FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Nov 24, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #2,642 of 3,173
Ok, I received the cables and did some tests and found the solution.

I used these 2 and it didn't work. Connecting iphone cable to iphone and then to these Female USB - Male MicroUSB to Q5.

618MaNtaNRL._SX679_.jpg

images

This is unfortunate because a DAC like Oppo HA-2 SE works like this. It's designed in a way that when you connect the normal iphone cable to iphone and the other end to Oppo HA-2 SE, it works.
Please FiiO keep in mind this. To design your future DACs in a way so it could work with a standard iphone cable and a USB female to USB-C male adapter. It shouldn't depend only on a short special cable provided in the box. That cable could break and get damaged and it's also short.

Nov 24, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #2,643 of 3,173
Then I used this cable and it works. You connect it to the special lightening cable provided by Q5. Not only it works, no charging Q5 by iphone (no blinking white light).

61z8QDkrtTL._SL1500_.jpg

So this solution works but as I said earlier it is not ideal because you are dependent on the special short cable provided by Q5.

Nov 24, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #2,644 of 3,173
Then I used this cable and it works. You connect it to the special lightening cable provided by Q5. Not only it works, no charging Q5 by iphone (no blinking white light).

61z8QDkrtTL._SL1500_.jpg

So this solution works but as I said earlier it is not ideal because you are dependent on the special short cable provided by Q5.

Just look at how much the cables consume. Additionally, the result of the Ampere program. 1 on the FiiO factory cable (180-250 mA) and an expensive Cable Crreations cable (1400 mA), this will already drain the LG V30 soon. It does not matter how the cable is, in vain, goldened etc. :)

ampere q5_1.jpg
c creations.jpg

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #2,645 of 3,173
A question .!!
Why is nobody making it? 4,4 mm female >> 2,5mm male balanced translator ??? There are a couple of cables that have 4,4 pentacones with a factory-balanced cable. (Senn HD660S / Sony MDR-1AM2) It's so difficult to launch ??? since the reverse is available.
(Fiio does not make, only 2.5 female 4.4 balanced male jacktranslator (BL44) )I do not understand this well ... if we are mixing here with pentaconne 4,4 / Trrs 2.5 outputs ..:)

Nov 27, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #2,646 of 3,173
A question .!!
Why is nobody making it? 4,4 mm female >> 2,5mm male balanced translator ??? There are a couple of cables that have 4,4 pentacones with a factory-balanced cable. (Senn HD660S / Sony MDR-1AM2) It's so difficult to launch ??? since the reverse is available.
(Fiio does not make, only 2.5 female 4.4 balanced male jacktranslator (BL44) )I do not understand this well ... if we are mixing here with pentaconne 4,4 / Trrs 2.5 outputs ..:)

I have this one and it is nice quality... https://www.ebay.com/itm/hi-end-4-c...-cable-/122908358227?var=&hash=item1c9de8b653

Nov 27, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #2,647 of 3,173
Nov 27, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #2,648 of 3,173
Thanks.:) Maybe it will be good, although in China they do not know how to "sold" it. Unfortunately, it's not good for my wristwatch. In FioO it would be better because the BL44 is of a very good quality. That's why I do not understand why they do not, because they have 4.4 modules / 2.5 modules for them.

I have FiiO L26 adapter cable and it felt like it could break in any second. BL44 looks a bit sturdier though.

After I bought AM3B module there has been no need for adapters. All of my balanced headphones have 4.4mm cable now.

Nov 27, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #2,649 of 3,173
I have FiiO L26 adapter cable and it felt like it could break in any second. BL44 looks a bit sturdier though.

After I bought AM3B module there has been no need for adapters. All of my balanced headphones have 4.4mm cable now.

I understand . I also have an AM3B, but I have a Earstudio ES100 and maybe I buy a FiiO M9 and I do not have to change the cable again. If I use it for 2.5. That's why. I ordered this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cable-Plug...var=532429624485&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648 I try.
(For HD660S and for the Sony MDR-1AM2 there are 4.4 cables, and the 660S cable can also be used with the HD650)

Nov 28, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #2,650 of 3,173
@FiiO , I got a Q5+AM3B (Japanese market version) but recently the DAC seem like not functioning properly. It doesnt work when connected to 2 of my iPhones. It's showing white light, detected under iPhone About page, shown on FiiO player app but when pressed play, it will hang. Tried on 3 laptops, DAC detected but no sound on the jack when playing music. Can assist?

Hardware ver: 2.0
Firmware ver: 0.5.2

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #2,651 of 3,173
@FiiO , I got a Q5+AM3B (Japanese market version) but recently the DAC seem like not functioning properly. It doesnt work when connected to 2 of my iPhones. It's showing white light, detected under iPhone About page, shown on FiiO player app but when pressed play, it will hang. Tried on 3 laptops, DAC detected but no sound on the jack when playing music. Can assist?

Hardware ver: 2.0
Firmware ver: 0.5.2
Dear friend,

Please try to reset the Q5 by poking the reset button in the left side to see if it helps first?
When using as the DAC for the computer, the headphone jack doesn't output correctly as well?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 28, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #2,652 of 3,173
Dear friend,

Please try to reset the Q5 by poking the reset button in the left side to see if it helps first?
When using as the DAC for the computer, the headphone jack doesn't output correctly as well?

Best regards

Yes, I did that few times, as per FiiO help page. Unfortunately still same. I send a private mail to you on service center. Thanks!

Nov 30, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #2,653 of 3,173
Had the chance to listen to my HD 6XX driven by the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label, and although I liked the sound, I'm not sure if I like it more than my Q5 / AM3A SE. (I'm still waiting for that balanced cable for the AM3A.)
The iDSD BL had a deeper, weightier, warmer sound with punchier bass, a bit deeper sound stage and smoother high-mids / highs. Q5 was more articulate and drier sounding in comparison. I think I like both :)
This had me wondering if AM5 module would sound closer to the iFi iDSD BL presentation. Anyone heard both the Q5 with AM5 and the iFi? What do you think?

Dec 1, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #2,654 of 3,173
Had the chance to listen to my HD 6XX driven by the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label, and although I liked the sound, I'm not sure if I like it more than my Q5 / AM3A SE. (I'm still waiting for that balanced cable for the AM3A.)
The iDSD BL had a deeper, weightier, warmer sound with punchier bass, a bit deeper sound stage and smoother high-mids / highs. Q5 was more articulate and drier sounding in comparison. I think I like both :)
This had me wondering if AM5 module would sound closer to the iFi iDSD BL presentation. Anyone heard both the Q5 with AM5 and the iFi? What do you think?

The FiiO dealer is very impressed with the AMB3. And I'm happy because I'm balanced with +7 mW (70mW) out power 300 ohms (HD650) but I have balanced cables for it. I strongly recommend because the AM5 unbalanced only 55mW 300 ohm.!

Dec 5, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #2,655 of 3,173
Did anyone try the Q5 docked into Fiio K5? Impressions vs. the AM5?
@FiiO is the K5 being discontinued? It is no longer available at my retailer. Is a new Fiio dock amp coming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back