FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Apr 15, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #1,757 of 3,173
Thanks Duncan.

Good news though. I’ve got it to work and I’ll confess it was user error on a Sunday morning. I think I need to go back to sleep as @Joewoof suggested I might have my headphones plugged into the line out socket and facepalm somehow I had managed to do this and keep repeating the error.
Good to see :)

Any first impressions?

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #1,759 of 3,173
Dx200 with amp 4 is still the best for the price
I’ve got the Amp4s on order. Will see which I prefer, but I’m kinda missing that second TF card slot. DX200 is excellent; FiiO is solid and almost always over performs for the price point. Q5 is great, there’s a heck of a lot to like with the X7 Mark II. With this new module, there’s no wrong choice. While I’d prefer aptX HD on any of the aforementioned devices, that doesn’t take away from what FiiO’s accomplished. It’s impressive.

Apr 15, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #1,760 of 3,173
Hmm. I am very interested in this q5. I currently have an axon 7 mini using USB audio player pro in hi res direct mode. I have a fiio a5 amp attached to it. Sounds very nice but I am now thinking if I am gonna strap an amp to it I might go with the the better DAC the q5 has.?? Only down fall is the battery life on the axon is not terrific and with the a5 I am able to plug a powerbank into the phone to keep it alive lol. Wish I could charge phone and use q5 at same time?
So what do ya all think. Q5 or stick with the akm chip in my phone?

Apr 15, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #1,761 of 3,173
Hmm. I am very interested in this q5. I currently have an axon 7 mini using USB audio player pro in hi res direct mode. I have a fiio a5 amp attached to it. Sounds very nice but I am now thinking if I am gonna strap an amp to it I might go with the the better DAC the q5 has.?? Only down fall is the battery life on the axon is not terrific and with the a5 I am able to plug a powerbank into the phone to keep it alive lol. Wish I could charge phone and use q5 at same time?
So what do ya all think. Q5 or stick with the akm chip in my phone?

Here is a crazy idea - I believe the OTG cable supplied with the Q5 allowed the host end to suck battery from the Q5. This is bad for most folks and fortunately there are OTG cables on Amazon that prevent this. However, in your case, it seems the former is exactly what you want - Q5 keeps your phone charged. Try this out and connect your battery bank to the side USB port on the Q5 and you should be able to keep both devices charged. Report back on the results. There may be a few folks who would be interested in doing the exact same thing.

Apr 15, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #1,762 of 3,173
Here is a crazy idea - I believe the OTG cable supplied with the Q5 allowed the host end to suck battery from the Q5. This is bad for most folks and fortunately there are OTG cables on Amazon that prevent this. However, in your case, it seems the former is exactly what you want - Q5 keeps your phone charged. Try this out and connect your battery bank to the side USB port on the Q5 and you should be able to keep both devices charged. Report back on the results. There may be a few folks who would be interested in doing the exact same thing.

Somehow I am amazed that some one else has not tried that yet?
I am also hoping fiio will start selling a q5 with the am5 module!
Does the q5 cable come with a c connect for the phone end?

Apr 15, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #1,763 of 3,173
Somehow I am amazed that some one else has not tried that yet?
I am also hoping fiio will start selling a q5 with the am5 module!
Does the q5 cable come with a c connect for the phone end?

Yes, but it is micro USB. Don't know what your phone has. If it's USB-C then you will need to find an OTG cable that does have the charging enabled. I'm an Apple user so perhaps a knowledgeable Android user here can give you the specs of the USB cable you need.

Apr 15, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #1,764 of 3,173
Yes, but it is micro USB. Don't know what your phone has. If it's USB-C then you will need to find an OTG cable that does have the charging enabled. I'm an Apple user so perhaps a knowledgeable Android user here can give you the specs of the USB cable you need.

Well I could always use male c to micro female adapter block at phone but dislike them. They seem to get pretty warm lol.

Apr 15, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #1,765 of 3,173
Maybe someone here who has the q5 and a phone that gets sucked out can try with the q5 in charge and see if it charges their phone(original phone connect cable) worst scenario is I can listen for about 3 hours or so in airplane mode and recharge phone but man if the above worked it would be fabulous!!

Apr 15, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #1,766 of 3,173
Hmm, just connected my USB C OTG cable, and no charge in either direction...

I know what you mean though, as i have the RHA amp, which gets charged by the phone in the same configuration...

Apr 15, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #1,767 of 3,173
Hmm, just connected my USB C OTG cable, and no charge in either direction...

I know what you mean though, as i have the RHA amp, which gets charged by the phone in the same configuration...

Ok but what c cable is that. If the one from eBay it won't allow to charge at all. It has to be cable that was reverse charging the q5 from the phone. Then plug charger into side of q5 and see if the phone charges .

Apr 15, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #1,770 of 3,173
I'm seeing what you're saying...

Update here for Android Oreo and S9+ - using the Q5 on its own, there is an error, saying that the Q5 is drawing too much power, which causes a disconnect...

Plugging a power source into the Q5 then allows playback without error however, if selecting the phone to be charged by the Q5, audio disconnects, and within a few seconds the phone goes back to standard mode (ie no charging takes place), so looks like no go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back