FIIO Q15 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #421 of 794

The new firmware v1.82 for Q15 is now available!​

8751905.jpg

Firmware download link and update instruction: Click here
It still a buggy mess - EQ on USB does not work. Sometimes turn on EQ lowers the volume, then turning it off and on increases the volume. In both cases EQ is not applied on USB, Please test firmware releases properly. MQA is off.

There is some major bugs with presets logic - custom1-3 changing between them is making very low volume. Changing the EQ on the custom presets live doesn't do anything, on and off causes low volume and high but not EQ change based on what I've put at all. Changing to default presets such as Hip Hop does change the sound. Please test this section properly, changing between settings, change the eq live - does it reflect the changes, turn it on and off, try edge cases. iPhone App.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #426 of 794

The new firmware v1.82 for Q15 is now available!​

8751905.jpg

Firmware download link and update instruction: Click here
There are indeed bugs in this update.
In 1.66 everything related to Bluetooth on Android Smartphone worked.
In 1.82 it doesn’t save the PEQ settings inside the Fiio Controll App. This was a bug with 1.66 and IPhone, now it’s on Android Phone, which worked before.
In 1.82 you can rename the 3 user EQs but as soon as the Fiio control App is closed it goes back to default name. Also PEQ setting is back to default.
Inside the device the renamed user name is still there not sure if the PEQ setting is saved there.

Motorola G73, Android 13,
Latest Version of Fiio Control App 3.18

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #429 of 794
I hope for everyone's sake that FIIO will soon be able to remove all the problems. I didn't have the patience and that's why I returned it. I don't regret it at all because now I enjoy a beautiful sound with the Pegas R2R dac and everything works on the first try. I'm writing this for those of you looking for a higher end non-amplified desktop version of the dac for more money. It's the first time I've heard R2R, and only now do I understand the vinyl enthusiasts who justify it with a more faithful tonality of sound. I apologize for the inaccurate translation using the translator.

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #430 of 794
I hope for everyone's sake that FIIO will soon be able to remove all the problems. I didn't have the patience and that's why I returned it. I don't regret it at all because now I enjoy a beautiful sound with the Pegas R2R dac and everything works on the first try. I'm writing this for those of you looking for a higher end non-amplified desktop version of the dac for more money. It's the first time I've heard R2R, and only now do I understand the vinyl enthusiasts who justify it with a more faithful tonality of sound. I apologize for the inaccurate translation using the translator.
I feel they have good intentions, but I think they need to urgently invest in their software department - releasing bug riddled firmware after firmware, its almost as if there is no testing or QA for the software cycles.

Getting some good developers and qa, to do Qudelix like software releases, it can be very good for their business - there are only 2 dacs out there which are extremely popular offering flexible eq dsp - rme adi and Qudelix. There is a gaping hole in the mid price dac segment for these kind of dacs, and Fiio can comfortably take it all to themselves now if they just sort their software.

Also - please give us more than just 3 custom eq profiles :wink:

In terms of sound quality - I think the a15 is good with iems - separation and firm bass are defining qualities and nice midrange. Something like a slightly boring Sony IERM7 or M9 come to life and is driven nicely with dynamic bass and expansiveness

Hd800s or that sort need something else - a class, or tube amps - q15 sounds unspectacular with it, but not bad. not surprising

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #431 of 794
Q15 just arrived, time for some initial listening.
Initial impressions are good depending on what I am powering.
Hifiman Sundara Closed - Balanced - Ultra High Gain Desktop mode: They are....nice. I find that they are quite genre dependent, rock and hip-hop are good, female vocal and acoustic also good but bass impact is a bit flat (no eq yet).
Fiio FD3 Pro - Single Ended - High Gain: Good lord, I almost feel the bass in my feet! Good for rock (Royal Republic - Baby, Connor Price - Bankroll). Definitely fun.
More listening to come.
I wonder what the FT3 350 Ohm would be like.

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #434 of 794
I feel they have good intentions, but I think they need to urgently invest in their software department - releasing bug riddled firmware after firmware, its almost as if there is no testing or QA for the software cycles.

Getting some good developers and qa, to do Qudelix like software releases, it can be very good for their business - there are only 2 dacs out there which are extremely popular offering flexible eq dsp - rme adi and Qudelix. There is a gaping hole in the mid price dac segment for these kind of dacs, and Fiio can comfortably take it all to themselves now if they just sort their software.

Also - please give us more than just 3 custom eq profiles :wink:

In terms of sound quality - I think the a15 is good with iems - separation and firm bass are defining qualities and nice midrange. Something like a slightly boring Sony IERM7 or M9 come to life and is driven nicely with dynamic bass and expansiveness

Hd800s or that sort need something else - a class, or tube amps - q15 sounds unspectacular with it, but not bad. not surprising

Perhaps Fiio should concentrate to support their top products with this variety on software features, e.g. only Q7 + Q15 and do it properly.

The Control app supports too many products and perhaps non of them without issues.

Qudelix on the other hand improve their already good software but neglect the hardware part.
Why not upgrade there player with better materials, current dac/amp and a 4.4mm connection?

I don’t know what is worse.

It leaves the customer kind a little frustrated imo.

A Fiio Q15 without bugs, and or a “ifi go blue” like device from Qudelix would be nice.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #435 of 794
Perhaps Fiio should concentrate to support their top products with this variety on software features, e.g. only Q7 + Q15 and do it properly.

The Control app supports too many products and perhaps non of them without issues.

Qudelix on the other hand improve their already good software but neglect the hardware part.
Why not upgrade there player with better materials, current dac/amp and a 4.4mm connection?

I don’t know what is worse.

It leaves the customer kind a little frustrated imo.

A fiio Q15 without bugs.

A ifi go blue with qudelix software.

And or a Mojo with High Res Bluetooth feature would be nice 😀 (and only usb-c).

I just need a somewhat usable eq. As it is, it doesn’t work over usb at all properly so it’s just not usable for me - until I get that, the q15 sits in my drawer and I use Sony WM1AM2 with software eq.

I can live with iffy app and some issues as long as I can use the eq without too much fuss.

I agree Qudelix would do well to release a higher end dac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back