FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Feb 22, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #1,366 of 3,173
Hmm I just reread this... So you ARE saying the knob works in Bluetooth mode.... Mine has no effect on volume... I remember reading a suggestion to keep the phones Bluetooth volume on max and then adjust the q5's knob for volume.... I can't do this with mine...
The volume knob only controls the volume of the headphone outs at the bottom. The line out at the top has fixed volume. May this be the problem?

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #1,367 of 3,173
The volume knob only controls the volume of the headphone outs at the bottom. The line out at the top has fixed volume. May this be the problem?

I bet that's the problem, but that also gives me an interesting idea for controlling my PC monitors via keyboard volume control. Thanks!

Feb 22, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #1,369 of 3,173
I bet that's the problem, but that also gives me an interesting idea for controlling my PC monitors via keyboard volume control. Thanks!

That's what I do and it works even better with the Fiio K5.
So I can easily switch between

Sounblaster Titanium HD -> K5 anlaog in -> Headphones/Desktop Speakers for Gaming/Movies to
Q5 -> K5 dock in -> Headphones/Desktop for music or even to
Phone -> Q5 Bluetooth -> K5 dock in -> Headphones/Desktop
I am very happy with that combo!

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #1,370 of 3,173
Perhaps I misunderstood you. The volume knob on the Q5 doesn't change the volume on the phone when connected via bluetooth but it changes the volume on the Q5. The bluetooth volume control on the phone will always be controlled independently. I just set mine to max when I was testing it. AptX on my Tmobile LGV30 isn't working correctly though so pairing it to the Q5 sounds like crap. It sounds good paired with my Oneplus 3t.
Interesting about the V30's AptX. It's also AptX HD compatible as well, correct? I've had the LG V10 since launch, but have my eyes on the V30. This AptX issue is just one more reason for me to wait...

Feb 22, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #1,371 of 3,173
I just received my Q5 with AM3A about 2 hours ago. After an hour or so A/B between D14, iFi DSD Micro BL and W8, here is my impression:
When compares it with iBasso D14(a very old dac/amp), the treble on Q5 is not as resolving as D14, not to mention iFi DSD and W8. To me, the resolution on Q5 is like a class less than D14. The mids and sub-bass sounds a bit elevated while treble is recessed, not as airy as D14. The bass is great, not boomy. The sound stage is narrower than D14, like intimate.
The optical Spdif is supposed to bring a clean sound, instead, it sounds a bit "rough". I am surprised and very disappointed with it.
There is a little bit of hiss when using Andromeda. I guess if you use other less sensitive IEMs, you will not hear the hiss. On the other hand, D14's hiss is almost unbearable. I did not try other headphones due to the short time.
Q5 does not get warm at all after an hour of playing. It is good. All input works.
If you plan to purchase your first multi-function Dac/Amp, Q5 will not disappoint you. It provides many input options, more than you would need. If you have other comparable or high end Dac/amp, you can skip it. It will not bring any "WOW" moment to you at least to me. I know this is not a fair comparison because it is much smaller than rest of my Dac/Amps, even D14 is thicker than Q5. That said, it is portable and good for stacking. I did not compare it with Mojo and I don't think I will ever want to, there is no reason to compare them.
This is my first impression and it is biased. Your mileage may vary. Do not beat me up, I am just providing my first and honest impression.

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #1,372 of 3,173
I just received my Q5 with AM3A about 2 hours ago. After an hour or so A/B between D14, iFi DSD Micro BL and W8, here is my impression:
When compares it with iBasso D14(a very old dac/amp), the treble on Q5 is not as resolving as D14, not to mention iFi DSD and W8. To me, the resolution on Q5 is like a class less than D14. The mids and sub-bass sounds a bit elevated while treble is recessed, not as airy as D14. The bass is great, not boomy. The sound stage is narrower than D14, like intimate.
The optical Spdif is supposed to bring a clean sound, instead, it sounds a bit "rough". I am surprised and very disappointed with it.
There is a little bit of hiss when using Andromeda. I guess if you use other less sensitive IEMs, you will not hear the hiss. On the other hand, D14's hiss is almost unbearable. I did not try other headphones due to the short time.
Q5 does not get warm at all after an hour of playing. It is good. All input works.
If you plan to purchase your first multi-function Dac/Amp, Q5 will not disappoint you. It provides many input options, more than you would need. If you have other comparable or high end Dac/amp, you can skip it. It will not bring any "WOW" moment to you at least to me. I know this is not a fair comparison because it is much smaller than rest of my Dac/Amps, even D14 is thicker than Q5. That said, it is portable and good for stacking. I did not compare it with Mojo and I don't think I will ever want to, there is no reason to compare them.
This is my first impression and it is biased. Your mileage may vary. Do not beat me up, I am just providing my first and honest impression.

Hard to say for all uses. For my gear, my K702M sounds better on my iDSD BL and my Shure 1540 much better on X5/A5 and sounds bloated on the bottom out of the BL. This hobby is very subjective:)

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #1,373 of 3,173
Hard to say for all uses. For my gear, my K702M sounds better on my iDSD BL and my Shure 1540 much better on X5/A5 and sounds bloated on the bottom out of the BL. This hobby is very subjective:)
I agree with you completely! My son told me his apple airpods is way better than my Utopia because it is very convenient for him to be able to move around while listening to his music and my Utopia sounds too loud(?), feels heavy on his head and it is wired thus inferior to his Airpods. I agree to him as well, because his needs are completely different than mine.

I hope you enjoy your music, I know I will.

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #1,374 of 3,173
Just found a very annoying problem. When Q5 connected to an AptX source, sometimes the sound becomes distorted. I have to turn off the source then turn it back on to make it sound right. The source is Avantree Aptx bluetooth Transmitter.

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #1,375 of 3,173
I agree with you completely! My son told me his apple airpods is way better than my Utopia because it is very convenient for him to be able to move around while listening to his music and my Utopia sounds too loud(?), feels heavy on his head and it is wired thus inferior to his Airpods. I agree to him as well, because his needs are completely different than mine.

I hope you enjoy your music, I know I will.
Earpods > Utopia. I wonder what was your facial expression when you first heard that.....haha but at least convenient for him which agreeable xD

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #1,377 of 3,173
Hi everyone
Whats your opinion using the q5 as usb dac? Very similar to use X7ii as usb dac? Or comparing it with RHA Dacamp L1?
It's difficult to configure it to decode DSD with Foobar and Win10? Any problem to use it while charging?
Thanks

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #1,378 of 3,173
I've never had good luck using Fiio equip as USB DAC - so I'm curious on this as well. Ref: My X5iii is not a great USB dac.

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #1,379 of 3,173
I just noticed USB sound (from Linux, ALSA direct hardware) has less highs and more low bass than Bluetooth's sound (from IOS and Android).
Just EQ treble and you will be fine.

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #1,380 of 3,173
Hi everyone
Whats your opinion using the q5 as usb dac? Very similar to use X7ii as usb dac? Or comparing it with RHA Dacamp L1?
It's difficult to configure it to decode DSD with Foobar and Win10? Any problem to use it while charging?
Thanks
Since you are going to use Windows 10, why not purchase desktop gears? The same amount of money will give you much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back