[FiiO Q3/Q3 MQA] THX AAA amp technology, 2.5/3.5/4.4mm Output(Good News! Our German Dealer Is Promoting Q3s from May 13 to June 13!)
Oct 9, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #77 of 550
Stack with fiio m9

Attachments

• 20201009_233557.jpg
    20201009_233557.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201009_233541.jpg
    20201009_233541.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201010_051720.jpg
    20201010_051720.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201010_051827.jpg
    20201010_051827.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201010_053134.jpg
    20201010_053134.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Oct 10, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #78 of 550
I too am interested in the Q3 vs Hip-Dac.

Oct 11, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #81 of 550
What is Q3 output impedance from balanced?

Also the specs read "16 to 300 Ohm" - will it not handle a recent crop of low impedance IEMs - 11 Ohm, 9.5 Ohm?

A more general question then: how best to handle those low impedance IEMs?

Oct 12, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #83 of 550
Really pleased to report that I get no hiss or background noise with my CA Solaris. Even on high gain balanced! Currently enjoying my LCD-2Cs through the Q3. Sounds great!

Oct 12, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #84 of 550
Really pleased to report that I get no hiss or background noise with my CA Solaris. Even on high gain balanced! Currently enjoying my LCD-2Cs through the Q3. Sounds great!
Good to know it has the power to handle the LCD-2C.

I’m kind of interested in the Q3 but wonder how it compares to the Q1 MK II, waiting for some more side-by-side comparisons.

Oct 12, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #85 of 550
What is Q3 output impedance from balanced?

Also the specs read "16 to 300 Ohm" - will it not handle a recent crop of low impedance IEMs - 11 Ohm, 9.5 Ohm?

A more general question then: how best to handle those low impedance IEMs?
1602507626355.png

Very high.

Oct 12, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #86 of 550
Here's my review of the Q3 that should hit Amazon soon! A bit long, but hopefully its helpful for anyone looking to purchase.

I ordered the FiiO Q3 only a couple days after its release on AliExpress. Been playing with it for a couple of hours and these are my first impressions. As always, if something changes in my opinion, I'll update right away.

Let's start with the easy. I am in love with the form factor and build quality of the FiiO Q3. It fits nicely in the hand (not that you'd be holding it very often). The metal is nice. The volume knob turns smoothly. The brass finishes give it a little pop. Everything about this dac/amp feels premium. For $150, I'm very pleased with that.

Usage... The FiiO Q3 will not be used for what I was hoping I could use it for. I've got an iPhone 11 Pro which means lightning connector, limited storage, limited bit rate transfer, and AAC codec. I also own the FiiO Q5s and the BTR5. The Q5s is usually overkill for my IEMs - I'm not a particular fan of how it handles them (though it does a great job for my easier to drive headphones). The BTR5 is amazing and I use it for everything IEM related - especially in the gym because of its small form factor and handy little plastic clip case. Problem is, it relies solely on the AAC bluetooth codec to communicate with the iPhone and to connect it via USB to the iPhone you've got to use a lightning camera adapter and a type-C USB cable - its just not worth it. My thinking was, then, that the FiiO Q3 would satisfy a niche for my listening. I'll get the higher quality and that THX amp without sacrificing on portability. Not quite. There is an apparent problem when connecting to my iPhone - I don't know the exact verbiage; but it definitely sounds like some sort of interference. Its painfully obvious during track transitions, but even in quieter moments of a song. Used the included lightning to type-C cable - not good. Used a lightning camera adapter with a standard USB A to C cable - improved, but still moderately noticeable. Maybe its an issue with my phone, but I doubt it because I don't have that issue with the Q5s. So, the Q3 is not going to work for that. But! I still really like it.

The Q3 won't work as a portable solution to be paired with my iPhone, but it does a wonderful job as a USB DAC/amp for my computer. I've got the FX Audio DAC-X6 desk DAC/amp for my full sized headphones (not reviewing that, but if you want a DAC/amp and don't want to pay $$$ get that), but its just too much for my IEMs (understandably so). Again, I could use the Q5s, but I'm not a fan of how it makes my IEMs sound. In walks the Q3 which is exactly what I want when I use IEMs at my computer. Moreover, if I need a portable DAC/amp to use with IEMs on my laptop - this is perfect. AND FiiO finally got it right by putting the cable on the opposite side of the headphone jacks - I thought that was one of the stupidest design flaws of the Q5s.

I'm not going to go super in-depth on the sound signature of the Q3 because it varies so heavily with personal listening tastes and type of headphones/IEMs used. I will say this - this is definitely a DAC/amp to be used with IEMs. Even my easy to drive headphones like my AKG K553s and Sony MDR-1AM2s didn't sound good on it. The Q3 had not problem driving them to listenable levels, but they just lacked a certain fullness and umpht that the DAC-X6 and Q5s delivers on. So, if you're looking at this for full sized headphones, I'd probably recommend not - maybe check out XDuoo's XD-05 (plus or basic) for that. IEMs though. I love this device. I've primarily just listened with my KZ ZAX and IkkO OH-10s and I love the sound signature. It's detailed, its clean, it has fullness and warmth to it - I just love listening with the Q3.

Both the gain and bass boost are gentle in their boost. I can bump the gain to high and there's a slight increase in volume. Turning the bass boost on is actually quite nice. Normally, I stay clear of any bass boost on devices like this because it just murders the sound signature. But this bass boost is different - it doesn't muddle into the mids and highs. The ability to turn on/off charging is also a really nice touch for when you want to go portable but don't want it draining the battery of your device.

Should you get the new Q3? It depends. If you're looking for a way to drive full-sized headphones portably - probably not; get the XDuoo XD-05 Basic (which is $140 right now with an optional bluetooth attachment that retails for $58). If you're looking at the Q3 to pair with your iPhone for portable HiFi listening - again, can't recommend it; I'd say get the BTR5 ($110). Even with the AAC bluetooth codec, you get a phenomenal listening experience from the BTR5. If you're looking at the Q3 to pair with an Android based phone - I still probably would have a hard time recommending it. I don't have an android to try it with. With most new android based phones you get the LDAC codec which is such a great form of bluetooth that I'd still go BTR5. If you want something to connect to your computer for permanent use, in an office setting, using a laptop at a coffee shop, whatever (and you're using IEMs), the Q3 is the device you want. The BTR5 does have a USB DAC-amp option, but the Q3 does a better job of it.

All in all, the Q3 is a great device. Its not perfect. Its not going to be my all around go-to because it is limited in its use. Basically, its perfect for running IEMs on a computer/laptop (maybe even an iPad). I do enjoy the sound signature a lot - honestly, more than the BTR5 (which I didn't think was possible). Had FiiO put bluetooth into this - this would have been my go-to IEM device, no question. Unfortunately - they didn't, so opportunity missed. Either way, I recommend the Q3 (provided it satisfies that niche you're looking for) because it is a great device.

Oct 12, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #88 of 550
@pjones5 What about 2.5, 4.4 when used with balanced cables for easy to drive headphones?

Here's my review of the Q3 that should hit Amazon soon! A bit long, but hopefully its helpful for anyone looking to purchase.

I ordered the FiiO Q3 only a couple days after its release on AliExpress. Been playing with it for a couple of hours and these are my first impressions. As always, if something changes in my opinion, I'll update right away.

Let's start with the easy. I am in love with the form factor and build quality of the FiiO Q3. It fits nicely in the hand (not that you'd be holding it very often). The metal is nice. The volume knob turns smoothly. The brass finishes give it a little pop. Everything about this dac/amp feels premium. For $150, I'm very pleased with that.

Usage... The FiiO Q3 will not be used for what I was hoping I could use it for. I've got an iPhone 11 Pro which means lightning connector, limited storage, limited bit rate transfer, and AAC codec. I also own the FiiO Q5s and the BTR5. The Q5s is usually overkill for my IEMs - I'm not a particular fan of how it handles them (though it does a great job for my easier to drive headphones). The BTR5 is amazing and I use it for everything IEM related - especially in the gym because of its small form factor and handy little plastic clip case. Problem is, it relies solely on the AAC bluetooth codec to communicate with the iPhone and to connect it via USB to the iPhone you've got to use a lightning camera adapter and a type-C USB cable - its just not worth it. My thinking was, then, that the FiiO Q3 would satisfy a niche for my listening. I'll get the higher quality and that THX amp without sacrificing on portability. Not quite. There is an apparent problem when connecting to my iPhone - I don't know the exact verbiage; but it definitely sounds like some sort of interference. Its painfully obvious during track transitions, but even in quieter moments of a song. Used the included lightning to type-C cable - not good. Used a lightning camera adapter with a standard USB A to C cable - improved, but still moderately noticeable. Maybe its an issue with my phone, but I doubt it because I don't have that issue with the Q5s. So, the Q3 is not going to work for that. But! I still really like it.

The Q3 won't work as a portable solution to be paired with my iPhone, but it does a wonderful job as a USB DAC/amp for my computer. I've got the FX Audio DAC-X6 desk DAC/amp for my full sized headphones (not reviewing that, but if you want a DAC/amp and don't want to pay $$$ get that), but its just too much for my IEMs (understandably so). Again, I could use the Q5s, but I'm not a fan of how it makes my IEMs sound. In walks the Q3 which is exactly what I want when I use IEMs at my computer. Moreover, if I need a portable DAC/amp to use with IEMs on my laptop - this is perfect. AND FiiO finally got it right by putting the cable on the opposite side of the headphone jacks - I thought that was one of the stupidest design flaws of the Q5s.

I'm not going to go super in-depth on the sound signature of the Q3 because it varies so heavily with personal listening tastes and type of headphones/IEMs used. I will say this - this is definitely a DAC/amp to be used with IEMs. Even my easy to drive headphones like my AKG K553s and Sony MDR-1AM2s didn't sound good on it. The Q3 had not problem driving them to listenable levels, but they just lacked a certain fullness and umpht that the DAC-X6 and Q5s delivers on. So, if you're looking at this for full sized headphones, I'd probably recommend not - maybe check out XDuoo's XD-05 (plus or basic) for that. IEMs though. I love this device. I've primarily just listened with my KZ ZAX and IkkO OH-10s and I love the sound signature. It's detailed, its clean, it has fullness and warmth to it - I just love listening with the Q3.

Both the gain and bass boost are gentle in their boost. I can bump the gain to high and there's a slight increase in volume. Turning the bass boost on is actually quite nice. Normally, I stay clear of any bass boost on devices like this because it just murders the sound signature. But this bass boost is different - it doesn't muddle into the mids and highs. The ability to turn on/off charging is also a really nice touch for when you want to go portable but don't want it draining the battery of your device.

Should you get the new Q3? It depends. If you're looking for a way to drive full-sized headphones portably - probably not; get the XDuoo XD-05 Basic (which is $140 right now with an optional bluetooth attachment that retails for $58). If you're looking at the Q3 to pair with your iPhone for portable HiFi listening - again, can't recommend it; I'd say get the BTR5 ($110). Even with the AAC bluetooth codec, you get a phenomenal listening experience from the BTR5. If you're looking at the Q3 to pair with an Android based phone - I still probably would have a hard time recommending it. I don't have an android to try it with. With most new android based phones you get the LDAC codec which is such a great form of bluetooth that I'd still go BTR5. If you want something to connect to your computer for permanent use, in an office setting, using a laptop at a coffee shop, whatever (and you're using IEMs), the Q3 is the device you want. The BTR5 does have a USB DAC-amp option, but the Q3 does a better job of it.

All in all, the Q3 is a great device. Its not perfect. Its not going to be my all around go-to because it is limited in its use. Basically, its perfect for running IEMs on a computer/laptop (maybe even an iPad). I do enjoy the sound signature a lot - honestly, more than the BTR5 (which I didn't think was possible). Had FiiO put bluetooth into this - this would have been my go-to IEM device, no question. Unfortunately - they didn't, so opportunity missed. Either way, I recommend the Q3 (provided it satisfies that niche you're looking for) because it is a great device.

Quick update... the Apple branded CCK lightning camera adapter with the included type-C cable does the trick for running with an iPhone. No noticeable interference with that.

Oct 12, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #90 of 550
@pjones5 What about 2.5, 4.4 when used with balanced cables for easy to drive headphones?

I ran the MDR-1AM2s with Sony's 4.4mm balanced cable and I wasn't a fan.

I would recommend the Q3, but I would not expect it to drive all full-sized headphones well. BUT, it might...
Here's the list of headphones I've got and have been playing around with:
MDR-7506
MDR-1AM2
AKG K553 MII
HD6XX
HE4XX

and I listen to just about everything with the exception of hard rock and heavy metal. With the Q3, there are some combinations of headphones/songs that I really truly like. For instance, I listened to Rodrigo y Gabriella (a lively, fast-paced, rhythmic Spanish guitar duo) on my 7506s and it sounded amazing - probably my favorite yet. But then I take the 7506s and I listen to The Cranberries and I go "Yikes, don't like that". So, when it comes to full-sized headphones, I either really really like what the Q3 is doing or I really hate it. Which, in a way, is sort of fun because it opens the door for a new exploration of different tastes/combos, right?

Now, again, this isn't the case for my IEMs. I'm using my iKKO OH-1s, KZ ZAX, KBear Diamonds and I've been a fan of 98% of what I've listened to. I believe my KZ ZAXs are the most sensitive IEMs I own; there is a bit of a hiss, but it's not overwhelmingly present. The OH-1s, less so. KBear Diamonds - I've got to really strain to hear it. I have to try my ZSXs and AKG N40s. Take note though, all of my IEMs are on the mid-range level so if you're looking for comments for IEMs that are way up there in price, I'm not your guy.

Right now, my biggest complaints with the Q3 is 1) This is a big one, no bluetooth. I'll get by without it and I think most people will, but FiiO missed an opportunity. If the Q3 had bluetooth, it probably would have dethroned the BTR5 as my go to IEM device. 2) The included lightning to USB-C cable is cheap. I don't know where the rule book is, but someone needs to look and see why FiiO can't do a cable with a lightning connector that has a 90 degree elbow. FiiO's upgrade cable for the Q5s that does micro-USB to type-C would have been the ideal in this situation. It's got 90 degree elbows, aluminum housing, its short and it sort of folds over on itself when you stack the devices. When you stick it in your pocket, you can forget about it. Not with the included lightning to type-C though. I'm definitely nervous that I will snag this cord in my pocket and snap the lightning connector (because if there was ever a connector that would snap, it would be the lightning). Given the Q3s design as well you're forced to either put the Q3 in headphone jack first or power adapter first. I like this design alot, so I'm not harking on that, but I'm not going to put my 3.5mm jack in first and the included lightning cable definitely isn't going in first - so what can I do with that? And, as I mentioned, it does weird things to the sound (maybe I got a bum cord). So, if you're going to run it with an iPhone (and this only applies to iPhone users), I recommend just ditching that cable, getting a lightning camera adapter (preferably made by Apple or a brand you know works well), and a short USB-C cable. It won't fit in your pocket perfectly, but you hit a point where there's so much cord that you can actually loop it and create a sort of bumper so it'll just work all around better than what FiiO has provided.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back