FiiO Q1MKII- Native DSD Support, XMOS USB DAC chip, DAC AK4452, 20 hours
Feb 14, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #692 of 834
Trying to confirm if the line out bypasses the internal amp so that the signal to an external amp is not double amped. Thanks all!

I think I tried this when I first got the Fiio with my powered bookshelf speakers but I haven't used the Fiio since in this function, so I could be wrong. If I remember correctly, the line out output IS in fact affected by the volume knob. In this case, the Fiio is functioning as a pre-amp. Which may or may not be a good idea depending on your setup.

Example: I have another DAC connected to my powered speakers that was causing severe clipping. Did some measurements with a multimeter (using a 60 Hz and 100 Hz test tone) and the DAC RCA outputs were 2.3 Vrms. The powered speakers only had an input sensitivity of 0.75 Vrms. So I had to get a pre-amp (literally just a volume potentiometer) to stick between the DAC and the speakers to reduce the DAC output to 0.75 Vrms to avoid clipping. The same clipping considerations are true for a standalone amplifier.

So, the fact that the Fiio may be acting as a pre-amp is not a bad thing. As long as you find a good volume setting to not drive your downstream amp into clipping.

Also, link below shows no value for the output voltage of the line level which leads me to believe it's not a fixed output.
https://www.fiio.com/q1mkii_parameters

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #693 of 834
Trying to confirm if the line out bypasses the internal amp so that the signal to an external amp is not double amped. Thanks all!
The line
I think I tried this when I first got the Fiio with my powered bookshelf speakers but I haven't used the Fiio since in this function, so I could be wrong. If I remember correctly, the line out output IS in fact affected by the volume knob. In this case, the Fiio is functioning as a pre-amp. Which may or may not be a good idea depending on your setup.

Example: I have another DAC connected to my powered speakers that was causing severe clipping. Did some measurements with a multimeter (using a 60 Hz and 100 Hz test tone) and the DAC RCA outputs were 2.3 Vrms. The powered speakers only had an input sensitivity of 0.75 Vrms. So I had to get a pre-amp (literally just a volume potentiometer) to stick between the DAC and the speakers to reduce the DAC output to 0.75 Vrms to avoid clipping. The same clipping considerations are true for a standalone amplifier.

So, the fact that the Fiio may be acting as a pre-amp is not a bad thing. As long as you find a good volume setting to not drive your downstream amp into clipping.

Also, link below shows no value for the output voltage of the line level which leads me to believe it's not a fixed output.
https://www.fiio.com/q1mkii_parameters

I can confirm that the line out is variable. Edit: FIIO says the amp is NOT in the line out circuit.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #694 of 834
The line

I can confirm that the line out is variable. I think this usually means the amp is in the circuit.
Dear friend,

The lineout output of the Q1MKII is volume adjustable. But the amplifier module doesn't work in lineout. The volume in lineout is adjusted using the DAC chip instead.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 18, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #695 of 834
Dear friend,

The lineout output of the Q1MKII is volume adjustable. But the amplifier module doesn't work in lineout. The volume in lineout is adjusted using the DAC chip instead.

Best regards

Happy to be corrected! I'll edit my post.
Thanks.

Feb 22, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #696 of 834
What OTG cables are people using for this device on Android? I have 2 different OTG cables that charge the Q1 MK2. (red light) I wish the device had a charge switch like the older Q1.

Tried many cables, even the ebay ones recommended here, all still charged Q1.

I tried the Fii0 CL06 official cable. Not only was it the only cable that didn't charge, but it was also the neatest, most portable solution Made well too

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/23020241454?iid=163087608228

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #697 of 834
Feb 22, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #698 of 834
20190222_191413-01.jpeg
20190222_191433-01.jpeg
20190222_191356-01.jpeg
20190222_191347-01.jpeg
20190222_191332-01.jpeg
I second this!

Never had a bad cable from FiiO tbh. Except maybe the included USB cables.

Yep, FiiO CL06 is the perfect solution for using my Q1ii with my Note 9. And as you can see, not a red or violet light to be seen. Just blue or nothing.

Feb 27, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #699 of 834
Excellent, i'll order one of those cables from Aliexpress :L3000:

Mar 1, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #700 of 834
Yep, FiiO CL06 is the perfect solution for using my Q1ii with my Note 9. And as you can see, not a red or violet light to be seen. Just blue or nothing.

Was looking at picking this up for my Note 8? Is it a good pairing? looking for my newly acquired sony ex800st's and hopefully will be good enough power/pairing for my 6XX's. Thanks!

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #701 of 834
Was looking at picking this up for my Note 8? Is it a good pairing? looking for my newly acquired sony ex800st's and hopefully will be good enough power/pairing for my 6XX's. Thanks!
Like I said, works perfectly for the Note 9 so should work on the 8. I imagine they'd drive the Sony's fine. Don't own the Senn's but they're 300 ohm right? Might struggle to get really loud. I have my FH5's on the balanced output and they are as loud as I need them at about ⅓ volume if that helps.

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #702 of 834

Yeah, the amp might struggle a bit running those single-ended. It has much more power using its balanced output. IDK what's involved in converting those cans to balanced.

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #703 of 834
Like I said, works perfectly for the Note 9 so should work on the 8. I imagine they'd drive the Sony's fine. Don't own the Senn's but they're 300 ohm right? Might struggle to get really loud. I have my FH5's on the balanced output and they are as loud as I need them at about ⅓ volume if that helps.

Yeah, the amp might struggle a bit running those single-ended. It has much more power using its balanced output. IDK what's involved in converting those cans to balanced.

Got it, thanks! Perhaps the Fiio A5 might be better suited, for power at least. Have never taken the plunge on a DAC yet, and very minimal exposure to amps.

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #704 of 834
Got it, thanks! Perhaps the Fiio A5 might be better suited, for power at least. Have never taken the plunge on a DAC yet, and very minimal exposure to amps.
Possibly. Just bear in mind that the A5 is just an amp, so you'll still be relying on the inbuilt dac of the Note 8. And unless Samsung went backwards with their tech, and installed an inferior dac on the 9, which i can't believe, then the Q1's built-in dac will knock the spots of your Note 8 one. It's noticeable on my 9.
So, pros and cons with both ..

Mar 11, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #705 of 834

How come FiiO Q1 Mark II is not advertised as a DAC for android phones?

Here, I would like to make an explanation about the frequently asked question here: Could Q1 Mark II support Android phones?
The answer is YES. During the development, Q1 MKII working with Android phones had been a target of our R&D department. We had run tests with many android phones that were released within these two years including those with Micro USB port and Type-C port. We even opened a mound to produce a batch of dedicated USB cables for this. However, we didn't plan to advertise that Q1 MKII could work with android phones. Some of you might think that it's quite silly not advertising this. But why don't we do that?

<Adaptor cable designed for android phones>

There're two reasons:

1. Uncertainty of system compatibility

In 2013, FiiO released the first DAC&Amp E18 for android phones. Its feature is working as s DAC with android phones. Therefore, we'd spent tons of time on testing and adapting with the android phones on the market. We even had the List of phones E18 supports on our website at the time. And our agents and users voluntarily give us feedback and enrich the list. And after that we would recommend our customers to check the list before buying E18 and thought that this could solve all the problems and no complaints any more.
However, thing is not as simple as we thought. Since the android phone brands, models and system versions are too many and term of validity of the list is short, some phones that could work with E18 before suddenly couldn't work with it after system update. Some phones that couldn't work with E18 suddenly could work with E18 after update. Besides the compatible issue resulting from system, there is also the connection problem. There're two kinds of ports on android phones: Micro USB and Type-C. Some of them could support OTG while some couldn't. And the products coming from the same series of one brand would vary with the launch time.

<E18 using with cellphones>

2. It might cause phones to supply power to Q1MKII
The last thing you wanna see is that the DAC shortens the battery life of your cellphone. Since the USB port definition of android phones are different, some phones would recognize the OTG device then supply power and play music. The battery consumption would be huge for the cellphone. Then you might be in awkward situation: the DAC still has power but your cellphone is out of juice. This would affect your use of cellphone.
The above two problems could be easily solved on iPhone. Since we've used the dedicated chips from Apple, we don't have to worry about the compatibility after firmware update. And the DAC would stop charging when it recognizes the iPhone. Since there're too many android phone brands on the market and there's no unified port definition, we could only make the Q1MKII compatible with some hot-selling models on the market.
Though we had tested Q1 MKII with most of the hot-selling android phones on the market, we don't advertise Q1MKII could support android phones and describe this in the product introduction. We need to be responsible to our users and we don't want this to be a trouble to our users. Meanwhile, we're already working on the scheme for Type-C port in the hope of using dedicated USB cable+FiiO app to achieve digital output. However, we wouldn't advertise this unless we could actually achieve this. Please kindly understand.
-------------------------------------------------------------
PS
Compatibility with Sony DAPs
If you want to use the Q1MKII as a DAC for Sony WM series players, you will have to use the USB adaptor cable from Sony. For example, the WMC-NWH10 sold in Japan. The DIY decoding cable that some MOJO users buy are also upgraded from this adaptor cables by changing the Micro connector.

<SONY WMPort , Adaptor cable WMC-NWH10 for Third-party DAC>
One end is WMPort ,and the other end is USB female connector

As to Sony PHA series DAC, you just need the included cable to use with WM series players. But that cable doesn't work with DACs of other brands, because Sony has restrictions on the cable just like Apple. Of course Sony hopes that WM series player users could buy the PHA series DAC and that's understandable. So if you want to use the Sony WM series players with other brands' DAC, you would need the adaptor cable mentioned above.

Hi there i am interested in buying the FiiO Q1 MK II i read your explanation about the android compatibilty, i want to ask if you have a list of android phones compatible with this device, or at least some overall details that can be useful to get a android phone compatible, i´m not an iphone user the internal storage limitation is a problem for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back