FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Apr 5, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #1,667 of 3,173
Gotcha. Even at 96KHz, it is cracking intermittently. So I lowered further a bit to 88.2KHz.
I was getting crackling even at 44.1 (that is why I RMA'd it) it looks like Q5 is very picky about optical sources. I hope I get an replacement - they had my Q5 for few weeks now and I miss it every day (they said Q5 is out of stock and it can take up to a month so I assume they are just waiting for the production to catch up)

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #1,668 of 3,173
I was getting crackling even at 44.1 (that is why I RMA'd it) it looks like Q5 is very picky about optical sources. I hope I get an replacement - they had my Q5 for few weeks now and I miss it every day (they said Q5 is out of stock and it can take up to a month so I assume they are just waiting for the production to catch up)

Yes, it does seem picky. First, Q5 recognized it incorrectly as the coxial input, it didn't work at all. I pulled the optical input adapter off (included in Q5) and plugged it again in the opposite direction, and then it started to recognize it as the optical input. Dumbfounded. Anyway, it is now working.

Apr 6, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #1,670 of 3,173
The issue is emerging once again. It started to recognize the optical input from Mac as the coax input incorrectly again. No sound at all. Is there any way to force Q5 to recognize it as the optical input?

Edit: Nevermind. I found it. Hold the forward button for a few seconds, then the color changes.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #1,671 of 3,173
I was doing A/B between

Mac Pro - Q5 - MCTH - Ether c flow
vs
Mac Pro - Q5 - Ether c flow.

I had a hard time figuring out what are exactly differences between the two. It wasn't immediate day and night difference. After very careful listening with the volume turned up, the setup with MCTH is tad more crisp, tad more transparent, and slightly better in imaging. The amp section in Q5 is slightly laid-back. But they are close and I was very impressed by this small gadget. Overall functions/buttons are carefully designed for convenience, and I really like its bluetooth connection.

If I need to sell one of Q5 and MCTH, MCTH will have to go first.

Apr 6, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #1,672 of 3,173
The issue is emerging once again. It started to recognize the optical input from Mac as the coax input incorrectly again. No sound at all. Is there any way to force Q5 to recognize it as the optical input?

Edit: Nevermind. I found it. Hold the forward button for a few seconds, then the color changes.
Click the forward button,Input functions will rotate switching: line lin / opt in / coax in / line lin...

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #1,674 of 3,173
Accessories for those Q5 owners with OCD like me:
Both are useful audio gadgets to have around for future upgrades. Check out Headfi classified too. Can't promise that you will hear any difference, but these may give that last percent or 2 of peak performance. YMMV

Oh, can't stand the side charging port making your cable stick out? Get a set of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S4XJ9WA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Peace

Q5's primary use case is mobile so seems a bit esoteric, but I like the OCD thinking :p

Do we know if the Q5's DAC and AMP are using the device's battery even while USB charging?
If so then the linear USB PSU is redundant isn't it?
(btw I'm fascinated by iFi's ANC tech)

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #1,676 of 3,173
The L27 connector for my Q5/ZX300 finally arrived yesterday. I had been using the bluetooth connection. I know how convenient it is to use bluetooth but as long as I have a choice, no more bluetooth for me. Personal preference. I realize that there can be several things that effect sound quality but the treble seems less harsh with the USB connection. To me the Q5 is smoother. Liking it a lot more now.

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #1,677 of 3,173
Can anybody confirm for me that the balanced output on the Fiio Q5 amp section uses the same wiring as Astell & Kern? I am asking for compatibility with after-market cables that don't mention the Q5 explicitly.

I too am curious about this. I would like to finish my current setup with the addition of a PlusSound headphone cable but before I buy I would like to have this question answered.

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #1,678 of 3,173
Can anybody confirm for me that the balanced output on the Fiio Q5 amp section uses the same wiring as Astell & Kern? I am asking for compatibility with after-market cables that don't mention the Q5 explicitly.

I too am curious about this. I would like to finish my current setup with the addition of a PlusSound headphone cable but before I buy I would like to have this question answered.
I'm using AK T8ie mkII via balanced cable that came with them, works perfectly and sounds (with these) amazing!

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #1,679 of 3,173
I'm using AK T8ie mkII via balanced cable that came with them, works perfectly and sounds (with these) amazing!
Thanks!

Thanks!

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #1,680 of 3,173
They are the same

Users who are viewing this thread

Back