FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Feb 3, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #3,168 of 3,173
What are you thinking as a replacement for the Q5?

I have my eye on the iFi xDSD Gryphon, should my Q5 give out...

Didn't want to put it on this thread but since you mentioned it I allready fixed the problem.

51858826524_4298227a3f_c.jpg

Feb 21, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #3,170 of 3,173
Well that didn't end well. My FiiO Q5 has been sitting on my work table for several years. I used it with my HD660S (Balanced AM3B 4.4mm). This morning when I arrived to my work I was a bit shocked to find out that apparently the battery has popped during the night. Luckily it didn't cause any fire hazard.

I guess I have to find a new DAC AMP with 4.4mm output.

51853916634_218389b67a_c.jpg

51852629842_724924d3bb_c.jpg

51854251275_4b8958cf09_c.jpg
That might be a pretty easy fix. Is that cover plastic or metal? You can search Aliexpress for a replacement battery (with same specs) and swap it out, then reattach the cover.

Jun 1, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #3,172 of 3,173
Changing the battery is easy. Making the bent and broken plastic cover decent looking is not that simple.

I had the same thing happen to my 1st BTR5. I contacted Fiio and they offered to repair/replace for a very reasonable fee (shipping was more than the nominal fee). It took a few months with me shipping my unit back to China, but the unit worked like new when received after the repair. I passed it off to a friend as I'd picked up my Q5s-TC as a replacement while the BTR5 was out for repair. I've since picked up a new BTR5 (2021 version) as I prefer its compact size for on the go.

I still have and use my Q5s-TC but I'm thinking of selling it. The reason is that I now use my Topping DX7 Pro and A90 amp for my listening. Nothing wrong with the Q5s-TC but it would probably be happier with someone who will use it more. Still going back and forth on the sale idea. My hearing is no longer good enough to tell the difference between the ESS and AKM DACs in my gear, so there's not much reason to hold onto it.

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #3,173 of 3,173
I had the same thing happen to my 1st BTR5. I contacted Fiio and they offered to repair/replace for a very reasonable fee (shipping was more than the nominal fee). It took a few months with me shipping my unit back to China, but the unit worked like new when received after the repair. I passed it off to a friend as I'd picked up my Q5s-TC as a replacement while the BTR5 was out for repair. I've since picked up a new BTR5 (2021 version) as I prefer its compact size for on the go.

I still have and use my Q5s-TC but I'm thinking of selling it. The reason is that I now use my Topping DX7 Pro and A90 amp for my listening. Nothing wrong with the Q5s-TC but it would probably be happier with someone who will use it more. Still going back and forth on the sale idea. My hearing is no longer good enough to tell the difference between the ESS and AKM DACs in my gear, so there's not much reason to hold onto it.

And now I'm back to using the Q5s-TC. Glad I didn't sell it as my Topping DX7 Pro just died. Went to lower the volume using the front panel knob and it would only let me increase the volume. I thought it might be a glitch so I powered off and now it won't power back on. I've removed all cables and am leaving power disconnected overnight to bleed off residual charge from capacitors. I'm not very hopeful though as others have experienced the same issue and had to return their unit to China for repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back