FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
May 1, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #1,891 of 3,173
Still can’t get this darned DSD light on, checked all settings in UAPP, updated firmware and it still won’t budge....maybe an android issue will try with my Sony ZX-300 when my cable arrives later today!
Maybe try the Hiby App. It’s free and works with my DSD’s. As long as you make sure that DoP is enabled.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #1,892 of 3,173
Still can’t get this darned DSD light on, checked all settings in UAPP, updated firmware and it still won’t budge....maybe an android issue will try with my Sony ZX-300 when my cable arrives later today!

I have to chuckle, I suspect you will be left wanting if/when you get the DSD to light.
LOL, I downloaded demo Hi Resolution files from Oppo last night, 320 MP3, FLAC, MQA LOSSY packaged in a FLAC, Wav, DSD, and got my little DSD light to emit a low glow on the side of my Q5...big deal.

I clicked back and forth listening intently on my Sound Magic HP150's and I've come to a conclusion that although I scored very high on the "How well can you hear audio quality" test https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality I can't tell the difference between any ot the files.

I'm bored with the debate on MQA, FLAC, DSD, bit rate, etc. It's beyond my hearing capabilities. I can't hear better than CD quality. I'd rather spend my time searching for music than searching for some device that sounds better, I'm certainly not going to search for voodoo formats that are supposedly better than master quality (lol).

As far as the Q5 is concerned, I'm disappointed in more than one way. First for $350 this is not the leading edge of Bluetooth quality. There are two higher quality aptX Bluetooth protocols, aptX HD and aptX Low Latency, neither of which the Q5 supports. When I do use the aptX Bluetooth on the Q5, it studders once every song...every song...studders. (Firmware on Q5 updated to .52 and streaming FLAC from Samsung Note 4)

As an amp it's on the weak side at 160mW. This is the same output of the TEAC HP-150 that can be had for less than half the price, while sacrificing Bluetooth and DSD, and balanced output, but again...I can't hear the difference. So for me, the Q5 is a disappointment and an expensive one at that.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #1,893 of 3,173
I have to chuckle, I suspect you will be left wanting if/when you get the DSD to light.
LOL, I downloaded demo Hi Resolution files from Oppo last night, 320 MP3, FLAC, MQA LOSSY packaged in a FLAC, Wav, DSD, and got my little DSD light to emit a low glow on the side of my Q5...big deal.

I clicked back and forth listening intently on my Sound Magic HP150's and I've come to a conclusion that although I scored very high on the "How well can you hear audio quality" test https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality I can't tell the difference between any ot the files.

I'm bored with the debate on MQA, FLAC, DSD, bit rate, etc. It's beyond my hearing capabilities. I can't hear better than CD quality. I'd rather spend my time searching for music than searching for some device that sounds better, I'm certainly not going to search for voodoo formats that are supposedly better than master quality (lol).

As far as the Q5 is concerned, I'm disappointed in more than one way. First for $350 this is not the leading edge of Bluetooth quality. There are two higher quality aptX Bluetooth protocols, aptX HD and aptX Low Latency, neither of which the Q5 supports. When I do use the aptX Bluetooth on the Q5, it studders once every song...every song...studders. (Firmware on Q5 updated to .52 and streaming FLAC from Samsung Note 4)

As an amp it's on the weak side at 160mW. This is the same output of the TEAC HP-150 that can be had for less than half the price, while sacrificing Bluetooth and DSD, and balanced output, but again...I can't hear the difference. So for me, the Q5 is a disappointment and an expensive one at that.

Are you interested in selling your Q5 then?

May 1, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #1,894 of 3,173

You can't hear the difference between flac and hi res but you can between aptx and aptx HD?

May 1, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #1,896 of 3,173
You can't hear the difference between flac and hi res but you can between aptx and aptx HD?

I never said that or implied that I could hear the difference between aptx and aptX HD. My comment was more along the lines of GEEZ, this is an expensive Amp/DAC and it doesn't even sport the latest and greatest technology.

As far as the aptX is concerned, I own the Q5 and can say it is dropping out on every single song, whether that is from FLAC on the Note 4 or streamed from Spotify.

Tried my GF Note 5 and same thing...so it's not the source.

May 1, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #1,897 of 3,173
Assuming one starts with a properly mixed 24/96 master, I doubt many folks could differentiate between lossless and lossy versions of the track in blind testing. Even less people will be able to differentiate between 44/16 and 24/96 in blind testing. MQA benefit has more to do with a verification of the master source. This is a big deal as some digital download sellers will just upsample an MP3 to FLAC and sell it as lossless. Even some CDs are sold with lossy files covered to PCM.

Photography works in a similar way. At a certain size(dynamic range) and viewing distance (volume), it is next to impossible to detect a JPG versus Lossless TIFF in side by side comparison if the original picture is properly exposed. However, if the original RAW is overexposed, JPG will make it look worse that is fairly easy to detect by eye.

May 1, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #1,898 of 3,173
Assuming one starts with a properly mixed 24/96 master, I doubt many folks could differentiate between lossless and lossy versions of the track in blind testing. Even less people will be able to differentiate between 44/16 and 24/96 in blind testing. MQA benefit has more to do with a verification of the master source. This is a big deal as some digital download sellers will just upsample an MP3 to FLAC and sell it as lossless. Even some CDs are sold with lossy files covered to PCM.

Photography works in a similar way. At a certain size(dynamic range) and viewing distance (volume), it is next to impossible to detect a JPG versus Lossless TIFF in side by side comparison if the original picture is properly exposed. However, if the original RAW is overexposed, JPG will make it look worse that is fairly easy to detect by eye.

Just one thing. Photography is easier to discern because it is a static object. Sound is more difficult as it is fluid and quickly disappears. Usually, it is not a good idea to rely on audio memory, as it is indeed very poor. If you are not well trained, chances are that you won't find all those subtle differences in A/B tests.

But you will get to know about difference in your emotional responses in a long listening session.

May 1, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #1,899 of 3,173
Just one thing. Photography is easier to discern because it is a static object. Sound is more difficult as it is fluid and quickly disappears. Usually, it is not a good idea to rely on audio memory, as it is indeed very poor. If you are not well trained, chances are that you won't find all those subtle differences in A/B tests.

But you will get to know about difference in your emotional responses in a long listening session.

Good point. Although I must say that a hi-res photo of a double bacon cheeseburger certainly gets my emotions going LOL.

May 1, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #1,900 of 3,173
How do you upgrade the firmware? Looking on Fiio website, there isn’t anything to download, other than upgrade tools and these appear to be for windows pc, I only have a Mac.

May 1, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #1,902 of 3,173
I never said that or implied that I could hear the difference between aptx and aptX HD. My comment was more along the lines of GEEZ, this is an expensive Amp/DAC and it doesn't even sport the latest and greatest technology.

As far as the aptX is concerned, I own the Q5 and can say it is dropping out on every single song, whether that is from FLAC on the Note 4 or streamed from Spotify.

Well, you want the q5 to "sport the latest and greatest technology", but you don't care about wired playback support for anything above cd quality? I personally can't spot the difference between 320 lossy or hi res, but your argument is puzzling.
However, I do think a light indicating file format is a bit redundant if there was truly an audible difference.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #1,903 of 3,173

Aptx Bluetooth drops out a little, but rarely on my q5, but you'll find the dropout rate with aptx hd to be worse than normal aptx.

May 2, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #1,904 of 3,173

What Android version do you have on Note 4 / 5 ?
I had problems with drops with my HTC 10 after I upgraded to Android 8.0. Didn't have any problem with Android 7.0 on HTC. Also no drops with FiiO X5 3rd gen (Android 5.1)
I've read that Android 8.0 is buggy with Bluetooth on some devices. So that might be the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back