FiiO Q1MKII- Native DSD Support, XMOS USB DAC chip, DAC AK4452, 20 hours
Feb 24, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #481 of 834
Since there is a FIIO rep in here I wanted to make sure before before pulling the trigger with my iPhone 7 about some people saying I’m amazon reviews that when listening to music on some apps the music pauses when you lock the screen and I want to make sure this isn’t the case for streaming Spotify on the go because this product looks amazing at a fair price
Dear friend,

According to our test, we did not meet that issue. May need to confirm more operation from the reviewer instead. If there are local store in your city, you could have a try.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 26, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #482 of 834
S8 user here.

Bought and tried. No luck with the Samsung usb c to micro b converter. But I've read that the supplied samsung converter isn't OTG compatible. But the larger usb c to usb A is. So hopefully something like this could work
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio...b-to-micro-usb-cable-0-15-m-10156047-pdt.html

Did some rummaging in my cupboards and found a unbranded USB to micro B cable. While rather unsightly it works. No dreaded red light!

So the question to whether you can use the Fiio Q1 ii on a Samsung S8 ? Yes.

I had a couple of issues.

With different USB C to Micro B (even those supposed to have the host end on the type C end) and with the S8 OTG adaptor, the Q1mkii still charged from the S8.
The other issue was that it took some time for the phone to recognize that the Q1mii was attached and I wasnt paying attention so I ended up blasting music for a bit. I haven't had this issues with the Dacmagic XS (usb 2.0 mode) or the DFR.

Apart from this, especially for the price, this little thing is a marvel. Unfortunately, I'd bought this for travel use only (flights and hotels) so I don't think I'll end up keeping it.

Edit: after a bit of fiddling around, I managed to get it working with an amazon basics cable and the shanling l2 cable without discharging (or too quickly discharging) my phone. In any case, no mroe red or purple! I had to bring hte music app is focus, connect, turn on the Q1mii and voila!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #484 of 834
I bought the FIIO Q1 MKII 2 weeks ago and have been testing the heck out of it with my iPad Pro and my iPhone SE.
Headpones are Sennheiser Momentum 2 over ear.

With the iPad Pro I get a very clear sound improvement. I am no reviewer, but I'd describe it as opening up, clearer, better separation of instruments, more details. Just what I expected.
However, using the iPhone SE as source, the sound is significantly worse compared to using the iPad. Basically the differences between the iPad Pro analog out and the iPhone SE analog are still there, with the FIIO in between.
The files in both devices are the same.

I was very much aware of the differences between the sound of the iPhone and iPad, and my expectations were that by using the FIIO Q1 MK2 I would eliminate the differences between iPad and iPhone and get a sound with either source that's better than the iPad analog out. I am getting it from the iPad, but not from the iPhone.

My goal was to stack the FIIO with the iPhone SE to get a great sounding portable solution.

If I can't get that I'll have to return the FIIO.

Any idea what could be going on here, and what I could do to make the iPhone SE work in the same way as the iPad?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #485 of 834
I bought the FIIO Q1 MKII 2 weeks ago and have been testing the heck out of it with my iPad Pro and my iPhone SE.

With the iPad Pro I get a very clear sound improvement. I am no reviewer, but I'd describe it as opening up, clearer, better separation of instruments, more details. Just what I expected.
However, using the iPhone SE as source, the sound is significantly worse compared to using the iPad. Basically the differences between the iPad Pro analog out and the iPhone SE analog are still there, with the FIIO in between.

I was very much aware of the differences between the sound of the iPhone and iPad, and my expectations were that by using the FIIO Q1 MK2 I would eliminate the differences between iPad and iPhone and get a sound with either source that's better than the iPad analog out. I am getting it from the iPad, but not from the iPhone.

My goal was to stack the FIIO with the iPhone SE to get a great sounding portable solution.

Any idea what could be going on here, and what I could do to make the iPhone SE work in the same way as the iPad?
Dear friend,

Via usb connection, right? Maybe the iPhone SE doesn't have nice output like the iPad work. :triportsad:

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 27, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #486 of 834
Feb 27, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #487 of 834

I’m assuming you are using the digital out from both the iPad and iPhone. If you are doing this, the output must be the same in both cases. You are using the DAC of the Q1ii with a digital input - so it can’t be any different. If I use my iPad Mini and compare with my iPhone SE (both using the Q1ii via digital) they sound identical. Suggest retesting.

Feb 27, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #488 of 834
I’m assuming you are using the digital out from both the iPad and iPhone. If you are doing this, the output must be the same in both cases. You are using the DAC of the Q1ii with a digital input - so it can’t be any different. If I use my iPad Mini and compare with my iPhone SE (both using the Q1ii via digital) they sound identical. Suggest retesting.

Thanks Brooko!
Well, I assume that I am getting digital out from the iPad and the iPhone, but I have not found any way to know for sure.
I am connecting the FIIO Q1 with the included lightning cable to the iPad / iPhone.
Once the IOS has recognised the FIIO, the playback window of iTunes changes - the volume slider becomes inactive (no selector button)

Did I miss anything? I could not find any information about changing settings or anything like that.

Cheers, George

Feb 28, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #489 of 834
Yep - that means it is using the Q1iis DAC. So theoretically output is the same. Sounds the same on my gear anyway.

Feb 28, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #490 of 834
Yep - that means it is using the Q1iis DAC. So theoretically output is the same. Sounds the same on my gear anyway.
Thanks again, Brooko!
The dealer has offered taking back the FIIO, and I will take this option.
Besides the SQ issue the FIIO is also loosing connection with the iOS device when moving it or touching the cable.
I'm looking at a Shanling M3s or Cayin N5ii DAP instead, yes, more money, but more possibilties as well...

Cheers, Georg

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #491 of 834
I have several amp/dac in my possession now and after a long frustrating day of everything doing some things but not others...this is the only balanced DSD amp dac that works all the time in the ways I want and has a tiny footprint.

I had a ranking of what I liked and this came along and reminded me of the not broke don't fix.
I wanted balanced...I wanted DSD native, I had it all already. 2018 and the cable hunting non cross use of cables and everything is ridiculous...RIDICULOUS

Feb 28, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #492 of 834
I have several amp/dac in my possession now and after a long frustrating day of everything doing some things but not others...this is the only balanced DSD amp dac that works all the time in the ways I want and has a tiny footprint.

I had a ranking of what I liked and this came along and reminded me of the not broke don't fix.
I wanted balanced...I wanted DSD native, I had it all already. 2018 and the cable hunting non cross use of cables and everything is ridiculous...RIDICULOUS

I agree, recently the iDSD nano BL has been tempting me, but I keep looking at the pictures of iDSD and then back at the Q1ii. To me the Q1ii just looks tiny compared to the iDSD and pretty much everything else I've looked at.

So I just keep asking myself everytime I go near that Buy button - "what's the point?". I already have what I needed, and for half the price...

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #493 of 834

so does the Q5 falls behind Q1mk2 just in the footprint deparment or there is more to it?

Feb 28, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #494 of 834
Q5 is brilliant. Yes bigger footprint - but for that you get a step-up in power + the Bluetooth is handy if you use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back