FiiO Q1MKII- Native DSD Support, XMOS USB DAC chip, DAC AK4452, 20 hours
Feb 8, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #451 of 834
Following up on this. I tried gaming with the Q1 M2. Played PUBG. Perfectly acceptable but doesn’t compare to a dedicated gaming sound card, IMO. Spatial cues are accurate but just not as clear and present. It’s a good option for a gaming laptop (which I don’t have).

Hey mate, thanks for your feedback on this. I actually use the Q1ii with my old XMG gaming laptop and its a great improvement over the built in Realtek sound chip. Better resolution, more spacious sound, improved definition and just overall a completely different presentation. Also, I received my Sennheiser PC37x today that I bought from someone on eBay for like £60 which is a bargain in my eyes considering they're basically Game Ones without the fancy styling. They also sound almost exactly like the old PC360 G4ME that I had with the rubber cable.

Music out of the Q1ii and Sennheiser PC37x sounds good, although I can't stop thinking they might be better paired with something less smooth. Like a Dragonfly or something, ESS related. I use my laptop for literally everything, music listening, music production / DJ'ing + playing games and competitive games occasionally, watching films. So that's why the PC37x is perfect for me in that regard, there really isn't anything else in this price range that comes close to the versatility and comfort of this headset. In fact the only thing I can think of is the ATH ADG1x which cost like £300.

Sorry this post was a bit OT.

Feb 8, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #452 of 834
I've been following the power draw debate (Q1 / Android). I don't have an Android phone, but I wonder if the Sony NW-A35 (or A45) as a transport route to Q1 (using the FIIO L27 WM-Port cable) would not draw power from the host ? If the Q1 doesn't draw power from the A35, this seems to me a relatively inexpensive transport solution ($150) and good battery. Any thoughts ?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #453 of 834
I've been following the power draw debate (Q1 / Android). I don't have an Android phone, but I wonder if the Sony NW-A35 (or A45) as a transport route to Q1 (using the FIIO L27 WM-Port cable) would not draw power from the host ? If the Q1 doesn't draw power from the A35, this seems to me a relatively inexpensive transport solution ($150) and good battery. Any thoughts ?

Not sure about the power draw, but with that setup I am now toting a phone, a DAP and a DAC/Amp, and I am $218 lighter from buying the Sony. The Q1M2 itself is under $100 and spending over $200 to get it to function by adding another peice of equipment seems counterproductive.

Personally I returned my Q1M2 and bought a Cayin N3 ($149 including leather case) that I control with my phone (Galaxy S7) using the HiBy app. VERY convenient and sounds great to me for the money.
I will miss the Q1M2 balanced balanced output but in this price range of $225 all in for the DAP and IEMs, I am pretty happy with the Cayin and FH1.
If Fiio had solved the Android OTG issue I would have kept the Q1M2, no doubt.

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #455 of 834
@FLymon ... thank-you. Yes, I can see that my suggestion wouldn't have made sense for you. I'm starting from scratch so have a bit of leeway in my thinking.

Q1mkII with L27 doesn't draw power from the Sony NW-A35. I'm Super happy with this setup, excellent battery life :thumbsup:

That's good news ... would you say that the Q1 is an reasonable improvement over the A35's sound (to your ears) ? The A-35 is almost the same size as the Q1 and I guess would stack neatly.

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #456 of 834
I've been trying out headphone pairings with the Q1 Mkii ... I already have the AEON in my main system and tried them with the Q1 ... it drives them very well in lo-gain with power left to spare and the sound is perfectly acceptable within the limitations of the Q1. Of course I wouldn't suggest people rush out to buy a $800 pair of headphones to use with the $99 Q1 but if you already have them it's a good pairing for use as a transportable setup.

Feb 8, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #458 of 834
I've been trying out headphone pairings with the Q1 Mkii ... I already have the AEON in my main system and tried them with the Q1 ... it drives them very well in lo-gain with power left to spare and the sound is perfectly acceptable within the limitations of the Q1. Of course I wouldn't suggest people rush out to buy a $800 pair of headphones to use with the $99 Q1 but if you already have them it's a good pairing for use as a transportable setup.

This kind of makes me want to try the Q1mk2 with ZMF Ori, but as mine was bought used and terminated in RSA, I'd need to find an adapter to 2.5mm, which I've been wanting for awhile anyways. Maybe it's time to start searching.

Feb 9, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #459 of 834
Feb 9, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #460 of 834
Anyone thinks the new Topping NX4DSD looks like a copy of the Q1ii?

Interesting ... slightly bigger than the Q1 MkII but more powerful and low output impedance.

Feb 9, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #462 of 834
Anyone thinks the new Topping NX4DSD looks like a copy of the Q1ii?

http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/nx4dsd/index.htm

PS. I haven't compared the internals yet, but the amp section looks more powerful than the Q1ii.
Yeah, they are very similar. Usb power and Usb dac use different ports. Probably the charging circuit for the battery is separate and it's a good thing.
The origin of these chips look strange, with a brief search i can't find the schematics. Anyway I've always found Topping's product specs a little bit shady.

Feb 9, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #463 of 834
Interesting ... slightly bigger than the Q1 MkII but more powerful and low output impedance.

Yeah it's around the same price as well.

It looks similar to preious Topping amps to me.

Yeah it's based on the NX4 which already looked similar tbh.

Yeah, they are very similar. Usb power and Usb dac use different ports. Probably the charging circuit for the battery is separate and it's a good thing.
The origin of these chips look strange, with a brief search i can't find the schematics. Anyway I've always found Topping's product specs a little bit shady.

Same thing put me off getting one previously. They have an extremely good form factor but was never sure about the internals, even though all the numbers seem positive.

Feb 10, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #465 of 834
@WilcoRoger ... that does look neat ! I notice the rubber strap rests on the power button on the A35 ... hopefully this doesn't affect (activate) it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back