FiiO Q1MKII- Native DSD Support, XMOS USB DAC chip, DAC AK4452, 20 hours
Apr 13, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #556 of 834
Apr 13, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #557 of 834
Compared to using a standard double-sided 3.5mm cable from my Q1 mkII's SE-out, this NewFantasia cable on Amazon produces a significantly more narrow (smaller) sound-stage from the FiiO's balanced-out. I'm using various headphones with 3.5mm input... all with the same result.

FiiO, do you know why this might be happening? NewFantasia assured me that the connector was constructed correctly: R- R+ L+ L-. Could it be that balanced output -to- unbalanced input is not possible without active circuitry?

Also, can the Q1 mkII be firmware-updated? Thanks.
Dear friend,

Are you talking about the sound quanlity? Generally, Banlanced output has higher channel separation and steoro sense.
The Q1MKII doesn't have firmware update.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 14, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #558 of 834
Dear friend,

Are you talking about the sound quanlity? Generally, Banlanced output has higher channel separation and steoro sense.
The Q1MKII doesn't have firmware update.

Best regards

Yes, that's what I was expecting, but the 2.5mm balanced -to- 3.5mm unbalanced cable resulted in a significantly narrower sound-stage from the FiiO Q1 mkII's balanced-out.

FiiO, do you know why this might be happening? If the connector was constructed correctly (R- R+ L+ L-), could it be that balanced-to-unbalanced is not possible without active circuitry?

Apr 14, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #559 of 834
Yes, that's what I was expecting, but the 2.5mm balanced -to- 3.5mm unbalanced cable resulted in a significantly narrower sound-stage from the FiiO Q1 mkII's balanced-out.

FiiO, do you know why this might be happening? If the connector was constructed correctly (R- R+ L+ L-), could it be that balanced-to-unbalanced is not possible without active circuitry?
are you talking about losing soundstage when using the L26?

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #560 of 834
The problem with stuttering on the iPhone is due to the phone’s True Tone setting. Turn off True Tone in Display & Brightness setting and it plays perfectly.

Also does anyone know if you can listen through this on an iPhone and charge at the same time using the Belkin Lightning Audio + Charge Rockstar cable?
I don’t see why it wouldn’t but I’d like some confirmation.

Thanks
I get the stuttering problem as well on my iPhone 7 playing music via Spotify premium and tidal lossless.
I looked at the display and brightness section but do not see anything close to True Tone in there. Are you talking about turning off night shift mode? That changes the color of the screen during nighttime hours to be easier on the eyes I don’t see how it would cause this stuttering I hear that lasts 1-2 seconds usually once sometimes twice per song

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #561 of 834
I get the stuttering problem as well on my iPhone 7 playing music via Spotify premium and tidal lossless.
I looked at the display and brightness section but do not see anything close to True Tone in there. Are you talking about turning off night shift mode? That changes the color of the screen during nighttime hours to be easier on the eyes I don’t see how it would cause this stuttering I hear that lasts 1-2 seconds usually once sometimes twice per song

That setting is only on the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X.

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #563 of 834

Dear friend,

Let confirm you are using 2.5mm balanced port or 3.5 port first?
2.5mm balanced-adpter for 3.5 unbalanced-3.5mm headphone: you could not get the same effect like using banlanced output.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 18, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #564 of 834
Dear friend,

Let confirm you are using 2.5mm balanced port or 3.5 port first?
2.5mm balanced-adpter for 3.5 unbalanced-3.5mm headphone: you could not get the same effect like using banlanced output.

Best regards

As I explained, I wanted to take advantage of the FiiO Q1 mkII 2.5mm balanced-out... to connect to my 3.5mm unbalanced headphones. I knew that I would not get the same effect as using a fully balanced connection, but the cable I used resulted in a significantly narrower sound-stage compared to using a standard 3.5mm cable from the FiiO Q1 mkII unbalanced-out.

I was assured that the 2.5mm connection was constructed correctly (R- R+ L+ L-). Is balanced-to-unbalanced conversion/transmission not possible without active circuitry?

Apr 18, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #566 of 834
As I explained, I wanted to take advantage of the FiiO Q1 mkII 2.5mm balanced-out... to connect to my 3.5mm unbalanced headphones. I knew that I would not get the same effect as using a fully balanced connection, but the cable I used resulted in a significantly narrower sound-stage compared to using a standard 3.5mm cable from the FiiO Q1 mkII unbalanced-out.

I was assured that the 2.5mm connection was constructed correctly (R- R+ L+ L-). Is balanced-to-unbalanced conversion/transmission not possible without active circuitry?

If you are connecting an unbalanced cable to a balanced source you might short circuit the amp. Not a good idea. Garbled sound is the least of your problems. If you have a balanced cabled headphone you can connect it with an adapter to unbalanced output but not the other way around. Balanced output has to always be connected to balanced down the line, otherwise you are combining the different grounds and short circuiting them, which can even damage the amp. Don’t do this. Recable your headphones or buy a balanced cable for them, it’s the only way.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #567 of 834
If you are connecting an unbalanced cable to a balanced source you might short circuit the amp. Not a good idea. Garbled sound is the least of your problems. If you have a balanced cabled headphone you can connect it with an adapter to unbalanced output but not the other way around. Balanced output has to always be connected to balanced down the line, otherwise you are combining the different grounds and short circuiting them, which can even damage the amp. Don’t do this. Recalled your headphones or buy a balanced cable for them, it’s the only way.
+1
Everyone should be careful about using unbalanced cables with a balanced port and i reckon manufacturers should issue a warning in the package for such devices. The result will be a fried up amp.

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #568 of 834
DSD playing like a boss

IMG_20180419_093212.jpg

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #569 of 834
If you are connecting an unbalanced cable to a balanced source you might short circuit the amp. Not a good idea. Garbled sound is the least of your problems. If you have a balanced cabled headphone you can connect it with an adapter to unbalanced output but not the other way around. Balanced output has to always be connected to balanced down the line, otherwise you are combining the different grounds and short circuiting them, which can even damage the amp. Don’t do this. Recable your headphones or buy a balanced cable for them, it’s the only way.

The cable I have was custom-constructed: the end connected to my FiiO Q1 mkII is balanced (TRRS) 2.5mm ; the other end is unbalanced 3.5mm (to connect to my headphones). The sound is listenable, with a much narrower sound-stage compared to using a double-ended 3.5mm cable with the FiiO's unbalanced-out.

Even if the 2.5mm balanced connection was constructed correctly (tip to sleeve: R- R+ L+ L-), is balanced-to-unbalanced conversion possible within a cable?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #570 of 834
The cable I have was custom-constructed: the end connected to my FiiO Q1 mkII is balanced (TRRS) 2.5mm ; the other end is unbalanced 3.5mm (to connect to my headphones). The sound is listenable, with a much narrower sound-stage compared to using a double-ended 3.5mm cable with the FiiO's unbalanced-out.

Even if the 2.5mm balanced connection was constructed correctly (tip to sleeve: R- R+ L+ L-), is balanced-to-unbalanced conversion possible within a cable?

No. Some players have short circuit protection though. But what you are trying to achieve does not work. There is already an unbalanced connector in your device. With any unbalanced equipment that is the one to use. I repeat. Do not use unbalanced equipment on a balanced output.

Edit: whoever created that cable should have told you. It only goes the other way unbalanced to balanced output (though it doesn’t make the signal balanced).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back