FiiO Q1MKII- Native DSD Support, XMOS USB DAC chip, DAC AK4452, 20 hours
Oct 4, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #166 of 834
Gah, so it arrived yesterday and of course I didn't think about the fact that I'd need a type c to type c wire to connect to my android devices. The dac/amp in balanced mode with the F9 sounded really good through my Windows computer, running TIDAL hifi. Today I'll spend some time using the amp only with the line out function connected to my phone.

My only concern is that I might run into an issue with my android devices not connecting to the Q1M2 because of power requirements, but we'll see.

Oct 4, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #167 of 834
Doesn't make sense to conserve power when you're plugged into a PC. Only time I'd rather power Q1 from onboard battery is when I'm on a cellphone.

There's no way for the device to know what it's plugged in to, though. That's not how the USB spec works :wink:

Oh, and I should have mentioned that the host volume control works in Windows and Android, just not Mac/iOS. It has something to do with the chip they put in the thing to get it MFi certification probably. It identifies as a DAC with its own volume control. Windows/Android won't read that chip.

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #168 of 834
Can this be used as a charger for an iPhone (like the Oppo HA-2SE)?

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #169 of 834
So after using it a bit more, this time strapped to the back of my phone, I'm getting some really bad interference from the cell/wifi radios. Extremely noticeable, and i'm even picking it up with the DAC totally disconnected from the phone. No interference at all with the DAC sitting on my desk next to the phone - this is only with it strapped to the back of my Pixel XL.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #170 of 834
So after using it a bit more, this time strapped to the back of my phone, I'm getting some really bad interference from the cell/wifi radios. Extremely noticeable, and i'm even picking it up with the DAC totally disconnected from the phone. No interference at all with the DAC sitting on my desk next to the phone - this is only with it strapped to the back of my Pixel XL.

What cable are you using to connect the phone to the Q1?

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #171 of 834
What cable are you using to connect the phone to the Q1?

This is with the USB - Micro USB cable that comes with the DAC, and the USB-C OTG adapter that came with the phone, and also a custom USB-C - Micro USB cable. I've tried a bunch of different cables - but I get the interference even with the DAC completely disconnected from the phone.

Oct 7, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #172 of 834
When the Q1MKII is strapped to the back of the phone and keeping very close to the antenna of the phone, an interference may appear. You can try turn back the Q1MKII for facing the phone or add a silicon pad comes with the Q1MKII between them in order to keep larger distance to see if it helps?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 7, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #173 of 834
Gah, so it arrived yesterday and of course I didn't think about the fact that I'd need a type c to type c wire to connect to my android devices. The dac/amp in balanced mode with the F9 sounded really good through my Windows computer, running TIDAL hifi. Today I'll spend some time using the amp only with the line out function connected to my phone.

My only concern is that I might run into an issue with my android devices not connecting to the Q1M2 because of power requirements, but we'll see.

Major bummer, I saw your post then re-checked the first posts by FiiO and realized this will not smoothly integrate with my Note 4.

Hunt for a good balanced backpack for the Note 4 continues :frowning2:

Oct 7, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #174 of 834
This is with the USB - Micro USB cable that comes with the DAC, and the USB-C OTG adapter that came with the phone, and also a custom USB-C - Micro USB cable. I've tried a bunch of different cables - but I get the interference even with the DAC completely disconnected from the phone.

When the Q1MKII is strapped to the back of the phone and keeping very close to the antenna of the phone, an interference may appear. You can try turn back the Q1MKII for facing the phone or add a silicon pad comes with the Q1MKII between them in order to keep larger distance to see if it helps?

Best regards

Not sure if it will work or not but I think I'm going to try an RFI Shielding sheet between the Q1 and my phone if I run into problems, my Q1MkII arrives in the morning :)

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/pcb-prototyping/emi-rfi-shielding-materials/shielding-sheets/

Oct 7, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #175 of 834
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, and I wanted to thank everyone here since the discussion helped me settle on the Q1ii for my first ever portable DAC. I received it yesterday and so far I'm loving it (haven't had much time to play with it on my iPhone 6S yet, but I have a working week coming up :wink:).

Can this be used as a charger for an iPhone (like the Oppo HA-2SE)?
It doesn't power the iPhone. Actually, it's small and light so I think it's good, otherwise you would drain the Q1ii's battery quite fast.

I haven't noticed interference noise for the bit I've been using it on my iPhone 6S so far, and the cellular reception is not that great where I live. First time I'm using an external DAC, and not regretting taking the leap!

Oct 8, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #177 of 834
@FiiO can you confirm the pinout of the balanced out port please? Is it (from tip to sleeve) R- R+ L+ L-
2_5mm TRRS pinout.jpg

Same thing as AK. I know for sure because I converted all my cables.

Oct 8, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #179 of 834

Thanks for reporting this. This is a deal breaker for me and I’ll have to keep waiting for a good budget Balanced option. That’s too bad.

Oct 8, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #180 of 834
Ok, so today I achieved success in getting the Q1Mk2 to connect to my android phone (Blackberry Priv) as a DAC/AMP. I had to use this connector:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NSBVNCM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the right-angle micro USB connected to the phone. The male USB connection is connected to a portable charger. The female USB is accepting the cord from the Q1Mk2. The Q1Mk2 is charging off of the portable charger, so it's not requiring power from the phone. Therefore, it's not triggering the phone's power output limit.

I will charge up a few of the other android devices I have laying around the house to confirm this works with those devices as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back