, he just states his genuine opinions. That's good enough for me.

Matter so much. It's matter of trust. I definitely don't trust reviews who don't have explicit disclosure policy.

Who knows that a review sacrifice other people to pursue his own personal benefit? You never know.

To protect this hobby and community, I vehemently argue that people must know who can be trusted. Disclosure policy is a just starting point.

If you have nothing to hide, just disclose it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back