[FiiO Q3/Q3 MQA] THX AAA amp technology, 2.5/3.5/4.4mm Output(Good News! Our German Dealer Is Promoting Q3s from May 13 to June 13!)
Jan 10, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #228 of 554
Q3 ❤

1610273389864-01.jpg

IMG-20201228-223615.jpg

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #230 of 554
Hello friends, longtime visitor, first time posting as I have just recently made a few new purchases, the primary being this Q3. I have quite a few questions, and I apologize for my relatively elementary understanding or lack thereof, I appreciate your help and patience.

My primary use of this product will be with my Macbook Air M1 laptop, playing FLAC files from the Vox application. I am open to recommendations for superior applications to play FLAC files if you have them, but I recognize that topic is not what this thread is for.

I intend to connect my Q3 to my MacBook Air via the Thunderbolt port (USB C) (USB 4).

The USB C to USB C cable that came with the Q3 is quite short and I would like to replace it with one that is about 2 feet length.

I am wondering about what cable to purchase and am curious about how the notation that the USB C to USB C that was included with the Q3 must be plugged in with specific directionality affects this decision. (Is this the result of the cable being passive v. active)?

Some of the factors that I am considering:

I appreciate having the functionality of the MacBook Air charging the Q3 if I desire. I understand I can make that selection the Q3 unit.

I am wondering what cable offers the data transfer that I will need to play 24/192 FLAC via Vox, as well as the charging capability that I mentioned above, at minimum, and if there are advantages to upgrading to more advanced cables.

I have found the following choices and I'm not sure which is the very best for my intended use, and I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Options are:

Thunderbolt 4 to Thunderbolt 4 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QL2R7Z3/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2FQ9N6DCGCRDZ&psc=1
Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 3 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SFXCF1N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1AMUYYA3CT6HJ&psc=1
USB C to USB C https://www.amazon.com/CalDigit-USB...ds=caldigit+cable+usb+c&qid=1611010573&sr=8-3

Thank you in advance, I'm happy to be here with you all.

Also, in case you are wondering, I intend to listen through a pair of Beyer 770 Pro 250ohm, via the 3.5mm connected cable.

Hope this message finds you all well and enjoying the day/night. Thank you!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #231 of 554
Hello friends, longtime visitor, first time posting as I have just recently made a few new purchases, the primary being this Q3. I have quite a few questions, and I apologize for my relatively elementary understanding or lack thereof, I appreciate your help and patience.

My primary use of this product will be with my Macbook Air M1 laptop, playing FLAC files from the Vox application. I am open to recommendations for superior applications to play FLAC files if you have them, but I recognize that topic is not what this thread is for.

I intend to connect my Q3 to my MacBook Air via the Thunderbolt port (USB C) (USB 4).

The USB C to USB C cable that came with the Q3 is quite short and I would like to replace it with one that is about 2 feet length.

I am wondering about what cable to purchase and am curious about how the notation that the USB C to USB C that was included with the Q3 must be plugged in with specific directionality affects this decision. (Is this the result of the cable being passive v. active)?

I appreciate having the functionality of the MacBook Air charging the Q3 if I desire. I understand I can make that selection the Q3 unit.

I am wondering what cable offers the data transfer that I will need to play 24/192 FLAC via Vox, as well as the charging capability that I mentioned above, at minimum, and if there are advantages to upgrading to more advanced cables.

I have found the following choices and I'm not sure which is the very best for my intended use, and I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Options are:

Thunderbolt 4 to Thunderbolt 4 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QL2R7Z3/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2FQ9N6DCGCRDZ&psc=1
Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 3 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SFXCF1N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1AMUYYA3CT6HJ&psc=1
USB C to USB C https://www.amazon.com/CalDigit-USB...ds=caldigit+cable+usb+c&qid=1611010573&sr=8-3

Also, in case you are wondering, I intend to listen through a pair of Beyer 770 Pro 250ohm, via the 3.5mm connected cable.

I believe any of the aforementioned Type-C to Type-C cables will work fine with the Q3. Cables only really get to be an issue when it comes to phones and tablets. For instance, the included Type-C cable to lightning works with my phone, but any other Type-C to lightning cable won’t (it has to be OTG). Most Type-C cables, even the cheap ones, have transfer capabilities well beyond what FLAC files would require.

Jan 18, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #232 of 554
I believe any of the aforementioned Type-C to Type-C cables will work fine with the Q3. Cables only really get to be an issue when it comes to phones and tablets. For instance, the included Type-C cable to lightning works with my phone, but any other Type-C to lightning cable won’t (it has to be OTG). Most Type-C cables, even the cheap ones, have transfer capabilities well beyond what FLAC files would require.

Thank you for your input pjones5, I greatly appreciate this.

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #233 of 554

Options are:

if you plan to used to PC or desktop computer i recommend to used USB with ferrite magnet to reduce amount of electrical noise since Q3 slightly pick up my MBP noise with standard usb cable 😊 ( especially with very sensitive iem and you Mac attached to power cord )

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #234 of 554
if you plan to used to PC or desktop computer i recommend to used USB with ferrite magnet to reduce amount of electrical noise since Q3 slightly pick up my MBP noise with standard usb cable 😊 ( especially with very sensitive iem and you Mac attached to power cord )
Thank you Chichaphile, I'll consider that if I run across any noise. I may use my IEM which are Linsoul BLON BL 01, but I don't believe they are very sensitive. I also don't think that my Beyer 770 Pro 250ohm are very sensitive. Realistically, I don't think that my ears are very sensitive either as I've been to a lot of loud rock and roll concerts. Furthermore, this MacBook Air M1's battery life has been so excellent, and I hope it continues, so that I will do most of my listening without it plugged into a wall.

As I stated in my initial post, I'm learning as I go, so if I am mistaken or anyone has any further input, I greatly appreciate it. I am quite excited to take this leap with my audio playback system by introducing this Q3.

Thanks again for the response(s).

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #235 of 554
Hi again, So I'm figuring some things out and have of course developed more questions - would you say it's expected/normal behavior that my iPhone 7 (running Onkyo HF Player)>Q3>Beyer 770pro is much more powerful sounding / volume is louder than my MacBook Air (running Vox flac player)>Q3>Beyer 770pro? I'm totally loving this iPhone chain, while the MacBook Air as a source is a bit underwhelming. I feel like perhaps I'm not getting all the power that the MacBook is capable of, and would appreciate any input or suggestions. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #236 of 554
Hi again, So I'm figuring some things out and have of course developed more questions - would you say it's expected/normal behavior that my iPhone 7 (running Onkyo HF Player)>Q3>Beyer 770pro is much more powerful sounding / volume is louder than my MacBook Air (running Vox flac player)>Q3>Beyer 770pro? I'm totally loving this iPhone chain, while the MacBook Air as a source is a bit underwhelming. I feel like perhaps I'm not getting all the power that the MacBook is capable of, and would appreciate any input or suggestions. Thanks again.
That's something called bit perfect if i am not mistaken. The Onkyo HF player can do that, same as USB Player Pro and Neutron music player for Android for example. It's not MacBook fault. Its just the software.

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #237 of 554
@FiiO

I have a really hard time connecting the Q3 to my iPhone 6. I tried three different lightning to usb-c cables by now. Original apple cable, Anker Powerline+ and some cheap no name cable. My iPhone wont recognize the Q3 with none of them. It works perfectly with the small stock cable it came with. Whats that about?

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #238 of 554
@FiiO

I have a really hard time connecting the Q3 to my iPhone 6. I tried three different lightning to usb-c cables by now. Original apple cable, Anker Powerline+ and some cheap no name cable. My iPhone wont recognize the Q3 with none of them. It works perfectly with the small stock cable it came with. Whats that about?
If not using the stock Q3 iPhone cable then you will need the apple lightning to usb dongle for normal cables to recognize the Q3 and most portable DAC/amps.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #239 of 554
Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #240 of 554
Thank you mate. That saves me a lot of frustration. I will just get a new android phone with usb-c instead. All this crap Apple has given me with their bull lightning adapters has to stop :wink:
I can understand that haha If you decided to stick with iPhones then pick up this since it has a much better and smaller foot print than the official apple stuff. I can confirm it works with all my portable stuff like just like the offical apple adapter.

https://www.linsoul.com/products/ddhifi-tc28i?variant=37237562835099

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back